advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

I literally thought he meant waxed in the way that people have their legs waxed.

His cure for the inevitable ear foliage of his latter years.

The steal a line from the Stranglers ...did it make your ears burn ?
When I lived in Cape Town I had a Syrian barber and he used to offer a nose wax.

The wax was very warm and a metallic blue. He would put it in your nose and wait a minute for it to set.Then a sharp yank and it was all over.

It didn’t make my nose burn but it did make my eyes water!!

I presume you mean de-waxed?

.... Most anglo saxons, probably 90% shouldn't ever need it (ethnicity plays a role).
Well quite- tying both points together (regular microsuction client here)- I was once referred to the Royal National Ear Nose and Throat Hospital and was seen by a very junior doctor of SE Asian origin who was initially appalled and had to be reassured by one of his colleagues that, revolting though they undoubtedly were, my hairy ears were not evidence of a hitherto-undreamt-of medical condition.

There's been an update on FB by JW, but I don't know what to make of it. All I can glean is the LCD display is close to being finalised. A 'Munich' unit is still the goal, but what this unit will consist of I can't figure out.

There's been an update on FB by JW, but I don't know what to make of it. All I can glean is the LCD display is close to being finalised. A 'Munich' unit is still the goal, but what this unit will consist of I can't figure out.

Can you copy and paste the post here? Is the "Munich unit" to tout to possible manufacturers?

Can you copy and paste the post here? Is the "Munich unit" to tout to possible manufacturers?
I'd rather not as it sometimes (actually, always) eventually leads to a negative string of posts which just gets me down... I like looking up at the stars (mostly). I'll leave that to a fellow traveller better able to respond from a JW perspective to the inevitable questions and tub thumping.

If I knew what that meant I’d know whether to congratulate or feel sorry for you.
Let me tell you what it means.

I'm 63 later this month and I've been aware for a few years that the top end of my hearing range has gone - it's an inevitability, and I found one of these frequency generators years ago.

There are many pieces of music that I am very familiar with and my enjoyment of them over decades hasn't changed one bit. The vast majority of the recorded music we enjoy is produced below 4-5Khz so anything missing at 12-20Khz doesn't appear to be spoiling it for me and doesn't appear to matter. If you ever get a new DAC, you'll enjoy the music. Just don't bank on getting a JW one...

At this rate, I better bequeathe my space on the waiting list to my grandchildren .... I ordered back when I was a young 51-year old, now I'm a young 60-year old but 9 years closer to the day I die.

I hate to say I hate your guts
For taking me for this old ride.
I hate that all the promises
you made but did not keep,
was just so you could take
What wasn't yours to take,
then leave. You Fake!

I'm in two minds about whether to got to Munich this year. I don't think the 'Munich Unit' will be any more than a metal box with a LCD display....Ho hum.

I'm in two minds about whether to got to Munich this year. I don't think the 'Munich Unit' will be any more than a metal box with a LCD display....Ho hum.
If it is the only reason for going to Munich then I would probably not do it.
I am going because I wanted to go regardless. Last time I was there was 2019 and have not been there since because of Covid and restrictions.
So now is a good time to see what else I can spend a fortune on(In my dreams).

@Rune Seeing John and the XDac was my main reason for going to Munich this year (I've never been before). My nature is too optimistic and I was hoping John would have a working DAC and may even have demoed it. Perhaps by convincing one of the vendors (Pro-ject or Audiolab) to grab an hour in their room to put in the XDac to give the sponsors a quick listen. We could have followed that up with a dinner later in the evening to discuss what we heard and perhaps forget about this projects delays and woes over some beers.

Anyway from my understanding and my projecting into the future from recent data inputs, I don't see this will happen until next year's Munich. I'm also busy this year with other things. I would probably feel that I didn't get everything I hoped for from the visit.

I guess I just cancelled my visit. I was told at Audio Deluxe Show that flights get booked early, so I would have to pay top prices there too.

Last edited:
Well I said I hoped it would be ready before my retirement. I’ve now taken my pension. However, I’ve 5 months until retirement. Here is hoping. I might have to get another job!

Well I said I hoped it would be ready before my retirement. I’ve now taken my pension. However, I’ve 5 months until retirement. Here is hoping. I might have to get another job!

That’s what I thought and I retired 9 years ago so you have a long wait yet!

advertisement

Back