advertisement

The forthcoming demise of the Conservative minority government, May 2017-?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a possibility that the deregulation of media sources will usher in a new age of political honesty as the younger voters grow tired of being openly lies to?

No it will do the exact opposite. Media deregulation in the US led to Fox News, Breitbart etc

Rich

'We are too busy, please go away and die in a corner somewhere'

Future generations will curse our one for letting big business get away with all of this Neil.

The way it works at the moment is this IME.

GP refers patient to Consultant. Appointment is usually months down the line.

Consultant does everything they can to redirect the patient back towards the GP surgery as quickly as possible. GP surgery is completely overwhelmed.

Patient tries to see GP and appointments are in very short supply. When they have an acute need they are forced to visit A&E in order to receive any medical attention. It's about capacity.

A&E will now be able to refuse treatment and a telephone line will operate along similar lines as the DWP apparently does. It will be designed to reduce demand so that it can avoid increasing capacity and costs. It will do this, as with the DWP, by assuming callers are lying/exaggerating rather than opening up and telling the truth.

The result of all this will be an increase in suffering and, indeed, suicidal behaviour.

All of this is very deliberate and the result of a long term plan to make the NHS ineffective and financially unviable so that big business can move in and take profit from the country's needs. We are maybe 40% of the way there.

You know as well as I do that public health services can offer remarkable levels of care across Europe so there is no reason for this to be happening in the UK other than corporate greed.

As I say, future generations will deplore our inactivity and hold us responsible.

Sadly, rather too many proletarians in the UK and elsewhere are uniting.. in their ignorance, behind the wrong flag.

Pity that we’re so intertwined with the EU that many can’t imagine a life beyond its bureaucratic dictates. Roll on the Brussels gravy train ya.

No lad. We're leaving. We'll be free of all that bureaucracy. Free to reduce civil rights, free to expand the reach of zero hours contracts, free to frack and pollute our cities and free to redistribute wealth to levels of inequality not seen since the good old days of the nineteenth century.

Even the thickest of Brexit supporters must surely be waking up by now to the fact that they've been sold a lemon by the ruling classes?

Reduced now to spouting nonsense about bureaucracy as some of the more optimistic fictional works are being consigned to the dustbin as reality kicks in annoyingly early.

Universal Credit is shaping up to be a catastrophe:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...lnerable-claimants-hunger-chaos-a7998731.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...ts-system-government-food-banks-a7998196.html

I hope the country wakes up before it's too late for some of the most vulnerable members of society.

Somebody I know well is currently trying to wean themselves off benefits. They are on the Aspergers spectrum, have a good science degree, but had to leave their graduate-level career in the pharmaceutical industry due to bullying (subsequently received a substantial payout following a tribunal). They were effectively traumatised and unable to hold down any job, and have been on benefits for over a decade.

In the last 12 months, they have been making great efforts to turn things around. Retraining as a lifeguard, and working (zero hours, minimum wage, contracts, natch) for a couple of local leisure firms up to the 16 hours per week permitted under the current system. They hate being reliant on benefits, and now feel strong enough to take the next step, moving up to perhaps 30 hours per week, ultimately aiming for 37 hours per week, and eventual career progression into personal training. I applaud their doggedness in dealing with all the difficulties along the way, so far.

They've taken expert advice. Under Universal Credit, moving to 30 hours per week will make them £130 per week worse off due to reduction in housing benefit. Moving to 37 hours per week will make them £150 per week worse off.

The system, intended to make returning to work pay. Simply. Doesn't. Work.

Pity that we’re so intertwined with the EU that many can’t imagine a life beyond its bureaucratic dictates. Roll on the Brussels gravy train ya.

Why oh why did we allow them to take us up the Rhine (repeatedly) like this ?

This isn't a Tory brexit. It is a brexit voted for by the country not a party. There is only brexit not hard or soft. We are in or out.
I think brexit would cause harm in the 1-5 years but longer term there is a chance it could be beneficial for the country but I wasn't comfortable in the end going into the unknown which is why I voted remain.

One thing I would stake my entire wealth on though is that JC and the marxists (sound like a band) will devastate this country. I don't want either party in power if I'm honest in their current guise but as both are going to deliver brexit I think the Tories will do less damage. Brexit is one thing. Brexit plus Marxism would be Armageddon.

