advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

Am I interpreting this correctly: you think JW has essentially lost his marbles and is so delusional that he is talking about circuitry etc that only exists in his imagination? Let me assure you, that is (somewhat ironically) just paranoia. Furthermore the suggestion that he is working on technology that has already been superseded is baseless speculation. In fact the exact opposite is true. Some major elements of the design are absolutely unique. In those respects MDAC2 will be like no other DAC on the market.

I reckon that DAC technology is now so good he cannot beat a good implementation of a modern chipset.

I reckon that DAC technology is now so good he cannot beat a good implementation of a modern chipset.
Well if you worship at the altar of ASR then that may be true, but personally I don’t believe Amir’s measurements tell the whole story. ASR is a misnomer; it should be called AER. I’ll leave it for you to work out what I’m referring to . . . .

Am I interpreting this correctly: you think JW has essentially lost his marbles and is so delusional that he is talking about circuitry etc that only exists in his imagination? Let me assure you, that is (somewhat ironically) just paranoia. Furthermore the suggestion that he is working on technology that has already been superseded is baseless speculation. In fact the exact opposite is true. Some major elements of the design are absolutely unique. In those respects MDAC2 will be like no other DAC on the market.

Yes, maybe I'm wrong Ian.
Our grandsons will find out for sure..

And it's a legend in being like no other dac already today.
It's usability is showing light limitations, apart from that it's just phantastic..

And it's quite obvious you first have to re-interpret what I wrote in your own words
to come to the conclusion I am paranoid myself.
Your re-interpretation is vital for your conclusion for the simple reason, my original text does not offer such conclusion by itself.
Because I precisely understood what I wrote.

Offering a possibilty for consideration is not the same as plain suggesting something.
The difference is fine but important.

I'll give you another historically well known example as a quote some paranoid people in Berlin did not believe in:

'Nobody has the intention to build a wall'

In some way that was the exact opposing situation to our's,
as they claimed something would not come to exist.
But it did.

So to have a limited trust in things that are said is not always only paranoid.
With certain key signatures, it can be quite healthy.

And as far as I see this, we are drowning in key signatures here the moment..

Last edited:
I have utter faith in John delivering a dac, just not to all of those on pfm who paid for it and not anytime soon.

He delivers DACs, just not to us and if he has run out of money, highly likely since he seems to have wasted it on useless toys, there isn’t much chance of him doing so.

Agreed there's no virtually no science on ASR, just discussion of measurements, which he does very well and almost entirely without bias or favour.

Well if you worship at the altar of ASR then that may be true, but personally I don’t believe Amir’s measurements tell the whole story. ASR is a misnomer; it should be called AER. I’ll leave it for you to work out what I’m referring to . . . .

I hear what you're saying. You're entitled to your own opinion. I just totally disagree.

I hear what you're saying. You're entitled to your own opinion. I just totally disagree.
One day when I find myself with nothing better to do, I’m going to start a thread entitled, Why the objectivists and the subjectivists have both got it wrong . . .

'German dulness and English affectation have of late much multiplied amongst us the use of two of the most objectionable words that were ever coined […] namely, "Objective" and "Subjective". No words can be more exquisitly, and in all points, useless'

John Ruskin, 1856

'German dulness and English affectation have of late much multiplied amongst us the use of two of the most objectionable words that were ever coined […] namely, "Objective" and "Subjective". No words can be more exquisitly, and in all points, useless'

John Ruskin, 1856
You should post that on ASR. Second thoughts, don’t bother.

I can wait a bit longer, but not years, now that I just got my fourth waiting DAC after selling my MDAC:( on the positive side I can now do a meaningful benchmark of the MDAC2. The MDAC2/FDAC has to be better than my May DAC else this has been all for nothing for me.
We are nearing the end of even my patience, but If the MDAC2 beat the May I will still consider all this worthwhile:)

If anyone wants to buy the dac John promised years ago, you can. It's called the Holo Audio May.
@Rune : Hang on a sec...you actually have the Holo Audio May ?

..of which Simon said it is the Dac John promised years ago ?
So..if it is the Dac John promised and we are waiting for,
then how can it be better than the Holo Audio May, if it's essentially the same thing..?

And @ 4700 european knobs for the Holo Audio May, I'm not only out,
but maybe even in denial I ever signed.

I disagree. I think that, regardless of the measurements reported on ASR, it remains true that "DAC technology is now so good he cannot beat a good implementation of a modern chipset". I base this view on listening to different DACs and hearing the improvements over the years. As for ASR, Amir is always at pains to point out that many of the measured differences he reports are inaudible and of no real world relevance.

@Rune : Hang on a sec...you actually have the Holo Audio May ?

..of which Simon said it is the Dac John promised years ago ?
So..if it is the Dac John promised and we are waiting for,
then how can it be better than the Holo Audio May, if it's essentially the same thing..?

And @ 4700 european knobs for the Holo Audio May, I'm not only out,
but maybe even in denial I ever signed.
Yes I got a May, but it has nothing to do with John, I think the reference to “promised years ago” is to the performance we were promised.
And you are not going to pay anything near to what the May costs:)

I disagree. I think that, regardless of the measurements reported on ASR, it remains true that "DAC technology is now so good he cannot beat a good implementation of a modern chipset". I base this view on listening to different DACs and hearing the improvements over the years. As for ASR, Amir is always at pains to point out that many of the measured differences he reports are inaudible and of no real world relevance.
There are several other DAC designers that think they can beat chip DAC’s and do beat them.To name a few brands Chord, DCS, Holo Audio, Mola Mola etc. all discrete DAC’s.
I am pretty sure without bothering looking it up on ASR that both ProJect S2 and Teac NT-505 that I also have measure better than the May. But the May easily beats both on SQ.

advertisement

Back