advertisement

The Hypex nCore build thread

Wouldn't it be better to link directly to that message?

It wasn't answered there. How about here?

No.

Yes. It is way better than any speakers or souce material available.

So end of discussion, its perfect, Julf made his final verdict

the link to the tread is for others interested in changing something truly perfect in some direction.... or not

What I don't get is how If you are a better designer than Bruno, why you would start from his inferior design instead of designing something better from scratch...

Yes. Yes, twisting is essential, and make sure you don't make the mistake of going out in opposite directions from the speaker output terminals.

Sorry I don't understand, what does this mean "going out in opposite directions"? If the two cables are twisted together how can they go apart?

Because of the twisting requirement, you need normal 1-conductor wire, and as thick as you can given the end terminals.

So thick, solid-core copper wire.

Could you or someone else kindly post a link to a suitable thickness quality cable? Just so I know what to look for. Thanks a lot

On another subject, are all you guys using the Silcon Ray cases? Is there anything else nice out there? This thread needs more photos :)

PS - I really appreciate all the advice, thanks a lot.

Sorry I don't understand, what does this mean "going out in opposite directions"? If the two cables are twisted together how can they go apart?

If you look at the square screw terminals for the speaker outputs, you can put the cable in from two directions. If you put the cables in from the outer sides, you form a pretty big loop before the cables can be twisted together. If, on the other hand, you put them both in from the inner side (so immediately going towards each other), the twist can start immediately.

Could you or someone else kindly post a link to a suitable thickness quality cable?

I just used normal 4 mm mains cable.

On another subject, are all you guys using the Silcon Ray cases? Is there anything else nice out there?

I made a box out of aluminium plate and cooling fin profile, as I needed a precise, custome size to fit in my speaker stands.

This thread needs more photos :)

I agree.

If you look at the square screw terminals for the speaker outputs, you can put the cable in from two directions. If you put the cables in from the outer sides, you form a pretty big loop before the cables can be twisted together. If, on the other hand, you put them both in from the inner side (so immediately going towards each other), the twist can start immediately.

That is very clever indeed. I would never have thought of that.....

Here is a picture of one person's build using the Ghent case, that I linked in the first post. I believe the positioning of the modules is based on the pre-drilled case holes. Just curious what you think of it. I notice the audio input and speaker wires aren't twisted. Perhaps because the amplifier module is so close. Or perhaps just an error. WHat do you think of the module positioning, does it matter at all? I guess the objective is to have as short as possible speaker and audio cables?

And there are some good pictures on James Romeyn's page showing how he wires up the Silconray case.

Here is a picture of one person's build using the Ghent case, that I linked in the first post. I believe the positioning of the modules is based on the pre-drilled case holes. Just curious what you think of it. I notice the audio input and speaker wires aren't twisted. Perhaps because the amplifier module is so close. Or perhaps just an error. WHat do you think of the module positioning, does it matter at all? I guess the objective is to have as short as possible speaker and audio cables?

The speaker wires should definitely be twisted, but otherwise the placement looks OK.

The ncores are just plug and play, not really diy as already said.
Perhaps one warning regarding speaker termination loop area, it's mentioned in the hypex manual, don't ignor it!

Here's one off mine.

IMG_2183_zps6b7f3853.jpg

IMG_1905_zpsf17c75e4.jpg

Sam has it exactly right with the speaker loop areas, note he has his cables on the inside of the terminals, the hard way, the right way.

The ncores are just plug and play, not really diy as already said.
Perhaps one warning regarding speaker termination loop area, it's mentioned in the hypex manual, don't ignor it!
Here's one off mine.

Very nice case... What does that 3rd module at the top of the picture do?

All I can say here is that they are in direct violation of the advice from Bruno.

They don't understand the underpinning reason so their mind just skips some parts of Brunos instruction.
On top of that given a low quality front end and speakers they would not here the difference even if they took the trouble to experiment and compare.

Very nice case... What does that 3rd module at the top of the picture do?

Its powers up the amp when an audio signal is detected and shuts it down around 15 minutes after the signal has gone.
It has a lower standby power consumption than the Hypex method.

Ncores get hot and are also moderate power consumers so I made the balanced signal detector to control the Hypex SMPS.

Take note of the maximum recommended temperature of the Hypex SMPS, for longevity don't exceed it.

Case is just a Modushop Galaxy with a plank nailed on the front and a little copycat mimicking of something which shall remain naimless. :D

This is the signal detector.

IMG_2201_zpsd8431841.jpg

Its powers up the amp when an audio signal is detected and shuts it down around 15 minutes after the signal has gone.

Wow, that is so cool and very practical. Do you have some more details please? How easy is it to "drop in"? Can you explain the wiring of it? Where do you get this module?

Ncores get hot and are also moderate power consumers so I made the balanced signal detector to control the Hypex SMPS. Take note of the maximum recomended temperature of the Hypex SMPS, for longevity don't exceed it.

How much of an issue is this?

Case is just a Modushop Galaxy with a plank nailed on the front and a little copycat mimicking of something which shall remain naimless. :D

Well, I think you did a nice job...

What I'd really like to see though is some analogue VU meters on the front of a case :) :)

advertisement

Back