advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

At least he's not quiting so there is still hope for a dacX. After so much, let's hope he succeeds, after all expectations here are pretty much non-existent.

Sorry to see no mention of the VFETs.

If you do buy one, I'd be interested to hear how you get on. I am occasionally tempted, but there were reports of overheating with the original unit and the association with the Slovakian entrepreneur made me hesitant.

I have a Stack Audio Link II - feeding USB input on my Rega Isis (Roon source) - I'm very happy with the combination. Though not listened to it recently as my LP12 Soprano (against Stack Audio) is my go to front end.

On a general note - I've only the highest praise of Theo / Stack Audio - a great little UK company that majors on engineering excellence!

John posted the following update on FB:

DacX progress update
1f642.png

Last week I ordered Aluminium stock for the DacX Front panel prototypes – which is CNC to its final size of 430mm W x 70mm H x 30mm D
After a couple of months communicating with a display vendor in Taiwan and jumping though many hoops – I'm about to order 110pcs of one of the DacX display panels this week... this should cover engineering builds and the first 100 units..
To aid with the chassis design, over the past couple of months I've been ordering “mechanical items” from China – such as connectors, screws, bearings, washers etc. - this month alone I've had over 60 “positive” feedback on eBay – these are all basically items for the DacX chassis. Everything critical has arrived, and Renata has just posted them on to me – once they arrive then I can start the Soildworks 3D design.
This weekend, I forwarded the 2D drawing of the Front panel LCD / CTP Cover glass drawing to the vendor in China – hopefully I will hear back soon if my idea is manufacturable.
After working on the 2D design and a little 3D design, its really the first time I see the project coming together in its final form – and I'm really looking forward to it.
Phase noise analyser has still not arrived – I ordered it over 8 months ago now... the semiconductor situation is bad for everyone out there....
I'm working on many aspects of the design – nice to see things coming together.

Someone remind him people have been waiting 9 years for a DAC to be delivered by him.
Him getting annoyed about an 8 month wait for an analyser is somewhat crass under the circumstances.

I've just bought a Holo Audio Spring 3 DAC... I didn't expect another update for a few months. Anyway, maybe a prototype will actually exist by Christmas and hopefully sent out on tour. Will be interesting to compare if we ever get there... -(finally get there).

I've just bought a Holo Audio Spring 3 DAC... I didn't expect another update for a few months. Anyway, maybe a prototype will actually exist by Christmas and hopefully sent out on tour. Will be interesting to compare if we ever get there... -(finally get there).

Yeah, same here.
I would love to get the Holo Audio Spring 3 L2, but above my budget unfortunately.
Going for a Gustard R26 instead, should be a major step up from the MDAC as well.
Wasted too many years listening to JWL blah, blah, blah :mad:

With the recent rise in costs of everything how will he even manage to buy and supply everything that was paid for years ago.

Well, the original idea was that John Westlake was supposed to have bought all the components many years ago, not now in 2022.

Yeah, same here.
I would love to get the Holo Audio Spring 3 L2, but above my budget unfortunately.
Going for a Gustard R26 instead, should be a major step up from the MDAC as well.
Wasted too many years listening to JWL blah, blah, blah :mad:
I think it's safe to say any new DAC released in the last few years will beat the original MDAC, jitter rejection, general noise and isolated inputs are far better these days.
The Gustard is well reviewed and tested, it will be a safe buy. You can compare it to the dacX and sell on the less preferred if the dacX ever materialises. I wouldn't expect more than a very subtle difference...like Keith of this parish says buy on features that suit your needs and decent build quality.

The Spring 3 is growing on me, its rather good with YouTube music videos via an optical link from my TV....I spent over 4 hours in nostalgic hevean without any fatigue (that was never the case with the original MDAC).

With the recent rise in costs of everything how will he even manage to buy and supply everything that was paid for years ago.
It's all a bit moot now but strictly, we never paid for any parts, it was for development costs. The DAC once developed would be sold to us without any profit being made (at factory costs only). The production factory slowly shifted to in house and with bespoke parts like the display and chassis, the minimum order amount really kicks in. IMHO these parts should have all been 'off the shelf' . The USP should have be the design itself. But what do I know? (actually not much).

Last edited:

advertisement

Back