advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

It doesn't matter if you drop bits as long as there's enough resolution to represent the smallest original different in adjacent values, 24bit vol is good enough for -40db without having to worry on all but the very quietest signals.

Analogue preamp is just easier, for me at least

If you upsample from 16 to 64 bit and then reduce the volume significantly you’re still dropping bits
I do not care about theoretical scenarios only real world scenarios. HQPlayer might actually use more than 64 bit. All I know is that HQPlayer volume does not decrease SQ and clams to be the best software volume control and better than any DAC’s digital volume control. There are several that prefer to use it with DAC and amps direct.
Personally I prefer a preamp or a integrated amp like I use.

Radio silence on the facebook group, I know JohnW was sending email updates out to some people... Anyone had one recently?

This from June 15,

"Dear MDAC2 ProJect development sponsors,

Project update - MDAC2 B01 PCB's have arrived and have started to build test sections (Posts from FB):-

Finally coaxing the MDAC2 clock circuit into life - I will post more later in the week - hopefully I'll soon be able to move onto the DAC array Regulator circuit... then the DAC array...
As a tease - the MDAC2 DAC array uses 32x 16bit DAC's "elements" each operating at x16 FS per channel... this gives the FPGA modulator a "huge" analogue domain resolution to "work with"... most importantly this allows a "Simple" low order modulator design...

I now have NOS (New Old Stock) DAC array IC's in Lakewest stock to build all development sponsored units - but with the worldwide semiconductor situation just getting worst everyday - the other ICs used in the design will be the limiting factor when we move to production (but they are "in production" so its just a time factor).

Attached is a pic of the Clock section that I've been working on since the Pcb's arrived - it incorporates a novel (as far as I'm aware) - Active LF phase noise reduction circuit that took awhile to "tame"... Sometimes I get upset with myself for "pushing the design tech to far", but once "over the debugging hump" and things start to work out - it feels better...
In the corner of the Pic there's a 0.5mm lead pencil to get an idea of the size of the components - the tiny size makes debugging / optimization hard to say the least...
The Clock section is physically isolated from the larger PCB vibrational bending forces (which takes on a "Traveling wave" form across the PCB) which would induce physical stress into the SMT parts and would otherwise result in induced Phase noise modulation...

I'll post more as the build and testing progresses"

Is there any way to get updates w/o logging in here? I cannot feel the pain anymore, and don't want to get reminded too often, though.

Obviously no FB.

This entire project is a matter of faith. Insofar as one must believe deeply, and not to expect answers to prayers. After all, He works in Mysterious Ways. Or not at all, as it often the case. Does He exist? Or is our faith misguided? Answers on a bible, please....

After 8 years I’d be looking into legal avenues for getting my money back.

Has John even offered an apology for these delays to date?

The source, is that John said he was doing one for them years ago, but it fell through, now they have a new dac coming soon. 2+2=m

The source, is that John said he was doing one for them years ago, but it fell through, now they have a new dac coming soon. 2+2=m
This would explain much to me as its happened a couple of times already during this project. Much of the delays are JW working on other projects IMHO. If this Exposure DAC is resistor and FPGA based and moderately hi-end, maybe we'll be offered a slightly modified version of it... Just guessing.

advertisement

Back