advertisement

The demise of certain first names

Its all gone to cock I'm sure I didn't type certain , I'm not really sure about anything to tell you the truth.

I had a friend called kieth, his sister was called daphne, if the football ever went over the garage roof into their back garden, oh dear deflated.

First names come and go in fashion - who names their kid Osama...……………………

Surnames are a different matter as it would take a conscious decision to specifically change that. There is a website dedicated to surnames that have gone or are close to extinct.

The first name ‘corona’ was given 44 time in my county, The Netherlands.

for sake of privacy I can’t mention my kids names, but they have traditional names - I do have a unusual Germanic name too.

I believe some far right nut job was charged under some obscure law after naming their baby Hitler last year!

Not exactly -

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ter-hitler-jailed-for-terror-group-membership

Very unpleasant nutters...………………………..

The UK is totally relaxed in terms of what anyone chooses to call themselves. Many/most assume that you need things like deed poll to change your name (or marriage). Not so, if I want to call myself Jesus Christ Hitler-Bin Laden, I can, and the law accepts that fact with nothing more than my stated wish to be known as such.

Gary. Sorry Garys. Only 26 Garys born in the UK in 2016. Of course there might have been Garymania since then, in which case I apologise.

I used to teach a student called Lee King and one called Bo Dickie. Bring children into the world and then set them up for humiliation and ridicule?

VERY far from uncommon.

My father was William Charles. I was at school with someone whose mother was Valerie Doreen and a lad on one school bus was Gordon Bennett, LONG before that meant anything though, but he will, hopefully still be around with the name.

Just switched over to the main system, radio 2 streamed from PC through DAC etc, as valves warmed up in Stereo 20 I was greeted by "Springtime for Hitler"! Mel Brookes interview on! Still funny as feck!

advertisement

Back