advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

Just an Update on DevDAC timeline, we have a weekend listening session arrange for the last week of January - where we will be comparing the DevDAC against a Chord Dave + the Chord oversampling filter...

Personally, I'd be satisfied if DevDacII sounds in the class of a Chord Hugo 2. Let's save the Dave for ultimate challenge named FDAC :)

I use a very strong magnifying glass, and an USB microscope attached to my computer. Now all I need is a surgical micro-manipulator. :)

I had to buy one of those headband magnifiers thingies (a Tenner from fleabay) just to be able to solder up a DIN plug!

That’s probably why my colleagues don’t let me near hardware anymore. Ha, they’ll miss me when I’m gone......:D:D

Personally, I'd be satisfied if DevDacII sounds in the class of a Chord Hugo 2. Let's save the Dave for ultimate challenge named FDAC :)
I REALLY have no idea how it will compare - never heard a Hugo / Dave!!!

Its going to be interesting!

Who is attending the listening session John? Anyone professional/commercial?

Commercial? - Never!

Just fellow HiFi enthusiasts visiting from the UK to compare the DevDAC with Dave - it will be interesting to hear the Chord design :)

Last edited:
Hi Tony, sorry for the late reply, I'd stopped monitoring the MDAC post.

I have invested a total of 6x£100 for MDAC2/FDAC and a further £2300 for VFET

A grand total of £2900

I have retained the documentary evidence in the form of emails and PayPal receipts. I have not so far received any product.

I am now well over 70 years old and my ability to hear the delights of HiFi sound are now behind me. After this length of time I would no longer be interested in receiving either the DAC or amplifiers. They would not be of any use to me.

It may be that both myself and Adam on on John's 'ignore' list so can someone else please copy these questions in to their post so that John can see them? If you just quote this or Adam's post he won't bother reading it.
Adam asked these questions 2 weeks ago and John has not responded. Has there been an update on Facebook?

So. With Christmas coming:-
a) is the PCB design complete? If not what part of the design remains to be completed and when is it likely to be completed? By when does the manufacturer need the completed design in order to meet that date?
b) when can the PCB be manufactured?
c) has the chassis been designed. If not what part of the design remains to be completed and when is it likely to be completed?
d) when can the chassis be manufactured? Has this been firmed up with the manufacturer? by when does the manufacturer need the completed design in order to meet that date?

It may be that both myself and Adam on on John's 'ignore' list so can someone else please copy these questions in to their post so that John can see them? If you just quote this or Adam's post he won't bother reading it.
Adam asked these questions 2 weeks ago and John has not responded. Has there been an update on Facebook?

So. With Christmas coming:-
a) is the PCB design complete? If not what part of the design remains to be completed and when is it likely to be completed? By when does the manufacturer need the completed design in order to meet that date?
b) when can the PCB be manufactured?
c) has the chassis been designed. If not what part of the design remains to be completed and when is it likely to be completed?
d) when can the chassis be manufactured? Has this been firmed up with the manufacturer? by when does the manufacturer need the completed design in order to meet that date?

One Facebook all we've heard is that the DEVDAC will be subject to a group listening test at the end of January - so no new news. Questions regarding the case etc haven't been mentioned.

There is an update on Facebook ...John’s dog was hospitalised and on a drip, being tended to at home so slowed him down a bit; and Jarek had an exam so hasn’t quite finished the software, unable to operate the DAC until so. Listening tests confirmed for January though

it’s easy to join facebook, just make a pseudonym and make up some slightly phoney personal details if you don’t want them voyeuring :)

No it isn’t easy to join the Facebook group when John bans you.
Can you ask him to come on here and answer the questions posted by Adam 2 weeks ago. They are very simple questions to answer, either the items are done or they are not.

There is an update on Facebook ...John’s dog was hospitalised and on a drip, being tended to at home so slowed him down a bit; and Jarek had an exam so hasn’t quite finished the software, unable to operate the DAC until so. Listening tests confirmed for January though

it’s easy to join facebook, just make a pseudonym and make up some slightly phoney personal details if you don’t want them voyeuring :)

Did the dog get ill because it ate Jarek’s homework?

Asking for a hundred or so friends.

It is absurd that we should be grubbing about trying to get an update. Given the 6 year history of this matter, and widespread discontent (to put it mildly), when John ditched the old case Mdac2 in favour of the Devdac recently -on the basis that the DevDac was nearly ready- he must have known that people would expect regular updates and prompt delivery.
For my own part I would prefer it if John would just be a man and come clean. Is he bothering to try to deliver a project or not? If so, and the Dac was so very nearly complete what the hell has his dog got to do with it? Is there anyone left who believes this rubbish?

It is absurd that we should be grubbing about trying to get an update. Given the 6 year history of this matter, and widespread discontent (to put it mildly), when John ditched the old case Mdac2 in favour of the Devdac recently -on the basis that the DevDac was nearly ready- he must have known that people would expect regular updates and prompt delivery.

To be fair, I'm prepared to believe that the DevDac is nearly completed (though wasn't it ever so?). On the other hand I'm waiting for the problems associated with sourcing the casing at a competitive price.

Another year passes with nothing to show for our investment.

I believe it’s just he didn’t get as much done as intended these past two weeks; Jarek hasn’t completed the UI but he is still working the DAC AFAIK

So it's safe to say the intended listening session in January is just wishful thinking at this point as there is still no product.

On the 30th of October (5 weeks ago) John Westlake said:

"We are 2 (hopefully) PCB spins away from production release of the DevDACII, with the next PCB to be issued within 3 weeks."

If John Westlake hasn't completed this then he needs to come here and tell us what his new timeline is. It is not acceptable to just ignore this thread and not give updates on what he has said he will do.

I have also emailed John Westlake 3 times since the 8th of November asking when the FDAC is going to be ready - 3 months, 6 months, 12 months? I have had no reply to all 3 of my emails.

ti33er, you seem to have the ear of John Westlake, can you ask him to come here and give an update on what he has completed in the past 5 weeks?

Is this a side project or something that is being run alongside his main interests?

This is a project which we were led to believe was going to have John's full attention, was started in September 2013, and was meant to take 9 months. People have paid John Westlake around £100,000 to develop and as of today we have received nothing.
We have had every excuse under the sun as to why nothing has been completed.
It is a sorry tale and one which I think is going to end badly sooner or later for all those involved.

advertisement

Back