advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

I noted with keen interest when I met him when he said that he had helped on the PT Pip preamp too. This was because I used to own one and raved about how good it was to everyone that came for a listen at the time. He was suitably pleased with my enthusiasm for the Pip.

I noted with keen interest when I met him when he said that he had helped on the PT Pip preamp too. This was because I used to own one and raved about how good it was to everyone that came for a listen at the time. He was suitably pleased with my enthusiasm for the Pip.
His work for PT is the main source of the myth....

It's time for the question...
Any updates at FB?
No updates that I've seen, but a recent post on FB from JW suggests the time frame has slipped to the end of this year (tooling costs) I was expecting Munich High End show, this summer to see the XDac. Vfets have slipped too...to next year.

... suggests the time frame has slipped to the end of this year ... I was expecting Munich High End show, this summer to see the XDac...
You must be joking, aren't you?

Time frame has slipped? How on earth could that have happened?
Never would have imagined something like that, after all the chrometer-like timing before. No, even atomic clock accuracy in this case.

You must be joking, aren't you?

Time frame has slipped? How on earth could that have happened?
Never would have imagined something like that, after all the chrometer-like timing before. No, even atomic clock accuracy in this case.

Is it time for a class action yet?

I really shouldn’t get involved here, but to my mind ‘tooling costs’ is simply not an excuse in 2023. If he’s done the design work Gerber files can be made into really high quality boards by the likes of PCBWay or equivalent and they can do CNC machining, 3d printing etc from established CAD files too. No need to pay for ‘tooling’ at all. The term implies injection moulding, and no one does that on anything this small scale.

…tried this the other day and was quite shocked that I can only hear just past 13khz :

Before Covid lockdown, it was around 16khz

…not sure a SuperDAC is worth me hunting for anymore

(FWIW my 77 year old Mum could hear 8.5Khz vs 11yo Daughter 18khz; although she thinks it’s my iPhone limiting the frequencies beyond that because it made a slight ‘pik’ like sound around there and went silent)!

This week you ask........
This was you in 2019......
So....from 2013....10 years !
Are you still convinced the great DAC is coming ?
Of course!
For me 3 things were always important:
* To refer our share of the delays to the beginning of the project.
* Also, at the beginning I had the impression that there was a '"transparent" communication from John. The impact of its content was accepted by the majority.
* That there are those involved in this round who, without regard for the others, have massively attacked John here at every opportunity and have thus driven him away.
But I have always referred to the lack of regular and comprehensive communication.

…tried this the other day and was quite shocked that I can only hear just past 13khz :

Before Covid lockdown, it was around 16khz

…not sure a SuperDAC is worth me hunting for anymore
Sadly time's arrow points one way, and there is no such thing as age-related hearing gain.

Of course!
For me 3 things were always important:
* To refer our share of the delays to the beginning of the project.
* Also, at the beginning I had the impression that there was a '"transparent" communication from John. The impact of its content was accepted by the majority.
* That there are those involved in this round who, without regard for the others, have massively attacked John here at every opportunity and have thus driven him away.
But I have always referred to the lack of regular and comprehensive communication.

If it does get delivered won't it be desperately out of date when it is ?

Things have surely moved on in the DAC world with infinitely cheaper solutions now available that perform just as well ?

You’re doing well, I’m only age 48 at 13khz …apparently at age 50 you should be able to hear 12khz and everyone should hear up to 8khz

advertisement

Back