advertisement

The darker side of the "Vinyl Revival"

Bloody hell. That's just outrageous.

Not outrageous on one point. If you consider the fact that many of the analogue master tape recordings of the non-digital era have long being in storage, are now got "flakey" - crumbled, deteriorated or disintegrated.
Studios that took action in many cases to preserve their music "just in time" , transferred the material up to the digital stock /domain.

So most of those proclaimed " alleged pristine180gm. / 'purist -100% analogue' re-release vinyl releases " - being marketed , are a complete marketing ****!
Plus the fact: that using some of those 180 gram discs, many present sold TT do not have speed adjustment.

With an extra 30 grams or so of weight over a 140-150 gram vinyl disc being used , at random: that ...is equivalent... to over, a an extra ounce, that should do 'wonders' to sound pitch accuracy

Vinyl is great, but don't buy new production vinyl. No point really since most is just produced to catch the retro wave. Quality is distinctly the secondary consideration.

Leave new releases to the digital formats.

Collecting and playing the older stuff, produced when vinyl was a dominant format is the key to good quality.
That's around 50 years of recorded music so it's not like you don't have choice.

When I don't have information to the contrary, my modus operandi for good sound quality is to buy older records, early CDs and pretty much any SACD.

It's not foolproof, but it works more often than not for rock and pop titles.

Joe

Vinyl is great, but don't buy new production vinyl. No point really since most is just produced to catch the retro wave. Quality is distinctly the secondary consideration.

Leave new releases to the digital formats.

Collecting and playing the older stuff, produced when vinyl was a dominant format is the key to good quality.
That's around 50 years of recorded music so it's not like you don't have choice.

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments.

At the same time, we can be grateful for any music from the past - that was no doubt , analogue recorded-: presently released in some digital format that was previously locked away in some archive vault being made available. . Now due to "Digital's very own set of viability & marketing rules", making it possible.
In the old golden days of analogue, the thought that such vast quantities of music and range, would be available -was totally unthinkable.

Possibly today, the only way a truly genuine vinyl copy of some much praised "masterpiece" recording of the past could be faithfully recreated ...would be to get an fully unplayed first edition pressing from the past- out of some eccentric's rare collection: then use a proper set -up laser reader TT, to grab the information and start the whole '"analogue pressing chain" once again.

The expensive re-releases one sees in shops being sold, are but mere "wishful pipe dreams".

My only comment reading through this thread would be who on earth would want to spend all of their time listening only to old music?

Vinyl is going crazy round here (E Yorks). A pal of mine is giving up his day job to trade full time. EVery time he sells at a record fair or vintage market he clears over £600. Only thing restricting him is lack of time to source stock and also to list rare stuff properly on Discogs and eBay and the like. That will change when he gives up his job. It's maybe a regional thing but every other person I speak to has just bought a turntable. Mad.

My only comment reading through this thread would be who on earth would want to spend all of their time listening only to old music?

I think you can do both actually. Vinyl and streaming are pretty much my main sources.

Vinyl is going crazy round here (E Yorks). A pal of mine is giving up his day job to trade full time. EVery time he sells at a record fair or vintage market he clears over £600. Only thing restricting him is lack of time to source stock and also to list rare stuff properly on Discogs and eBay and the like. That will change when he gives up his job. It's maybe a regional thing but every other person I speak to has just bought a turntable. Mad.

Blimey! Best of luck to your pal :)

I'm finding it very hard to find stock of late, you really have to go some to make a living out of it these days as everyone and their dog has a go now with eBay, discogs etc. A whole different scene from a decade or two ago where I could usually take a bus or train to pretty much anywhere and end up not buying all the good stuff as there was just too much to carry. It's really thin pickings of late. I could do with buying a good collection or two!

I'm finding it very hard to find stock of late, you really have to go some to make a living out of it these days as everyone and their dog has a go now with eBay, discogs etc. A whole different scene from a decade or two ago where I could usually take a bus or train to pretty much anywhere and end up not buying all the good stuff as there was just too much to carry. It's really thin pickings of late. I could do with buying a good collection or two!

Strange. As I suggested maybe a regional thing. North West always had coolest record collections etc! We are catching up!

Tony,

The used record market is insane at the moment.

Last month I nabbed Bach's Magnificat In D Major — a box set of five mint LPs — for three Canadian clams or about 1.5 of your squids, while on the same outing I saw tonnes of iffy (not Iggy) pop and rock vinyl in terrible shape for about $12 each, cast-off records that used to be in the 25-cent bin a couple of years ago.

There are still bargains to be had, but it seems the market has evolved toward spectacular fleecing of people who may be new to used vinyl.

Joe

Strange. As I suggested maybe a regional thing. North West always had coolest record collections etc! We are catching up!

It is interesting as the stuff I'd be expecting to hit the market in some quantity as owners die (50s, 60s jazz, Beatles, psych etc) just doesn't seem to be doing so. I think shops with front doors are doing ok (one only wants a high st shop to buy, not to sell IMO - you can just sit there and people actually bring you vinyl, for which you can pay a pittance!), but on visiting the local record shops pickings seem fairly thin, I definitely bring a lot less back home these days. The charity shops have completely tanked, may as well close them all now they are so crap, and the local auction house tends only to get the kind of light music crap that ends up in charity shops. For myself I've largely moved to CD hunting now as there are a good deal out there and most people haven't grasped the early pressings market yet.

Tony,

The used record market is insane at the moment.

Last month I nabbed Bach's Magnificat In D Major — a box set of five mint LPs — for three Canadian clams or about 1.5 of your squids, while on the same outing I saw tonnes of iffy (not Iggy) pop and rock vinyl in terrible shape for about $12 each, cast-off records that used to be in the 25-cent bin a couple of years ago.

There are still bargains to be had, but it seems the market has evolved toward spectacular fleecing of people who may be new to used vinyl.

Joe

I've given up some time ago buying used records from brick and mortar stores. If there's some old record I really want, I'll seek it out from online vendors.

I'm mainly interested in purchasing new vinyl from online sources at bargain prices. My most valuable recordings are the ones I purchased on vinyl the last couple decades.

Yes, but the writing is very small on those CD booklets and oldies have to put their reading specs on to read them.

They can read the nice big fonts on the 12" sleeves though....:p

I think it is the plastic cases that soon get scratched and look naff? slightly worn LP covers still look ok but not cd cases>

I wonder how long it will last?

advertisement

Back