The Pretenders – Brass In Pocket
Martha & The Muffins – Echo Beach
The Barracudas – Summer Fun
The Members – Sound Of The Suburbs
Sham 69 – If The Kids Are United
Stiff Little Fingers – At The Edge
X-Ray Spex – Germ Free Adolescents
The Damned – Neat Neat Neat

It isn't a bad CD, but it only represents a small %age of what Peely was about surely...

At a rough guess all but 3 or 4 of the tracks are from between 1977-1981, and I don't even think that they particularly represent what he liked best over that period, The Fall are missing to name but one.

Oddly enough it seems to be a subset of the tracks on the double-CD The Best Punk Album In The World Ever and the in no way ironically titled The Best Punk Album In The World Ever - 2 .

Maybe someone took their "Best of the The Best Punk Album in the World Ever 1 and 2" compilation and put Peel's name on because they thought it would sell more.

The rest of the article is...

The Undertones are to re-release their 1978 punk classic Teenage Kicks.

Available on 7" only, the re-issued limited edition EP will feature the original track listing of the A-side plus Smarter Than U, True Confessions and Emergency Cases, according to the NME.

The release, restricted to 1,000 copies, will be released on April 4, as will a double CD dedicated to the memory of John Peel, Teenage Kicks being his favourite song.

The Fall and Half Man Half Biscuit were the two most requested bands on John Peel's show. Seems strange they'd both be missing.

Jonathan

Is this

It's got The Fall, Teenage Kicks, The Kop, commentary from Liverpool winning the European Cup, some fine Reggae, blistering Drum and Bass and lots of things you wouldn't expect. An ideal summation of the man's tastes.

Actually, that's almost got ALL the tracks from "sounds of the suburbs" (Sony, 1991) on it! Not the most inspired comp, is it???

I'm up for a copy of the "Teenage kicks" reissue though - got all the albums on vinyl and it'd be well worth having...

Incidentally, why is "True confessions" on the Fame reissue of the first Undertones album a totally different version to the initial (Sire) press and also the Dojo CD issue???

advertisement

Back