advertisement

The Future Of The Democratic Party.

The Green Party is effectively a third party, and in American politics it would be considered left to rather left, but they never get more than a few percent of the popular vote. They have zero presidents of the USA, zero seats in the Senate, zero seats in the House, zero Governorships across the 50 states,...

As my boss in Kentucky used to say, "Ya know sumthin', Maple Leaf*: If a frog had wings it wouldn't bump its ass a-hoppin', but they don't so they do."

Wish as you might...

Joe

* He used to call me Maple Leaf.

The Green Party is effectively a third party, and in American politics it would be considered left to rather left, but they never get more than a few percent of the popular vote. They have zero presidents of the USA, zero seats in the Senate, zero seats in the House, zero Governorships across the 50 states,...

As my boss in Kentucky used to say, "Ya know sumthin', Maple Leaf*: If a frog had wings it wouldn't bump its ass a-hoppin', but they don't so they do."

Wish as you might...

Joe

* He used to call me Maple Leaf.

And the Libertarians...

Third and fourth parties only make sense under constitutional systems that provide for proportional representation or suchlike. In any 'first past the post' system, only a major right and a major left party will be viable. The 'minor' parties must eventually die, powerless and starved for wins. Beyond that, the minor parties only aid their ideological enemies by splitting the votes on their side of the left/right divide. Multiple parties on one's side of the 'great divide' are a recipie for disaster. The side that is more united wins. This reality virtually insures two major parties will dominate.

from a short-term betting perspective this analysis is excellent.

from the viewpoint of a citizen, is it something you want to settle for again and again?

You like this think what you want is possible. Ok, let's say there's a three-way race, at a time when the basic vote split is 55% left, 45% right. (I'm being generous to the left with this assumption, which favors you in this analysis.) And let's say the People's Party gets a massive chunk of the Democratic vote, say 60% of it. Also, they get a big chunk of the Republican vote, 10% of it. So the People's party gets 60% of 55% plus 10% of 45%. Crunch the numbers.

It works out to 37.5%, and they lose to the Republicans who'd get 40.5%. To win, you have to have the Democratic Party totally die, and/or you have to have more than 10% of Republicans vote for a leftist.
It's not about left vs right anymore, it's about rich vs poor, and both main parties represent the rich.

A third party with Sanders - the most popular politician in the country - at the helm, rousing crowds all over the country would enjoy huge support.

OK, maybe not enough in 2020, and he'd be too old after that so someone of similar authenticity and integrity would need to take on his role, but it could happen in 2024, or 2028.

Better than more of the same inequality-enabling shite ad-infinitum under the crooked Democrats or even worse Republicans surely?

The cycle must be broken at some point.

America still has the death penalty, doesn't it? So why not extend it to politicians who can be proven to have lied for personal or party gain, either during a campaign, or once in office. Lying in the national interest can be a legitimate defence. It's not like people don't die because of politicians' lies, so there's an equivalence. Oh, and the method of death ought to be dissuasive.

I hope she is the future of the Democratic Party:

D0wr0K4X4AQsQ9S.jpg:large

Don’t you want your preferred 2016 candidate to have second a term.

Isn’t he meant to be draining the swamp like you said he would.

Don’t you want your preferred 2016 candidate to have second a term.

Isn’t he meant to be draining the swamp like you said he would.

Why do you have to bring that up again? Max has explained that Trump was not part of the warmongering NeoCon, rightwing Labour hegemony that controls the capitalist world and is, therefore, a really good guy. The world would have been devastated by nuclear war had Shillary become president. Every man and his dog knows that.

Yes, we've all been waiting for Max' 2020 Presidential endorsement with bated breath...

I don't like or trust Tulsi. I think she's just a slicker and prettier Trump.

Populists always turn out to be liars and betrayers of the people.

It's not about left vs right anymore, it's about rich vs poor, and both main parties represent the rich.

A third party with Sanders - the most popular politician in the country - at the helm, rousing crowds all over the country would enjoy huge support.

OK, maybe not enough in 2020, and he'd be too old after that so someone of similar authenticity and integrity would need to take on his role, but it could happen in 2024, or 2028.

Better than more of the same inequality-enabling shite ad-infinitum under the crooked Democrats or even worse Republicans surely?

The cycle must be broken at some point.

Rich vs poor is right vs left. Only the communitarian left cares about the poor. The authoritarian right will never. These are inate splits in human personality. Some people are one way, some are another, they never change. Only a flexible group in the middle can change.

Sanders must run as a Democrat. If he joins a third party movement he becomes a force for electing the Republican.

Corruption is a separate issue.

I'll add Max liking Tulsi to the factors cited in this report:

Russia's Propaganda Machine Discovers 2020 Democratic Candidate Tulsi Gabbard
quelle suprise

Is that all it takes? The first (already debunked) hit piece falsely linking to support from the Kremlin and you've condemned the anti-war candidate: Tulsi as a Russian puppet, and assumed I support her because of said false links to the Kremlin?

Do you both, as Americans, have not the slightest clue as to the modus-operandi of the regime change, CIA-infiltrated media that poisons the minds of your fellow countrymen against anti-war candidates? Have you not seen what has been happening to the anti-war leader of the Labour Party in the UK?

Tulsi Gabbard is a veteren. A major in the US Army. She has done three tours in Iraq, and has been a vocal anti-war campaigner for years. I believe I first said I wished to see her run for president as far back as 2015 on here, long before you were both convinced that Russia runs the world.

I dread to think how many other Americans are so easily blinded to reality.

I guess Putin had us both in his pocket then eh, along with Bernie, and Trump, of course.

Look under that bed, Don, quick!!

advertisement

Back