advertisement

The difficult second album...........

Just given the first LP of Warehouse a spin and it is way better than I remembered. I was put off by the very bright mix and thin drum-sound initially, which sounded like eleven million tweeters on my old ‘80s Roksan/Naim/Kan rig that I’d have had back when this was released. I remember not getting on with it too well and I’ve possibly not played it since then! Sounds great through giant Tannoys; still bright, but there is an appropriate sledgehammer behind it now. It’s a US 1st press judging by Discogs, which makes sense as it would have been current when I bought it. They were a great pop group, this really is bubblegum pop with a chainsaw guitar! I guess they always were really.

Something a bit different - Depeche Mode’s Speak and Spell was excellent, and their 2nd long player ‘A Broken Frame’ seemed very underwhelming without Vince Clarke. However I found it dark, moody and rather good. The recent Marsheaux reworking of this lp is also worth visiting, if you like pristine electro.

Something a bit different - Depeche Mode’s Speak and Spell was excellent, and their 2nd long player ‘A Broken Frame’ seemed very underwhelming without Vince Clarke. However I found it dark, moody and rather good. The recent Marsheaux reworking of this lp is also worth visiting, if you like pristine electro.

I love DM as you know, but even at the time I found Speak and Spell a bit 'lightweight' and always thought they had something darker and better in them... off goes Vince Clarke and there it is :D

I love DM as you know, but even at the time I found Speak and Spell a bit 'lightweight' and always thought they had something darker and better in them... off goes Vince Clarke and there it is :D

Nothing wrong with that tinkly-bonk first LP at all, even if the re-recorded version of "Photographic" isn't quite as good as the one they recorded for Some Bizzare.

Nothing wrong with that tinkly-bonk first LP at all, even if the re-recorded version of "Photographic" isn't quite as good as the one they recorded for Some Bizzare.

Speak & Spell is an album I played a lot, but it got nabbed about 30 yrs. ago and I haven’t desired to replace it. Ignored A Broken Frame, but Violator is supreme listening. Even got The Wife to like that album Violator (she had only heard the singles on the radio) which was pleasing.

MC 900 Ft. Jesus is a good example were the first album, ‘Hell With The Lid Off’ was an excellent debut, but the second and third (last) albums get better and his writing develops.

‘One Step Ahead Of The Spider (1994) is a joy, a mix of jazz, hip-hop and leftfield lyrics, and is worth a listen whatever your bag. I like his voice as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01G65PPCU/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

IMO their best early tracks are Photographic, Dreaming of Me, Shout and Ice Machine and only one of those makes it on to that first LP and, like you say, it's not as good as the original version. Incidentally, as much as I love DM, the best version of Ice Machine is by Royksopp ... again IMO.

MC 900 Ft. Jesus is a good example were the first album, ‘Hell With The Lid Off’ was an excellent debut, but the second and third (last) albums get better and his writing develops.

‘One Step Ahead Of The Spider (1994) is a joy, a mix of jazz, hip-hop and leftfield lyrics, and is worth a listen whatever your bag. I like his voice as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01G65PPCU/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

MC 900 Ft. Jesus was still working the counter at a record store in Dallas when a lot of this was going down, and was a hell of a nice guy.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I've always found this an interesting one, the curse of the second album that is

Some artists manage to avoid the perils of the follow up album, whilst others don't

A good example of each in my opinion is, Give Em Enough Rope - The Clash , still a decent album but nothing like it's predecessor The Clash and luckily they found form and then some for London Calling

Whereas New Order took it to another level with with Power, Corruption and Lies, I think this is where they really found their "sound"

Anyone else care to add to this?

Bon Jovi for me is an example ... Runaway was good but Slippery When Wet stellar.

MC 900 Ft. Jesus was still working the counter at a record store in Dallas when a lot of this was going down, and was a hell of a nice guy.

Managed to see him twice in the 90’s, both great gigs. Once at the Jazz Cafe, London, and in Derby somewhere I can’t remember.

One Step Ahead of the Spider deserves a vinyl release.

Being a Mancunian I don’t think you can go far wrong with ‘Oasis – (What’s The Story) Morning Glory?’ for a second album.

Maverick A Strike by Finley Quaye is a great debut, the follow up Vanguard profoundly underwhelming.

All the aspects that made the first album appealing, the pop reggae leanings and nonsense poetry simply grate second time around, not aided by weaker music either.

Shame really.

Difficult 2nd album? Status Quo's 'Spare Parts' - wherein they tried sounding like the Bee Gees before discovering denim and boogie reductivism. It's truly, truly awful.

Maverick A Strike by Finley Quaye is a great debut, the follow up Vanguard profoundly underwhelming.

All the aspects that made the first album appealing, the pop reggae leanings and nonsense poetry simply grate second time around, not aided by weaker music either.

Shame really.

Agreed.
Maverick A Strike is a cracking album, hardly listened to Vanguard.

advertisement

Back