advertisement

The Irishman

A very fair point. Just watched some of Taxi Driver, he's far better in that. I do think that more naturalistic actors are underrated though; people prefer a bit of scenery chewing.

Robert De Niro has been great in enough fabulous movies to get him off the hook for an infinite number of 'Meet the Parents II'. I do wish he'd do another crazy loner like Travis Bickle or Rupert Pupkin before he retires, though.

Robert De Niro has been great in enough fabulous movies to get him off the hook for an infinite number of 'Meet the Parents II'.

actually, i find his comedic roles are the best. i do enjoy the stereotypic mafia films, but would hesitate to call them fabulous. "taxi driver" is actually a horrible film. have you watched it recently?

It's hard to top the Simpson's mafia clips for their insight into this seedy world of organized crime.

Joe

We are not convinced this was worth seeing, old actors pretending to be 30 year olds wears thin. I certainly thought the Joker was an absolute belter and not sure this will get anywhere near it, so best to be pleased with what I have seen.

Bloss

A masterpiece. The end scenes where they’re all gone except for Shereen and his priest tries to detect any signs of a conscience.

I suppose it helped me to watch it in 3 installments, but relative to typical hollywood pablum (anyone remember The Martian?) it was 4 out of 5 stars, easy.

I suppose it helped me to watch it in 3 installments, but relative to typical hollywood pablum (anyone remember The Martian?) it was 4 out of 5 stars, easy.
Funnily enough I think it would have worked better as a series with a younger cast playing the younger roles

Not bad, three great actors, although I've seen them do better, the facial rendering to make De Niro look young was pretty poor, good story if dragged out a bit.

Maybe it’s only my problem, but I am too used to seeing De Niro and Pacino play the roles of Italian-Americans.

Sheeran was, obviously, of Irish descent. Hoffa’s parents were Irish and German. IMO, both roles were miscast.

Still a watchable movie, but given the rich subject matter, it could have been better.

Yes, Brendan Gleeson would be a much better match for the original!

JpFFPXU.jpg

Now, who to play Hoffa?

7qgLKso.jpg

A masterpiece. The end scenes where they’re all gone except for Shereen and his priest tries to detect any signs of a conscience.

An acting masterclass by many of the cast. You're right there's no conscience, but there is regret as Shereen realises that it has all come to nothing and he is an outcast to his family.

Actually fell asleep a couple of times in the first three hours - got to the point where they all were 'in school' and thought sod this, life's too short :)
Blimey that's taking the de-ageing process a bit far! Dr Niro and co running around in short trousers!

advertisement

Back