advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

Don't give John too many good ideas. He will think that modularity is the greatest idea since sliced bread and start all over for the nth time.
EDIT: Probably a good thing then that John doesn't read this thread any longer.

Well, that's what he says

Anyway, had my GUSTARD R26 MQA Discrete R2R Decoder with Streamer/Renderer PCM768&DSD512 Bluetooth XMOS XU216 High Performance Audio Decoder for a couple of weeks now.
I've forgotten all about the fictional MDAC+
Very happy with this major upgrade. Wish it had existed years ago though, it have been 9 very long and frustrating years

Well, that's what he says

Anyway, had my GUSTARD R26 MQA Discrete R2R Decoder with Streamer/Renderer PCM768&DSD512 Bluetooth XMOS XU216 High Performance Audio Decoder for a couple of weeks now.
I've forgotten all about the fictional MDAC+
Very happy with this major upgrade. Wish it had existed years ago though, it have been 9 very long and frustrating years
Likewise, getting to really like my new Holo Audio Spring 3 DAC. The XDac will have to go some to beat this....but you never know it might.

"Project update
1f642.png

1. The Phase noise analyzer arrived last week (after 8 an months delay due to the semiconductor shortage). I've not had the time to power it up - I want to first complete the mechanical design and issue tootling drawings etc. before I get drawn into the inevitable "Rabbits hole" optimizing the DAC's clock performance etc.
2. Material for the front panel has arrived (the Front panel is CNCed machined from a 430x70x30 lump of aluminium – excited to see the first milled front panels once the drawings are completed.
3. Working from initial drawings, the display vendor confirms they can machine front panel display profile – so once they have the final drawings they will make samples of the Front panel display.
4. Most “samples” have arrived from China – so I have been working with the mechanical designer who is translating my 2D drawings into 3D, last week she spent drawing the “Component Parts” into 3D models (Connectors, screws, bearings, displays etc.) I hope this week we can actually start on the design itself – she has other work so hard to say when the drawings will be completed.
I've been working on the mechanical arrangement of the internal PCB's + connector locations – this requires partial PCB design to confirm critical component location so the mechanical designer can input these “fixed” positions into the 3D model.
Timeline – I plan to attend the Munich HiFI show 2023, and plan to have with me the DAC Mainframe completed (This is the DAC chassis, PSU, Clock sections, front panel etc.) - this is the most complex parts of the project completed, the variations of Digital input / DAC boards are then relativity quick...
So, Munich is the major project milestone – it will be tight, but I believe achievable. The toolings are an unknown – and much depends on how close the first spins are.
The project is progressing well here – and gathering steam as more parts arrive, I've even started to think about the remote control..."

By now, I'm fairly sure everyone will have their own views on whether this post is good news, bad news, or no news at all.

optimizing the DAC's clock performance
once the drawings are completed
once they have the final drawings
so hard to say when the drawings will be completed
this requires partial PCB design
the variations of Digital input / DAC boards are then relativity quick...
Munich is the major project milestone
ad infinitum...

So an empty box with chassis for Munich, but without actual DAC board is the most complex part, the actual DAC board is then "relatively quick" (in relation to 9 years)!

It seems we ordered manufacturing a pair of shoes, and now after we have waited 9 years for the deciding which color & form the shoe box will have, we are told the shoe itself is not that important and much quicker to design...

Even so, who believes that PSU and clock section will be ready for Munich tis time? And if it was, what should anyone do with that in Munich? Load his/her cell phone with it?

Last edited:
You guys whinging about the over run of this project need to get some perspective.

I ordered a new pair of Loakes over a month ago, they arrived yesterday, two weeks late and now I've got two broken heels full of pins and plates. At least you lot have working ears ;)

advertisement

Back