advertisement

The Future Of The Democratic Party.

I wonder why Hillary doesn’t like the anti-war, anti-corruption, anti-racist woman who wants money out of politics.

I knew you were going to say that. Not that you're wrong.

PS: To answer the question you asked on another thread, it's unlikely I'll travel to Canada anytime soon but I'll let you know if I'm ever in your neck of the woods.

PS: To answer the question you asked on another thread, it's unlikely I'll travel to Canada anytime soon but I'll let you know if I'm ever in your neck of the woods.

i suppose canada ranks very low on the list of glamorous places you philosophy graduates are having all your lucrative speaking engagements these days.

i suppose canada ranks very low on the list of glamorous places you philosophy graduates are having all your lucrative speaking engagements these days.

It ranks higher than the US. But it's all academic, since my diary is devoid of lucrative speaking engagements right now.

Nick Brana, founder, executive director of Movement for a People's Party talks with journalist Chris Hedges about the US' two political party system, the need for third and fourth parties and his experience campaigning for Bernie Sanders in the 2016 presidential election:

Drood,

Haven't you gone from philosophy to physics?

Joe

Nick Brana, founder, executive director of Movement for a People's Party talks with journalist Chris Hedges about the US' two political party system, the need for third and fourth parties and his experience campaigning for Bernie Sanders in the 2016 presidential election:

Third and fourth parties only make sense under constitutional systems that provide for proportional representation or suchlike. In any 'first past the post' system, only a major right and a major left party will be viable. The 'minor' parties must eventually die, powerless and starved for wins. Beyond that, the minor parties only aid their ideological enemies by splitting the votes on their side of the left/right divide. Multiple parties on one's side of the 'great divide' are a recipie for disaster. The side that is more united wins. This reality virtually insures two major parties will dominate.

Third and fourth parties only make sense under constitutional systems that provide for proportional representation or suchlike. In any 'first past the post' system, only a major right and a major left party will be viable. The 'minor' parties must eventually die, powerless and starved for wins. Beyond that, the minor parties only aid their ideological enemies by splitting the votes on their side of the left/right divide. Multiple parties on one's side of the 'great divide' are a recipie for disaster. The side that is more united wins. This reality virtually insures two major parties will dominate.
I disagree.

There is no major left party; there's only right and further right. Both serve the same elites, not the people, hence inequality grows under either, the wars continue, healthcare remains private, college tuition remains expensive and so on.

The majority of American people - blue and red want better pay, an end to the wars, free healthcare, free college tuition etc.

So a third party promising these things, that is committed to not taking money from special interests but raising it as Sanders did from individual donations, led by a Sanders, or maybe a Tulsi Gabbard would, IMO take a massive amount of the Democrats vote and a big chunk of the Republicans, while hopefully, as happened with the UK Labour Party enthusing the young in big numbers too.

Continuing to place your faith in the corrupt Democratic Party, which still serves the elites while doing all it can to crush progressives, is pointless, IMO.

I disagree.

There is no major left party; there's only right and further right. Both serve the same elites, not the people, hence inequality grows under either, the wars continue, healthcare remains private, college tuition remains expensive and so on.

The majority of American people - blue and red want better pay, an end to the wars, free healthcare, free college tuition etc.

So a third party promising these things, that is committed to not taking money from special interests but raising it as Sanders did from individual donations, led by a Sanders, or maybe a Tulsi Gabbard would, IMO take a massive amount of the Democrats vote and a big chunk of the Republicans, while hopefully, as happened with the UK Labour Party enthusing the young in big numbers too.

Continuing to place your faith in the corrupt Democratic Party, which still serves the elites while doing all it can to crush progressives, is pointless, IMO.

You like this think what you want is possible. Ok, let's say there's a three-way race, at a time when the basic vote split is 55% left, 45% right. (I'm being generous to the left with this assumption, which favors you in this analysis.) And let's say the People's Party gets a massive chunk of the Democratic vote, say 60% of it. Also, they get a big chunk of the Republican vote, 10% of it. So the People's party gets 60% of 55% plus 10% of 45%. Crunch the numbers.

It works out to 37.5%, and they lose to the Republicans who'd get 40.5%. To win, you have to have the Democratic Party totally die, and/or you have to have more than 10% of Republicans vote for a leftist.

advertisement

Back