Rubbish, Brexit is all about the tories and a failed vanity project, Remember it was Cameron who offered a referendum, Labour would never have done so and quite rightly, the British people sorry to say should not have been given the choice.

One thing I would stake my entire wealth on though is that JC and the marxists (sound like a band) will devastate this country.

Leaving aside the whole Marxist jibe thing, I think the four most devastating events to happen to this country (in financial terms) in my lifetime were the recession and 3-day week of the mid '70s (Tory government); the collapse of manufacturing under the Thatcher (Tory) years; the recession of the early 90s (Tory government); and the financial crash of 2008 (an almost inevitable outcome of Tory banking deregulation of a decade earlier).

But, yeah, you're probably right. Left wing governments, eh? Sheesh!

Somebody I know well is currently trying to wean themselves off benefits. They are on the Aspergers spectrum, have a good science degree, but had to leave their graduate-level career in the pharmaceutical industry due to bullying (subsequently received a substantial payout following a tribunal). They were effectively traumatised and unable to hold down any job, and have been on benefits for over a decade.

In the last 12 months, they have been making great efforts to turn things around. Retraining as a lifeguard, and working (zero hours, minimum wage, contracts, natch) for a couple of local leisure firms up to the 16 hours per week permitted under the current system. They hate being reliant on benefits, and now feel strong enough to take the next step, moving up to perhaps 30 hours per week, ultimately aiming for 37 hours per week, and eventual career progression into personal training. I applaud their doggedness in dealing with all the difficulties along the way, so far.

They've taken expert advice. Under Universal Credit, moving to 30 hours per week will make them £130 per week worse off due to reduction in housing benefit. Moving to 37 hours per week will make them £150 per week worse off.

The system, intended to make returning to work pay. Simply. Doesn't. Work.

Very sad story.

Many people tend to forget that many recipients of the new Universal Credit will be the sick and disabled. Rebranding sickness and invalidity benefits, and indeed housing benefit, has not IMHO been done without consultation.

Rubbish, Brexit is all about the tories and a failed vanity project, Remember it was Cameron who offered a referendum, Labour would never have done so and quite rightly, the British people sorry to say should not have been given the choice.

Brexit is an acronym for Bullshitting Ruthless Egomaniacal Xenophobic Idiotic Tories.

The Universal Credit debate is live on BBC Parliament now (it's an Opposition motion to pause the rollout in order to address serious flaws in its implementation).

It won't bring down the government but it ought to chip away at it, especially if soft Tories like Heidi Allen and Sarah Wollaston vote with the opposition as they have threatened to do. Here's what Wollaston had to say a few minutes ago:

In the Commons the Conservative MP Sarah Wollaston has just said that she is disappointed that the Tories are abstaining. She said that she supported the principle of universal credit, but that it was flawed in its current form. She needed to express a view on behalf of her constituents, she said. And she said that, unless her concerns were addressed by the minister at the end of the debate, she would vote with Labour for the rollout to be paused.

It's depressing hearing other Tories speak. They're simply parroting platitudes about "making work pay" and completely ignoring the stories of extreme hardship as a result of poor implementation. Most of them simply don't have a clue what it's like to manage on or below the breadline.

A year ago those platitudes represented common sense, now anyone voicing them looks like they've just thrown up in their mouth. Not depressing at all, it's the sound of the Conservative Party dying.

:)

A year ago those platitudes represented common sense, now anyone voicing them looks like they've just thrown up in their mouth. Not depressing at all, it's the sound of the Conservative Party dying.

:)
Fingers crossed.

Meanwhile, I enjoyed playing Tory bullshit bingo to the debate. A Toryboy wheeled out the tried and tested "a hand-up not a handout" canard, while a female drone tried the "four generations on benefits" gambit. I was quite impressed by the latter as the last time I heard it, it was only three generations.

The Tories are intellectually bankrupt. They have no solutions to offer working people. They barely understand the problem.

IDS's poison legacy rolls on, it wasted billions in implementation failures now he's demanding that there's no pause as recipients are left penniless. The true face of the incompetent, callous Tory Party.

The trough stops here...

131005479-05b1afa2-70cf-4bc4-9e97-1f80ef1d7ba2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back