advertisement

The David Lynch Appreciation Society

mandryka

pfm Member
I've finally gotten round to Twin Peaks Series 3 -- I'm up to episode 4. Is this going to be as self indulgent as Inland Empire? So far there's too much Red Room and puke if you ask me -- it's almost like Dr Who in parts.

Loved Mullholland Drive.

I'm afraid this calls for an HMHB lyric:

'I dream of occasional fanzine mentions
I've been to one too many David Lynch conventions
I play postal chess with a man who doesn't know me
And I've got a better frown than Tony Iommi'

(4AD3DCD)

I love almost everything Lynch has done (in film and TV - no idea about the music) but Twin Peaks Season 3 (The Return) is the pinnacle for me. It's magnificent and really clicks into place at the end (not that it makes "sense" as such). I remember watching episode 8 in a state of shock and awe - I'd like to shake the hand of every HBO executive who gave Lynch permission to put this amazing thing on the screen - God knows if their gamble paid off, financially speaking, but they had a hand in creating some of the greatest television of all time.

Beyond TP, The Return, I like later Lynch best - Mullholland Drive, Lost Highway... though I haven't quite got the hang of Inland Empire yet (need to give it another go).

Eraserhead, Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, Straight Story also great in their very different ways. The only film of his that's never clicked with me is Wild at Heart - just doesn't seem to be much substance there.

And Dune, of course. ;)

Mulholland Drive. Simultaneously WTF? and WOW! I must watch it again.....

The candy coloured clown they call the sandman... inspired! Fonda couldn't learn the lyrics so the other guy, whose name I can't remember, did it.... and nailed it!:)

The first season of Twin Peaks is tops for me. I was university age at the time and watching it each week. Completely mesmerized.

Mulholland Drive ranks as an all time top film for me. Maybe the best film of this century?

Tried several times his Dune, in different periods of my life. No matter when, the pacing of that movie is sooo off…
Not sure about the behind the scenes, but I guess this is also a prime example of studio meddling.

Nonetheless he is forgiven as the rest of his movies are all outsranding.

One which has a big impact on me is Fire Walk With Me. What I appreciate most about Lynch isn’t the narrative or the symbolism or even the images and the oneiric quality of some of the scenes. It’s the suggestion that in bourgeois America something is very wrong - and Fire Walks With Me, with its explicit incest, captures that better than anything else I’ve heard.

This scene is IMO, great poetry - with its image of failure to communicate something which desperately needs to be said. Nice to see someone else agrees and feels strongly enough to upload it to YouTube!

I finished S3 episode 4 last night. Too much comedy for me. So far the bit which keeps coming back into my head is the scene with the drugged mother and her boy in episode 3

17_TPB_Loc_CA_119House_Part3119Mom1.jpg

By the way, if anyone’s interested, I decided to explore TP3 after listening to this (French) radio programme about Mullholland Drive

https://www.radiofrance.fr/francecu.../mulholland-drive-de-david-lynch-2001-7336340

advertisement

Back