advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

Have you not been reading this thread for six years. Products have always been just weeks away...
Yep.

Indeed.

I imagine there are broadly 3 groups -

Those 90 or so already on FB who're comfortable ignoring that.

On here 2 groups -

One of them have decided that no matter what, John will get no further MDAC cash from them - I have a lot of sympathy for that view especially if the person has paid out what to them is a lot - £3k per amp being the most obvious one.

The other, in spite of the 6 years is trying to be open minded - in case what John comes up with (assuming he does) is of interest in their current situation.

I paid out I think it was around £300 which I've written off mentally and fortunately for me isn't a lot. I have a set up that works well for me and if whatever John offers doesn't improve the functionality in my setup then I'd not even consider it.

If I have a fault tomorrow, then I feel like I'd end up with a replacement from RME or MiniDSP - tho I haven't looked at the market for a while. So logically that's the comparison that interests me ie how will Johns features/price compare with whatever those 2 have on offer at the time.

Many years ago, way back in the mists of time I fronted John a not insignificant amount of cash on a large multi supplier order for components required to get this project off the ground. Back before the first round of cash payments was even a thing. Fair to say I was the first with skin in this particular game. Actually it was I who started the first mdac2 thread on pfm.

I know I'll never see the detox I paid dev funds for, let alone the Fdac, remember that, that John promised me for my behind the scenes financial support.

I genuinely hope others are more successful.

Years old ?:)

Its a running joke at this end, but life has changed SOOO much since the original payment was placed with JohnW.
Now married, got a seven year old who is nearly eight, moved to a very different house. System has evolved enormously and is now longer a traditional 2.1 hifi.. Now on a fancy receiver with 7.1 surround and full room correction.

Have you not been reading this thread for six years. Products have always been just weeks away...

Yes, wish I had kept a diary of all the 'weeks away'/'XXX show' promises. Full of hot air!
What he really could do with is a project manager leaning on him from the start, with defined targets/goals etc.. I do remember someone on here being quite vocal about offering that/suggesting that numerous times.

I have put my name down on the facebook list with John, but wont be parting with a penny more until products are shipping, and I have a copy of the end purchase costs at the time I paid:
"The final stage “Production unit cost” £150 ~ £200 + optional Vishay Z-foil resistors + shipping"

What is the betting that the production costs end up being 3-4x more than this? "because of reasons"

Is there a set of prices against functionality levels that someone can share please?
I don't think there is any proposed price. My understanding is that people were asked to say whether they were interested in various options on a "no commitment" basis. I think this has already been quoted on this thread.
Given the absence of commitment I think the idea is that anyone who does not come forward at this stage may be regarded as having decided they don't want it in any event. If you aren't sure then best opt in.

If you aren't sure then best opt in.

How can you opt in if it's a closed Facebook group you can't access?

I would imagine the total for the MDAC board and the other gubbins will be north of £1k, plus whatever development cost you've already spent.

If Sq is out of it that should tell you something, i guess we've been had.

Don't let my experience guide anyone, I'm confident John will deliver an excellent dac, with cutting edge technology and sound Just to how many people and at what price remains to be seen.

Posted Monday 14th June 2021
Finally coaxing the MDAC2 clock circuit into life - I will post more later in the week - hopefully I'll soon be able to move onto the DAC array Regulator circuit... then the DAC array...
As a tease - the MDAC2 DAC array uses 32x 16bit DAC's "elements" each operating at x16 FS per channel... this gives the FPGA modulator a "huge" analogue domain resolution to "work with"... most importantly this allows a "Simple" low order modulator design...

Posted Monday 14th June 2021
Finally coaxing the MDAC2 clock circuit into life - I will post more later in the week - hopefully I'll soon be able to move onto the DAC array Regulator circuit... then the DAC array...
As a tease - the MDAC2 DAC array uses 32x 16bit DAC's "elements" each operating at x16 FS per channel... this gives the FPGA modulator a "huge" analogue domain resolution to "work with"... most importantly this allows a "Simple" low order modulator design...

Could someone take the quotation marks away from him, please..?

I know I've been made an idiot, but I still don't like to be talked to like one.

The only word that's rightfully put in quotation marks is 'laser'.

I sincerely hope that John comes through for his investors/sponsors sometime soon.

You all have been waiting long enough.

I have no stake in this but seeing the recent post by “Captain Underpants” had me “wetting myself”, thanks!

Sure, but this whole Dr.Evil -speech parody to me had the mental health question rush around a distant corner.
If it's intentional -which I'm not sure of- in his situation would be a sour mix of irony and maybe self-pittyness.
Either way, the whole hide-and-seek-game with facebook, not coming clear to real investors combined with a style of talking as if nothing at all had happened (unintended pun..) makes me feel uncomfortable.

Also I'm not sure anymore if the things he is talking about are really physically in front of him on the table,
or if we are just a collective partner in a creative mind-puzzle.

The whole thing doesn't feel healthy to me, and that's a big part of why I shy away from it.
And would recommend to do so..

Sam really nailed it..the whole world has moved on, changed entirely for some of us since this began.
And with the wheel of technical evolution turning on quick, it's possible John is still working on a very innovative horse-carriage in a time when everyone is driving cars already.

Last edited:
Sure, but this whole Dr.Evil -speech parody to me had the mental health question rush around a distant corner.
If it's intentional -which I'm not sure of- in his situation would be a sour mix of irony and maybe self-pittyness.
Either way, the whole hide-and-seek-game with facebook, not coming clear to real investors combined with a style of talking as if nothing at all had happened (unintended pun..) makes me feel uncomfortable.

Also I'm not sure anymore if the things he is talking about are really physically in front of him on the table,
or if we are just a collective partner in a creative mind-puzzle.

The whole thing doesn't feel healthy to me, and that's a big part of why I shy away from it.
And would recommend to do so..

Sam really nailed it..the whole world has moved on, changed entirely for some of us since this began.
And with the wheel of technical evolution turning on quick, it's possible John is still working on a very innovative horse-carriage in a time when everyone is driving cars already.
Am I interpreting this correctly: you think JW has essentially lost his marbles and is so delusional that he is talking about circuitry etc that only exists in his imagination? Let me assure you, that is (somewhat ironically) just paranoia. Furthermore the suggestion that he is working on technology that has already been superseded is baseless speculation. In fact the exact opposite is true. Some major elements of the design are absolutely unique. In those respects MDAC2 will be like no other DAC on the market.

Am I interpreting this correctly: you think JW has essentially lost his marbles and is so delusional that he is talking about circuitry etc that only exists in his imagination? Let me assure you, that is (somewhat ironically) just paranoia. Furthermore the suggestion that he is working on technology that has already been superseded is baseless speculation. In fact the exact opposite is true. Some major elements of the design are absolutely unique. In those respects MDAC2 will be like no other DAC on the market.

hehe - can’t resist - re. Last sentence - it already is today…in as much as it is not :)

advertisement

Back