advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

Neither of them close to beating the measurements of the May.

The Teac delivered 102/104db for thd+noise at 4v from the network input.

The two current top spec project dacs can only muster 0.0006% while the May does 0.000117%

The Holo May lv2 is around 10db better in every measurement.

I am pretty sure without bothering looking it up on ASR that both ProJect S2 and Teac NT-505 that I also have measure better than the May. But the May easily beats both on SQ.

But, they don't and it should!

Neither of them close to beating the measurements of the May.

The Teac delivered 102/104db for thd+noise at 4v from the network input.

The two current top spec project dacs can only muster 0.0006% while the May does 0.000117%

The Holo May lv2 is around 10db better in every measurement.

However, it remains the case that the difference between all quality DACs is often a matter of preference and may actually be the result of the analogue circuitry between the DAC chip(s) and the output fed to the power amps (whether that be in a separate pre or part of the DAC), or the impedance match between each DAC and amp.

Having said that, the May DAC does look very interesting!!! Trouble is that I would need a new pre-amp as well, as I currently use a Mytek Manhattan II (which is a combined DAC and analogue pre). I wonder what the May would sound like with a Tron Atlantic mmmm...

Last edited:
Having said that, the May DAC does look very interesting!!! Trouble is that I would need a new pre-amp as well, as I currently use a Mytek Manhattan II (which is a combined DAC and analogue pre). I wonder what the May would sound like with a Ton Atlantic mmmm...
If you do not mind the extra complexity you can use software volume control in HQPlayer or Roon. HQPlayer is supposed to be the best. Some actually prefer this amp direct to DAC approach. Personally I prefer a preamp as it is less complex and nothing can go wrong.

If you do not mind the extra complexity you can use software volume control in HQPlayer or Roon. HQPlayer is supposed to be the best. Some actually prefer this amp direct to DAC approach. Personally I prefer a preamp as it is less complex and nothing can go wrong.

I agree with you on using a preamp, even if it is passive. I quite like the idea of the Tron, as I have read a lot of good things about it. Trouble is that the May/Tron combination would be c£10k.

I removed my Preamp (Linn Kairn) about 3 years ago. I use software volume control. Removing the Preamp was an instant and pretty large improvement in SQ. I would not go back to having a Preamp as I'm only a single (DAC) input user these days.

As I've said before, I can't see how a Preamp could improve the SQ.

The May is very inticing. If I could be certain that the FDAC/MDAC project was definitely off... I could redirect my saved up pennies towards the May.

Well, analogue attenuation is free, snr wise, whereas digital attenuation isn't. And as I'd have to use my dac between -40-30db on the volume control to achieve sensible listening levels direct into my power amps I'd rather stick a pre in there.

Well, analogue attenuation is free, snr wise, whereas digital attenuation isn't. And as I'd have to use my dac between -40-30db on the volume control to achieve sensible listening levels direct into my power amps I'd rather stick a pre in there.
I did try a Project PreBox (as I really wanted a remote to control volume) and even that was quite noticeably inferior to no Preamp at all.

If as you say, I may be suffering snr loss, what would you recommend I try bearing in mind I need remote volume control.

Whether one would be better off using a pre, in my view, depends upon the DAC. I currently use RME and Mytek DACs, which have hardware volume controls (RME has a hybrid digital/analogue VC and the Myteks have a choice of digital or analogue). These sound better direct into the power amps (using the analogue VC in the Myteks avoids the S/N issue pointed out above at low levels).

I have not heard any streaming application whose software VC does not degrade the SQ, probably because none of these are bit perfect. This is why most good apps allow the software VC to be bypassed.

As I understand it, the May DAC doesn’t include any form of hardware VC, hence the need for a preamp. A simple passive might well work just fine. I suggested the Tron above because of its reputation for excellent SQ, and I have always quite fancied one!

You may wish to do some digging into streaming app volume control, aiming nearly all are 32 bit or better for attenuation, any degradation is coming from elsewhere, driver etc.

You may wish to do some digging into streaming app volume control, aiming nearly all are 32 bit or better for attenuation, any degradation is coming from elsewhere, driver etc.

It is my understanding that software volume controls alter the data and, therefore, cannot be bit perfect.

Having said that, do you mean that some streaming app volume controls work in the same way as the digital volume control in ESS (and other) DAC chips, by converting the incoming bit rate to 32 bit and then attenuating that? I know that this approach works well in hardware. However, for whatever reason, I have yet to hear a software volume control that does not degrade the SQ in use. You may be right that the cause is down to associated software, drivers etc. I don't know.

I don't know many streaming apps, but all the desktop music apps certainly have 32bit or better volume control.

HQPlayer is best for digital volume control think it converts to 64bit You can also do upsampling and room correction at the same time without loss of precision. Sorry for being OT.

Important considerations are the type of dither that is used by the digital volume control, and the precision with which it is computed. Heavy attenuation without dither is pretty grim, but I think most players and DACs now do a good job. JRiver uses 32 bit arithmetic and gives you a choice of TPDF and bit exact dither, Audacity and sox have all sorts of options, I think the ESS chip does TPDF, and so on. Last time I had a DAC and a decent pre-amp in the same room I couldn’t hear any advantage to having a preamp, so I sold the preamp. If a digital volume control throws away bits does an analogue volume control throw away electrons?

advertisement

Back