advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

I have no doubt he'll deliver, and I have no doubt itll be a well featured and stunning sounding product/s.

The problem is that many of us may have hearing that has deteriorated to the point where we will be unable to appreciate it and as I have pointed out before on a statistical basis seven backers will have died and therefore definitely be unable to appreciate it.

I'm guilty of the occasional outburst though I don't think I've been at all unpleasant. I'm only in for 50 quid for Detox which won't ever see the light of day. My 50 can't go towards DAC funding as I don't want another DAC. I've not met JW but it seems like he's a decent bloke who's got in over his head in terms of organising himself. From his writing I'd say there's a fair chance he's dyslexic which could contribute to his creativity but he could be a dyslexic who has awful organisational skills (as per someone in my family...).

I apply what I call the Saddam Hussain test in these situations. Ie weapons of mass destruction? We should have taken regard of evidence, what we found (or didn't). Taking what people say is not always going to give you a reliable view of the situation. JW may well come through with products in the end, he likely has good intentions. However we should set our expectations by the facts as we know them - ie expect nothing and maybe receive a nice surprise one day. If my 50 quid helps someone get a DAC or amp one day then that's a positive.

The problem is that many of us may have hearing that has deteriorated to the point where we will be unable to appreciate it and as I have pointed out before on a statistical basis seven backers will have died and therefore definitely be unable to appreciate it.
WRONG! Not many... You are just some...
I realize that doesn't make it any better for those affected. But you only speak for a very small minority. But verbally, you make yourself much bigger than you are.

Posted on facebook Lakewest Audio group:

Currently have Flu / Cold so listening sessions are out
1f641.png
:( , but working on the technical aspects of the DevDAC PCB...

Let's get to the important bit and cut out the distraction techniques by squabbling over how many people might or might not agree with investor A, B, C or X's opinion.

DevDACII rev A02 - what is the current status?
What is the next step, rev A03? If so what needs to be done to get to rev A03 and what is the timescale for ordering rev A03 boards.
When will a fully populated, fully functional board likely to be available - is it envisaged this will be rev A03 or will it be rev A04?
New best guesstimate date for first batch of DevDACII to be shipping?

FDAC - what are the current timescales?

If John can answer these questions here, on this forum, that would be helpful.

WRONG! Not many... You are just some...
I realize that doesn't make it any better for those affected. But you only speak for a very small minority. But verbally, you make yourself much bigger than you are.

I am expressing an opinion I believe to be true, as are you. You have no right to tell me that I am wrong and besides why do you think you have the moral high ground since you are whining about our complaints?

I can understand that you don't like to be pushed back to the right level.
You are much more important when you speak for everyone. Only, you don't!
You are a handful of people who think they can achieve something here through pushiness. Obviously, you've achieved nothing. You can't even reach your "enemy". You're all on his ignore list. But for this you are holding us / the rest of us hostage. We are also cut off from the flow of information by your absurd behaviour.

We know that any prognosis is useless. Still, would be nice to read at least regular status updates. We only have some here thanks to ti33er and others. It should not be like that.

These are the products that are still in the mix - in this delivery order?
- DevDACII: how many? (75? 100? 150?). I suppose that any money paid in for MDAC2s will be converted to this build?
- FDAC: how many? (10? 20? 30? 40?)
- VFET Mono Blocks: how many? (20? 30? 40?)

What will the final features of the builds be?
- For example I remember that there were all sorts of ideas, among them for an onboard phono stage on the FDAC.
- Will the VFETs have RCA in and/or XLR in + RCA out and/or XLR out? How will the VFET-chips be protected so they do not fry?

Cases? Along the way some quite fancy cases were rendered, but what will the various builds be cased in, I wonder? Modushop cases or fancier Chinese-made CNC thingies? For me a set of nice Modushop amp cases are fine.

Detox is out: what will happen to the money paid in?
Streaming boards are out, I think.
MDAC2 is out + salvaged MDAC2s are out: what will happen to the money paid in for salvaged MDAC2s?
Smaller "spin-off" amps from the VFET development are out, I suppose. Did anyone pay any money in?

There is also the question of final payments when the various DACs and amps have been completed. According to the original agreement, I would need to pay another £500 (I have paid in £3000 or so already). After a wait for 6 years, I am not really interested in paying anything more until I have the actual VFETs in my possession and I am ready to travel to the Czech Republic myself to pick them up to make sure that the VFETs are as promised.

I do like it when one group of people tell another they arent entitled to express their opinion, this always ends well.
You dont have a monopoly on opinion Fred. You've said your piece, let's others have their go, eh?

I have something against populists with their simple "truths", who then also think they can speak for everyone. But they do not. They speak just for themselves and a small but vocal minority. One should think about that from time to time and point it out.
I don't mind other people's opinions. It's just that they speak for themself.

I think you'll find more p1ssed off people than otherwise on this thread. If my pm box is anything to go by.

If you look at the last shot below you can see the the Project RS digital box on the Hifi rack, this was everything the FDAC/MDAC/WHATEVER was supposed to be.

What you/we asked for was this...

AVimg_28829.jpg

AVimg_28832.jpg

AVimg_28831.jpg

AVimg_28833.jpg

what we waited for was this....

83403525_916295332106609_2821128862987976704_o.jpg

Projects boxes on the top right hand corner of the rack. Perhaps John can state what involvement, development he had in these, maybe he had none? who knows.

84808211_916295262106616_7023908469845524480_o.jpg

84808211_916295262106616_7023908469845524480_o.jpg

I can understand that you don't like to be pushed back to the right level.
You are much more important when you speak for everyone. Only, you don't!
You are a handful of people who think they can achieve something here through pushiness. Obviously, you've achieved nothing. You can't even reach your "enemy". You're all on his ignore list. But for this you are holding us / the rest of us hostage. We are also cut off from the flow of information by your absurd behaviour.

Again it’s been pointed out to you that the dev dac is more in line with what was originally promised and that is a result of complaints, however you have no wish to recognise it. Go back in your box please.

Anyone herd the pro-ject dac (with tube output as well). It really look interesting (not nanny balanced tube output these days)

advertisement

Back