advertisement

The Future Of The Democratic Party.

I'm glad you found one of those in that unabashed shit-show, because from where I sat it looked like old men and opportunists with typically inflated egos and delusions of self-grandeur scoring Twitter points on age-old topics while ignoring what should absolutely be the #1 issue of any debate, and doing it -- mind-blowingly -- on a stage in a city where sea level rise could displace up to 200 million people, causing unimaginable social catastrophe. And all with the news story backdrop of the third 500 year European heatwave in recent memory. But, yeah, she's a real corker alright.
When you say climate change is ignored, you identify a collective state of denial of a fundamental truth. Climate change at this point, I think, is like 'death' as a topic. Absolutely everyone is going to DIE, but no one on the debate stage talked about that. I'm sure that in both cases, the candidates see the topic as only a way to lose votes.

EXCEPT for Jay Inslee! Why does everyone ignore Jay Inslee? The man who says climate change is the first priority, and the second priority, and the third priority! Is the conventional wisdom about the topic being political poison correct?

Jay at the debate: https://www.politico.com/video/2019/06/26/debate-jay-inslee-climate-change-068394

Missed this bit. So we can talk about a candidate's wealth or background so long as it isn't inconvenient? That's quite a mainstream approach!

I happen to see someone coming from a law enforcement career having a family heritage of plantation owners with slaves as germane to their worldview. I frankly can't understand why anyone wouldn't see it that way. Warren's native american thing, if she says something she can't prove that's a problem in my book. Just like AOC ballyhooing about how she's a girl from the Bronx when she spent time there as a child before growing up in suburbia. On and on. Those aren't issues that evolve, those are fabrications. And if they're fabricating at the start, they'll be fabricating all the way to the end.

But then I'm not very mainstream, apparently. I mean, Oprah Winfrey doesn't put checks in presidential boxes for me on any level, so I guess that's a strike against me. We're simply not going to agree on anything political.

Your comment about the Harris "family's heritage as Jamaican slave owners" makes it sound like she somehow benefitted from this distant ancestor's ill-gotten wealth, whereas nothing could be farther from the truth.

First of all, some facts for context. The British Parliament outlawed the transportation of slaves to Jamaica in 1808. Abolition followed in 1834, with full emancipation 4 years later. Donald Harris, Kamala's father, had a paternal grandmother named Christiana Brown. She was a direct descendant of Hamilton Brown (1776-1843), a Northern Irishman and plantation slave owner.

Kamala’s family, like many others of African American descent, was in part produced by Hamilton Brown forcing himself on one of his slave women.

By the way, you know who else is pushing a twisted narrative of her ancestry? Good ol' Rush Limbaugh.

By the way, you know who else is pushing a twisted narrative of her ancestry? Good ol' Rush Limbaugh.

I'm not 'pushing' the narrative any more than her supporters are trying to bury it. I'd rather people focus on her record in law enforcement. There's nothing progressive about it. That's the snake in the woodpile.

When you say climate change is ignored, you identify a collective state of denial of a fundamental truth. Climate change at this point, I think, is like 'death' as a topic. Absolutely everyone is going to DIE, but no one on the debate stage talked about that. I'm sure that in both cases, the candidates see the topic as only a way to lose votes.

EXCEPT for Jay Inslee! Why does everyone ignore Jay Inslee? The man who says climate change is the first priority, and the second priority, and the third priority! Is the conventional wisdom about the topic being political poison correct?

Jay at the debate: https://www.politico.com/video/2019/06/26/debate-jay-inslee-climate-change-068394

Poor Jay. Guy has a rough row to hoe.

I find it fascinating that so much of the first world goes about business as usual when this isn't just looming on some vague mutli-decade timeline, it's happening right now. Some people have trouble correlating anything to do with it. And, yeah, it is like death as a topic because it potentially is. And a lot of it.

People on forums devoted to climate collapse (they don't say 'change' anymore) have made a joke out of the phrase "faster than expected" because practically every new bit of climate science information begins with it. And a lot of that is thanks to the UN's 12 year prognostication that wasn't just optimistic, it was a lie. Then you had scientists downplaying much of their findings for years for whatever justifications. Greta Thunberg shouldn't be shouting for action, she should be shouting to string people up.

And so it's not just losing votes, or the death thing, it's also corporate funding, but then there's the elephant ... because they've been briefed. Some obviously more than others depending on their current position in the government, and a good guess at the brief would be it's devastating. Even mitigation has apparently been deemed hopeless.

But given it's practically macabre science fiction, the ability to go along as if nothing is really going on while it's going on is astounding. But then what else is there to do?

I agree that climate change is the single biggest issue of our time. I respect what Inslee has done in Washington, and how he has tried to raise the issue's profile during the campaign. But for whatever reason, he has not gotten any traction as a candidate and, unfortunately, nothing can be done about America's role in fighting climate change until Donald Trump is defeated. Only then can a new President start by rolling back his idiotic executive orders and re-engaging with other nations on reducing carbon emissions.

