advertisement

The Euro 2020 (football) thread.

KS, would you consider starting another thread on racism in football, or racism in society? I assume the OP started this thread to talk about the Euros/football only (he can correct me if that is not the case). Yes, taking the knee is currently part of England football's brand and yes, it is an important topic for society at large and yes, there will be the odd thread diversion from matters football but the racism topic is starting to dominate the thread. At the end of the day, England are at the Euros to play football and I, like others it seems, are here to talk about football (and hopefully engage in a little light hearted banter, hopefully at City's expense :D). Please note this post is not some contorted attempt to support racism, or racism in football nor diminish the importance of the topic.
Not sure why you directing this at me, the booing was a topic of conversation on this thread long before I got involved. It was raised initially as a condemnation of booing by Chelsea fans, I condemned it despite being a Chelsea fan, but now that it’s obviously wider than just one club, people seem to be retreating from condemning it. Strange.

Yes, and those people throwing bananas at football players not so long ago might not be racists either? It is possible to imagine they were advertising for some sort of greengrocer alliance, but I have my doubts.

Very difficult to imagine what the alternative explanation might be for people booing a well advertised gesture against racism, if it isn’t racism. This has been going on for some time, any innocent explanation would’ve been articulated by now, not least because the war on woke machine would’ve printed a ready made excuse for them well before now.

If you have some insight into the minds of these people, please share
I don't believe you are interested in what anyone who disagrees with you thinks.

I don't believe you are interested in what anyone who disagrees with you thinks.
On the contrary, I have asked repeatedly for an innocent explanation for the booing, but am yet to have one that makes sense.

I view the booing of players and managers making an explicitly anti racist gesture to be booing against the anti racist gesture and therefore object to anti racism. If you disagree with that then please state your reasons because all I’ve heard so far is a legalistic defence of the booers that you can’t definitely prove they are racist.

If it looks racist, and it sure as hell sounds racist, then in the absence of an explanation to the contrary I shall continue to assume it is racist

By highlighting the bit in bold should I presume that you deny that anyone who does not share your relaxed attitude to racism is not a lifelong football fan?
I’m sure you will continue to presume all manner of things about many pfm members regardless of what people actually say.

On topic.
Looking forward to all 3 games today. I have a real feeling Scotland will beat the Czechs to set up a great match later in the week.

I'm sure that there is a specific thread for the booing of the knee, can we keep this thread for football chat, and not arguing about racism, please?

There was a Taking the Knee thread I thought, but can't find it now. Hoofed I suppose.

I wish we had an argument room so I could just avoid everything in it.

I’m sure you will continue to presume all manner of things about many pfm members regardless of what people actually say.

On topic.
Looking forward to all 3 games today. I have a real feeling Scotland will beat the Czechs to set up a great match later in the week.
By highlighting what you did, you are the one making presumptions, and ironically, despite calling for this to be taken out of this thread, you are the one who keeps returning to it .

There was a Taking the Knee thread I thought, but can't find it now. Hoofed I suppose.

I wish we had an argument room so I could just avoid everything in it.
Fair enough, I for one will not raise the subject of racist booing on this thread again, though I will respond to others who do

I find rugby union supporters some of the most self centred, arrogant, misogynistic people it has ever been my misfortune to meet.

not only me then?

not just the supporters but also the participants. Some of the worst sexist behaviour I have ever had the misfortune to witness

By highlighting what you did, you are the one making presumptions, and ironically, despite calling for this to be taken out of this thread, you are the one who keeps returning to it .
:D Side splitting.

My daughter, who has done First Aid volunteer work for St John’s Ambulance for some years, tells me they usually get more work at a rugby match than at a football match. Rugby matches have more booze involved, sometimes with glasses and bottles, while security/policing is more “light touch”.

I take your points 100% and think that it could just be me but with the fabulous league we have and the incredible English players my expectations are always left unsatisfied. I must say I reckon Liverpool, Chelsea Man U and City could take on England and beat them....
Not Newcastle though.
I agree we are not up with France and Belgium etc on paper but cause for cautious optimism.
Form could go right out the window with the local derby mind!

Cheers, but I won't be posting on it. I'm only interested in it taking the political arguments out of this thread so we could talk about the football.

And on that subject, I'll be cheering on Scotland this afternoon, as I was and will Wales. When / if either come up against England I'll want England to win, but no more than that. The banter I find entertaining, like the Scottish chaps on Peter Crouch's show last night, but once it no longer feels like banter I'm out.

It would be interesting to see a new Corinthian team I think. Not holding my breath of course.

Fair enough, I for one will not raise the subject of racist booing on this thread again, though I will respond to others who do

Likewise, in fact I"ll just duck out of this thread altogether. If people think some anti-racist discussion spurred on by something happening at the games is spoiling the thread about their beloved game then I have a very strong feeling they are part of the problem. Adieu!

Cheers, but I won't be posting on it. I'm only interested in it taking the political arguments out of this thread so we could talk about the football.

And on that subject, I'll be cheering on Scotland this afternoon, as I was and will Wales. When / if either come up against England I'll want England to win, but no more than that. The banter I find entertaing, like the Scottish chaps on Peter Crouch's show last night, but once it no longer feels like banter I'm out.

It would be interesting to see a new Corinthian team I think. Not holding my breath of course.
The originals are still going, sort of

Likewise, in fact I"ll just duck out of this thread altogether. If people think some anti-racist discussion spurred on by something happening at the games is spoiling the thread about their beloved game then I have a very strong feeling they are part of the problem. Adieu!
Very true, we are all racists and are part of the problem for wanting to talk football and not politics.
See ya!

This is a tricky one.
I tend to support the home nations regardless of being English.
Then again the czech’s make great beer.
Decision’s!

advertisement

Back