advertisement

The Euro 2020 (football) thread.

Well, dive, he did... That the ref decided to compensate later doesn't matter I guess.

As for the vitriol, this is of course not acceptable, but this is not so much Brexit or BJ's fault (actually I expected it to read here that the god-forsaken reactions of some 'fans' were the PM's fault :D). This is the work of our Social Media monarchs who built their fortune by giving a platform to such moronic commentators.

If you think Brexit hasn’t played it’s part in stoking up racism in this country then you really don’t have a clue. And you’ve probably never suffered racist abuse, been followed by security guards in shops, pulled over by police because you drive a sporty car. I could go on…

England fans launched “random attacks on Italians” after the final of the Euro 2020 tournament, police have said.

Forces across the country are still collating figures on the number of incidents targeting supporters of Italy, who won the tournament on penalties.

More than 2,300 police incidents linked to the Euros have so far been recorded, surpassing the 2018 World Cup to make it the worst football tournament on record for crime.

They include stabbings, glassings, fights and assaults on police officers, with at least 622 people arrested so far in England and Wales.

Cheshire Constabulary chief constable Mark Roberts, who is the national lead for football policing, told The Independent: “We have seen random attacks on Italians ... Italians celebrating the win have been attacked.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/england-italy-fans-attack-crime-euros-b1883389.html

It's pretty grim & is this of any surprise? Lack of security is a massive concern. I'm afraid the Italians also have their own special brand of hooligans known as 'ultras' & the only saving grace is that they weren't able to show up.

It's pretty grim & is this of any surprise? Lack of security is a massive concern. I'm afraid the Italians also have their own special brand of hooligans known as 'ultras' & the only saving grace is that they weren't able to show up.

Whataboutery. Ultras associate themselves to specific clubs in the Italian championship leagues, not to international tournaments.

And this sort of England fan behaviour is not 'grim'. It's criminal, and a problem that needs to be addressed. Your police during the event appeared to be ineffective, connivant, or unwilling to deal with the problem. I would start reflecting on that and looking for answers as a country.

Last edited:
Whataboutery. Ultras associate themselves to specific clubs in the Italian championship leagues, not to international tournaments.

And this sort of England fan behaviour is not 'grim'. It's criminal, and a problem that needs to be addressed. Your police during the event appeared to be ineffective, connivant, or unable to deal with the problem. I would start reflecting on that and looking for answers as a country.
That wasn’t my intention. I deplore football violence on every level, the fact that ultras only act like thugs on the domestic scene is irrelevant. I have witnessed football violence & intimidation first hand. Some clubs in this country have terrible fans, they cause trouble all the time, it is not unique to the international game.

England fans launched “random attacks on Italians” after the final of the Euro 2020 tournament, police have said.

Forces across the country are still collating figures on the number of incidents targeting supporters of Italy, who won the tournament on penalties.

More than 2,300 police incidents linked to the Euros have so far been recorded, surpassing the 2018 World Cup to make it the worst football tournament on record for crime.

They include stabbings, glassings, fights and assaults on police officers, with at least 622 people arrested so far in England and Wales.

Cheshire Constabulary chief constable Mark Roberts, who is the national lead for football policing, told The Independent: “We have seen random attacks on Italians ... Italians celebrating the win have been attacked.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/england-italy-fans-attack-crime-euros-b1883389.html

England should be banned from football competitions until this is stopped

And this sort of England fan behaviour is not 'grim'. It's criminal, and a problem that needs to be addressed. Your police during the event appeared to be ineffective, connivant, or unwilling deal with the problem. I would start reflecting on that and looking for answers as a country.

It starts with individuals wanting 'to play'. Its often seen as a rite of passage - a badge of honour etc. I've been involved in many a match in my home county where the criminal element took up a disproportionate amount of my time, and the vast majority of fans are well behaved - even in local derbies.

International matches are another level.

English clubs were banned from all European competitions in 1985 for 5 years courtesy of Liverpool’s
Supporters behaviour.

English clubs were banned from all European competitions in 1985 for 5 years courtesy of Liverpool’s
Supporters behaviour.

More a case of the straw that broke the camels back. Not trying to deflect from the appalling behavior that caused the tragedy but we had been having problems UK wide for a while back then and I hope it does not go back to that

Although you’re correct Bob, I think it’s also worth pointing out that the Heissall Stadium incident was the straw which broke the camels back as it had been preceded by many years of thuggery such as the Leeds fans in Paris in 74. Of course, club hooliganism leaked out to following the national team and led to sanctions like England having to play all their group games at the 90 WC on the island of Sardinia in order to be allowed to participate at the tournament.

advertisement

Back