advertisement

The Cure - love this song..

Love the Cure and 'A Forest' is one of my all-time favourite tracks of theirs. Always reminds me of driving back to Sheffield from Birmingham late one night after seeing a band called 'Living Colour' who did a gig at the Hummingbird Club - this is back in 1988 or something like that. (I was at college in Sheffield at the time). I was on the A38 at what must have been about 11 at night, it was dark, the road was quiet, and this song came up on the tape I had playing in the car. 'A Forest' seemed kind of appropriate at the time - a perfect soundtrack to that part of the journey.

A slighty quirky (but excellent) version I just saw for the first time:

"Boys don't cry" came on the radio the other day and reminded me how good they were:) I'm well familiar with it like anyone but I guess hadn't actually heard it for a year or two and it sounded so fresh.

Was never a big fan of the Cure growing up. However, I have 'accidentally' listened to some of their b-sides on youtube and I have to admit - there have some really good tracks.
Like all great bands, they bring something unique to the table and if one listens to a cure song - you can immediately identify with them. There's something atmospheric, magical, ... about their approach to music.

Brilliant. Brilliant band.

Full recent concert in HD at the Sydney Opera House is/was available.

Good music. But why the is bass player walking around all the time disturbing the show? I was first thinking, he's a speed freak. or maybe he does a bass players kind of duck-walk. It is just a part of the image of the band Cure. The walking disturbing bass player.

Just going to bump this up there ...

Glastonbury 1986 - A Forest at 42 mins in (though worth listening to from the start):

OK, it's late and am a little pi*&^d but this is pretty good and different (as in there's some extra stuff in there):

Was lucky enuf to be a Glastonbury 86 (I went to virtually every one from 85 till 2003 when ill health knocked it on head)
The cure were f\in superb, did help I was on a particularly good micro dot.
I miss early Glasto, no fences, no security, camp where you like, lots of places to chill, and most of all ‘dance’ music hadn’t killed the hippy vibe.
The trees my fave cure track.

I’d heard of them but only got interested when I came across ‘killing an Arab’ on the radio ; that was for the music rather than the lyric of course. Just looked them up on Wiki. It says they played this song in their 2005 European tour but it was changed to kissing an Arab! They deserve their medals but it wasn’t my kind of music on closer inspection.

It was 2005. We forget history at our peril. Algeria is to France as Northern lreland is to England… both ongoing and damaging.

I saw them by accident yesterday, never paid them any attention previously but I did like what they were doing, Disintegration seems to be the album to get as a taster. I always think of them as newcomers but see they’ve been going 40+ years if my trigonometry is correct!

advertisement

Back