advertisement

The Euro 2020 (football) thread.

Howay the Scots!
Will have it on in the background whilst working...or will I have work on in the background whilst it's on?

Some of you lot seem to have the football on in the background whilst arguing. ;)

Scotland beat the Czech Republic home and away in the qualifiers.... with a little bit of help from Covid! Might be a bit trickier today.

What anti racism movement were the "boo-ers" trying to acknowledge?
Maybe they don’t agree with taking the knee, are bored with it or just want to watch a football match?
You have to be very careful about casting aspersions.

I think we all know that throwing bananas and making monkey chants is proof that an individual is a racist.
Failing to take a knee or disapproval of this gesture does not confirm someone is racist.
We’re the F1 drivers racist for failing to take a knee or did they have cause to want to an acknowledge an anti racism movement in their own way?
There might be legitimate reasons for not taking the knee. However, booing those that do choose to take the knee as a gesture against racism, requires explanation of innocent motives. As there has been no such explanation, the conclusion is no more or less obvious as a banana or a monkey chant

I agree It does look suspiciously like racism ks.
Let’s also not forget that football supporters will boo just about anything though!
The national anthems, the players, the ref, var.....
Watch rugby instead, better sport and not so many fwit supporters.

There might be legitimate reasons for not taking the knee. However, booing those that do choose to take the knee as a gesture against racism, requires explanation of innocent motives. As there has been no such explanation, the conclusion is no more or less obvious as a banana or a monkey chant
This is a football thread. Please take your agenda to another thread and stop crapping on this one.

Great game last night, Holland v Ukraine. That’s 2 bets won. Come on Poland and Spain today.

This is a football thread. Please take your agenda to another thread and stop crapping on this one.

Great game last night, Holland v Ukraine. That’s 2 bets won. Come on Poland and Spain today.
I rather think Tony is capable of deciding if this is thread crapping and doesn’t need your help. This is a football thread and for some us who are lifelong football fans this ugly racism is something ugly that polluted the beautiful game. If you wish to remain relaxed about racism in football, then carry on, but some of us are not

I rather think Tony is capable of deciding if this is thread crapping and doesn’t need your help. This is a football thread and for some us who are lifelong football fans this ugly racism is something ugly that polluted the beautiful game. If you wish to remain relaxed about racism in football, then carry on, but some of us are not
:D:D

I respect everyone's view on here and their right to express it however I think this thread was intended to be a football one - that's certainly the reason it's in my 'watched threads' list and if that continues not to be the case it won't be for much longer.
We've waited a long time to enjoy this tournament - why not just enjoy the footy?

KS, would you consider starting another thread on racism in football, or racism in society? I assume the OP started this thread to talk about the Euros/football only (he can correct me if that is not the case). Yes, taking the knee is currently part of England football's brand and yes, it is an important topic for society at large and yes, there will be the odd thread diversion from matters football but the racism topic is starting to dominate the thread. At the end of the day, England are at the Euros to play football and I, like others it seems, are here to talk about football (and hopefully engage in a little light hearted banter, hopefully at City's expense :D). Please note this post is not some contorted attempt to support racism, or racism in football nor diminish the importance of the topic.

Mm, the players & manager have explained why they are taking the knee, Rio Ferdinand was very eloquent & vocal about this before the game. Anyone who boos this is basically being a racist & I cannot understand how anyone could think differently unless....

Football fans display a range of idiotic behaviour & I no longer defend their actions.

Anyway, the football has been pretty good & I don’t want the usual handful of idiots to spoil my enjoyment of it.

Brian, it's not an agenda and ignoring it isn't going to help!

Be interesting to see what the Scots do today, also really looking forward to Spain vs Sweden, hopefully a good match, and see what this Spanish team have to offer.

Holland V Ukraine was excellent, best game so far I reckon, it was a joy to watch, some wonderful ball skills on display from both sides too.
Is it just me or are England really boring with the occasional flash of brilliance to keep you from nodding off?
I thought we played really well in spells.
Didn’t see that many flashes of brilliance though.
Kane seemed a bit off the pace but Mings and Phillips really impressed me.
Sterling silenced his critics yet again.
Looking forward to our next game.

Holland V Ukraine was excellent, best game so far I reckon, it was a joy to watch, some wonderful ball skills on display from both sides too.
Is it just me or are England really boring with the occasional flash of brilliance to keep you from nodding off?
Southgate was absolutely determined not to get overrun in midfield like they did at the World Cup and the more defensive approach with Rice and Philips (& Trippier) achieved just that.
Pressing and domination by England in first 20mins was excellent but not sustainable in that heat...and tbf Croatia worked them out as well.
Once they got the goal they just did a really Pro job on Croatia which is something England have been criticised for not being able to do in the past. Watching Modric drop deeper and deeper to pick the ball up was nice...think he was legless by the later stages too. Not that exciting but hey...England playing like a real tournament team!

I agree It does look suspiciously like racism ks.
Let’s also not forget that football supporters will boo just about anything though!
The national anthems, the players, the ref, var.....
Watch rugby instead, better sport and not so many fwit supporters.
I have seen many examples of ****wit behaviour by rugby union fans.
In particular where a “colts” team going on tour took over the waiting area at the euro tunnel, pissed out of their minds and singing disgusting songs with no regard for the age or sex of the other passengers who eventually were driven outside to get away from their yobbery.
I find rugby union supporters some of the most self centred, arrogant, misogynistic people it has ever been my misfortune to meet.

advertisement

Back