Long live the new corporate whore!

edit: I apologize for referring to the gentle lady as a corporate whore. Her family's heritage as Jamaican slave owners (plantation) and her reek of AIPAC notwithstanding, she didn't deserve the slander.

I'm not 'pushing' the narrative any more than her supporters are trying to bury it.

No, of course you didn't.

@Marky-Mark

climate change is going to be "dealt with" via activism, not political promises, so you shouldn't expect too much in these debates. don also makes a good point about how it's not a pleasant topic in terms of inspiring people to vote for you (especially american softies).

now, here is something to cheer you up (given how concerned you are with "hope" in this context):

When Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez met Greta Thunberg: 'Hope is contagious'
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ez-met-greta-thunberg-hope-contagious-climate

No, of course you didn't.

If you're going to cherry pick her progressive stance on the poor, imprisoned and Wallstreet, there's really not more to say on the topic. Scant time going over her claim to be "for the people by taking on Wallstreet" with the facts reveals she carries a load of bullshit with her, like most politicians. Between fundraising with an ex Wells Fargo exec to taking donations from Trump's boy Mnuchin after refusing to prosecute him in Ca. when he was clearly guilty, it's not going to play with progressives or minorities.

And before you point out the big dollar judgement her office racked up in its foreclosure settlement, the fine amounted to less than one percent of the banks profit that quarter.

I could go on and on, but I don't care to. I'd suggest that either you don't investigate pols you support with any vigor, or you simply ignore their graft. Whatever the case, people like Harris are why the american political system is an abject failure for the poor, minorities and middle class --- she's a Trifecta!

If you're going to cherry pick her progressive stance on the poor, imprisoned and Wallstreet, there's really not more to say on the topic. Scant time going over her claim to be "for the people by taking on Wallstreet" with the facts reveals she carries a load of bullshit with her, like most politicians. Between fundraising with an ex Wells Fargo exec to taking donations from Trump's boy Mnuchin after refusing to prosecute him in Ca. when he was clearly guilty, it's not going to play with progressives or minorities.

And before you point out the big dollar judgement her office racked up in its foreclosure settlement, the fine amounted to less than one percent of the banks profit that quarter.

I could go on and on, but I don't care to. I'd suggest that either you don't investigate pols you support with any vigor, or you simply ignore their graft. Whatever the case, people like Harris are why the american political system is an abject failure for the poor, minorities and middle class --- she's a Trifecta!

And I would suggest that you focus only on the negatives, so much so that you are incapable of supporting anyone who has a chance of ending Trump’s presidency.

Feel free to continue taking personal shots at me, but I will be ignoring them from now on.

And I would suggest that you focus only on the negatives, so much so that you are incapable of supporting anyone who has a chance of ending Trump’s presidency.

Feel free to continue taking personal shots at me, but I will be ignoring them from now on.

I don't see any personal shots? Wasn't it you accusing me of being defensive? Funny how that works, huh.

I focus on the negatives because that's exactly what people (like Harris) who peddle emotionally stirring anecdotes don't want you to do. If a politician has to tell you a story to make a point you're being conned. That's life 101.

I'd suggest that either you don't investigate pols you support with any vigor, or you simply ignore their graft.

This was a personal shot. It was untrue and unnecessary.

I called you defensive when, in response to a simple question about who you could support, you answered “Is this one of those Suzy Tweeter trick questions where victory is claimed by a non-answer?”. But unlike you, I was not questioning your intellect or character, only your tone.

But hey, feel free to carry on.

I'd suggest that either you don't investigate pols you support with any vigor, or you simply ignore their graft.

This was a personal shot. It was untrue and unnecessary.

I called you defensive when, in response to a simple question about who you could support, you answered “Is this one of those Suzy Tweeter trick questions where victory is claimed by a non-answer?”. But unlike you, I was not questioning your intellect or character, only your tone.

But hey, feel free to carry on.

That's not a personal shot. It may be untrue, I don't know - that's why I'm stating that observation based on your replies. I'm also not questioning your intellect; I'm questioning whether you perform due diligence on the records of people you advocate to hold high office. I think based upon your reluctance to address specific charges (beyond the tabloid stuff) re: Harris, and the suggestion that Oprah would make a fine president, such observations are every bit of reasonable.

Bernie being interviewed by regime-change media.

He's brilliant here, and often very funny.

Skip to 2.25 to avoid the ads:

The common-ground between Tea Party Republicans such as John and RT/Putin fans such as MaxFlinn & Vuk is highly amusing to me! “Fake News”! All extremes together against the centre...

No doubt the likes of Google, Facebook, Twitter, corporate media and DNC will be working together to take down the candidates they don’t approve of.

ad9f52-25d78dbe19c04027a09dce100a1c7873-mv2.gif

advertisement

Back