advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

Just found a Stack Link II STREAMER for sale that will set me back £500. I wonder who designed it and keeps refining it ....

2019: LINK
The follow up to the ONSET, the LINK was embodied the same machined from solid design in a smaller and form. For the digital circuitry and internal power supply, Stack Audio partnered with renown audio engineer John Westlake. John’s approach to preventing jitter and digital noise fitted perfectly with focus on the source.

2021: Refinement - LINK II
Never one to rest on laurels, John Westlake has refined the design of the LINK with an improved clock. Taking the approach further Stack Audio now sells the LINK II with its own external linear power supply, the VOLT.

Should I buy it to recover at least a little of my £3200?

I know that this has been mentioned before, but John keeps working on this for Stack Audio.

EDIT: I just alerted Stack Audio to this thread.
If you do buy one, I'd be interested to hear how you get on. I am occasionally tempted, but there were reports of overheating with the original unit and the association with the Slovakian entrepreneur made me hesitant.

Thoughts an Prayers indeed.

£2300 for VFET amps, not some esoteric, bleeding edge Dac build, amplifiers, known, mature, technology, that should be strait forward for a designer to make, I think there is a guy on ebay (i'm not going to mention him by name as i don't won't tether him to his thread, as he actually makes things that exist, are well regarded and look like they are built with care).

Up thread somewhere, there is discussion into JW using design ideas for a Project Dac that came from the MDAC2.
JW has used his design skills linked to the development of the MDAC and Detox, are there anymore manufacturers out there i wonder?

I'm really not sure why this story hasn't been picked up on by the Hi-fi press, surely someone must have some journalistic integrity? Or is it just insidious advertorials?
Ok no one has died, but the truth is i bet Rosewind and everyone else who's in for thousands could do with either their amps or the money right now. 8-9 years waiting and being thousands out of pocket...
We live in hope, lets hope JW builds some amps and sorts out the VFET customers.

Last edited:
For the record: Neither Stack Audio nor Project have any stakes in John Westlake's shenanigans.
John Westlake alone is responsible.

I am not an investor but perhaps Tony will let this go since this might be the best thread for it. I notice that Musical Fidelity have released the MX Stream: https://www.musicalfidelity.com/uploads/catalogerfiles/mx-stream/5_MF-MXStream-Flyer.pdf complete with Detox. Looks remarkably like the Stack in a single box. I’m just wondering if this is another JW input product brought to market while investors wait for something, anything.

I'd say based on layout that's not John's pcb work
I would agree with you, but there is a section labelled 'Detox', I thought that name was invented by JW but never trademarked, so perhaps it's just been adopted by another designer in the loop somewhere.

I received an email this morning alerting me to an update to this thread. But it doesn't seem to be here. Anyone else puzzled by this?

I received a notification. It was a post by someone with zero posts that made specific recommendations based on a claim that he was related to JW. Thus, good riddance to that post.

Update from Facebook……

Project update time :)

For initial accounting purposes, the MDAC2 / FDAC has been called “DacX” – The names grown on me, so from now on the design will be referred to as the DacX – as I was never sure wither to call it the MDAC2 or FDAC…
Over the past month I’ve been working on the DacX mechanical and “System” design, its been uplifting to finally see the product take shape in its pending “physical” form – rather then a collection of “development” PCB’s…

Mechanically, 80% of the 2D drawings are complete – over the past month I’ve ordered over 60 “Small” items from China (from Screws / grub screws, washers, bearings, connectors, displays etc.) – only 3 items have arrived so far (China shipments are VERY slow ATM), I need to physically measure some of these items before I can complete the 2D drawings, then turn them into a 3D Solidworks project.

Once the 3D drawings are completed I will open 4 extrusion tooling’s, with possibly 2 more (6 custom tooling’s) – it’s an investment to realise the design to the quality I’m visualising.

A bigger investment is the custom front panel display, originally the vendor requested an MOQ of 500pcs at about US$100 – US$120 each, and that was a real concern, however after working with the vendor on the designs, the vendors CEO agreed to an MOQ of 100pcs – so a far less painful upfront cost, I honestly have no idea how many of the original development sponsors are still interested in the DAC.

A confirmed features of the design – the DacX can support upto 8 audio channels over a single USB link (192KHz max in 8 Channel mode) – these can comprise of any mixture of “Slaved” DacX’s or the far cheaper 2 channel digital expansion module DAC’s for those of you who are experimenting with Active speaker systems etc.

I forgot to mention the ADC module WITH Phono Stage (using MC step-up transformers) – this will be a x2 slot wide module (DacX has 5 rear expansion slots).

Also, later there will be an FM/AM/DAB + APTX BT module… Not HiFi, but people keep asking if I can support Bluetooth… pains me to offer a “Non HiFi” source on this DAC I’ve worked so long and hard on…

The Microprocessor module now includes USB input + option to install a CM4 module so there will be no need to purchase an USB module – the CM4 module option when installed and enabled can add streaming services such as Roon and Spotify Connect, Tidal, DLNA etc.

I’ve also been asked about R2R Dac, I will offer a R2R DAC board once the discrete 1Bit DAC and HiBit DAC boards are released – the DacX can be “upgraded” to any versions by the owner.

After all this time and work – its really nice to see the DAC’s “physical” outline coming together.

Once the 3D is drawn up, I will design the front panel PCB as its going to take a few spins to get the design correct.

Hopefully over the next month the items will arrive from China and the drawings can be completed – then I’ll issue the Custom display + extrusion drawings…. Taking us to the prototype construction stage.

Yawn yawn yawn, same old same old, blah blah blah. 9 years and there still isn’t even a 2D drawing and he should be thoroughly ashamed that he has no idea how many of the original sponsors are still interested.
Oh, and my apologies for not getting excited that he’s bought some screws from China.

advertisement

Back