advertisement

The Ever-Changing Value of 'Wife Pounds'

It’s never been an issue, items are listed on insurance so nothing to hide. My wife generally drives a newer car than me & spends what she wants. We have a joint account which both salaries go into & all bills come out of. We both have ISA’s, I’ve only ever spent money I had in cash on hi fi.

I've never engaged in subterfuge when buying hi-fi, but I once had to buy Mrs MikeMA a new cooker after I'd bought a particularly expensive valve amp. She was no more convinced by my argument that there was nothing wrong with the old cooker than I was by her argument that there was nothing wrong with the old amplifier. :)

Surely you could have pointed out that there was no need for any cooker in the house... stick a pan over the valves and you can listen and cook at the same time.

Peter

Talking of 'wife pounds'......
My wife very kindly offered to buy me a new pair of speakers of my choosing for my 50th Birthday back in January.
As we were moving house and renovating, refurbishing and redecorating the 'new' house I thought I'd leave it until we had moved and the work was well under way if not nearing completion.
It's still at least a couple of months until I will be setting up my system.
So with much talk of long lead times on new audio items Tracy decided to ring around a few dealers to get a price and lead time.
Not one of them would even give a price over the phone, do dealers not like wife pounds?

I have always thought being honest is the best policy. Lies nearly always come to light and now it is so easy to find out the price of things via the internet, you are bound to be found out eventually. Lies can destroy trust, which is essential in a healthy relationship I believe.

Be a man. You don't need your wife's permission to buy something, or at least you shouldn't. Hi-Fi is a good example because women typically do not value it so asking their opinion is pointless. A holiday they value but it's a waste of time trying to appease them on a purchase they do not understand. Buy what you want and if they complain tell them to go swivel.
Nice & blunt & to the point. Say what you need to say! :)

Love this thread.One-of-the-(my-space-bar-just-died)-reasons-I-think-Naim-has-done-as-well-as-it-has-is-that-the-boxes-all-look-the-same-so-making-it-easier-to-upgrade-boxes-unnoticed…

I must say I’m finding it is getting increasingly difficult squeezing floorstanders into the house without being noticed……

it does cause domestic arguments though…… on one occasion my wife threw 5 cricket balls at me. I said one more and it’s over…

I tried to sneak a (s/h) Herman Miller Aeron into the house a couple of weeks ago...
The sneaking in worked, but it's not exactly easy to hide in a rack... so after just a few minutes there was much fury...until it had been sat in a couple of times.

When we were “courting” many years ago, I took S. to a show (Heathrow, I think). We were in a particular room (IIRC, Sondek, Syrinx, Krell),……. and Briks.

She said, “I’d like some of those”

I thought, “I’d better keep hold of this one”.

Thirty eight years later, both she and the Briks (second set - gone Aktiv) are still going strong**!

**Plus two daughters, half a dozen installed hifi systems, a wardrobe full of photographic gear, two rooms of knitting machines and assorted craft stuff, and (over the last couple of decades) eight kitties

Great that you are on to your second set of wives and they’ve finally gone all Activ on you. What more could you want… :D

My wife of 18 years hasn’t worked since we met, we’ve had four children together and she forgot our anniversary yesterday. I’m starting to think I’m being taken for a ride.

:(

And I’ve always bought whatever hifi I’d like, she doesn’t mind.

My ex-wife was quite into handbags and designed them for one of the high-end brands. She had several, the most expensive being a £10,000 ostrich-skin bag which was a gift from her employers. So the cost of hi-fi was never an issue. Now that I’m divorced it still isn’t an issue!

In the spirit of being balanced I should add that my wife did buy for me (and accompany me) to an Ascot hifi show. And she does appreciate the sound of a decent hifi. Logically it does get a bit hard to justify why so much box swapping goes on - but it is a just a hobby and I don't buy motorbikes, cars, always down the pub etc.

I know some on here have a motorbike fetish as well as hifi - now that must get expensive!

advertisement

Back