advertisement

The Coffee Thread

do you spritz your beans before grinding?

I do yes since Hoffman mentioned it. My one criticism of the Wilfa Uniform over the past few months has been that the metal container tends to get quite a lot stuck to it without a good whack to shake it loose and this has helped with this. I still get a few grounds stuck in the corners so it needs a rinse each evening and the water tends to make a few beans stick in the bowl I weigh my beans in.

Possibly issues of spray and static might be more significant for espresso types with much finer grinds and where declumping / grind distribution is more of a thing.

Right, well increased WFH and a moka pot which just isn't cutting it, means I'm getting itchy fingers.

I'd love to take the plunge on a Linea Mini, reassuring myself that over a lifetime it's a bargain, but being realistic, I'm seriously looking at the Lelit Mara X. Has anyone had any experience with the Lelit or the brand in general, or have any other sub 1k recommendations?

Right, well increased WFH and a moka pot which just isn't cutting it, means I'm getting itchy fingers.

I'd love to take the plunge on a Linea Mini, reassuring myself that over a lifetime it's a bargain, but being realistic, I'm seriously looking at the Lelit Mara X. Has anyone had any experience with the Lelit or the brand in general, or have any other sub 1k recommendations?
A mocha pot is OK but it's a different animal to an espresso. I favour the Nespresso but it gets expensive to run if you use it a lot. Next up is a bean-to-cup, I'd go there for £400-500 if I were at home all day. My parents have had one for 2 or 3 years now, use it every day and it still makes great coffee without fuss.

I was looking at the Sage bean-to-cup machines initially, but I really want something which could (in theory) last a lifetime, and can be completely stripped down/repaired etc - hence I've decided they probably aren't for me.

I use to be 3-5 strong coffee’s from a bean to cup machine when working from home. If in the USA it was kind of constant, I always seemed to have a cup on the go. After 12 years or so the bean to cup machine broke for the third time and this time Neff would not fix it for free and the estimated repair was £300 I think do we got rid of it and moved to a Nespresso machine which we still have. Somewhere along the way I drifted to just having one cup a day 11 ish and tea the rest of the time. I occasionally have a second but extremely rarely. We are using Toast decaf capsules for my wife and I use realcoffee.dk Milano strong capsules. We both have as a Latte style but less milk and I double up on the shot
Hey! It's a wise pick for sure. What do you think about choosing latte stuff, pals?

Welcome Frank, but let’s leave the ‘pals’ stuff until we all know each other a bit better, shall we? Otherwise, it gets a bit meaningless. I don’t really understand the question, to be honest. I tend to choose the milk that’s in the fridge, if that’s what you mean. Or are you going to offer us some amazing latte stuff, perhaps?

Enjoying Square Mile and Round Hill coffees at the moment.

Since I retired I am drinking fewer cups but much better quality. Mainly Aeropress or French press.

Last edited:
I was looking at the Sage bean-to-cup machines initially, but I really want something which could (in theory) last a lifetime, and can be completely stripped down/repaired etc - hence I've decided they probably aren't for me.

Do lever machines appeal to you?

I have a 2 group linea, and a 2 group gaggia lever machine, but my little europiccola is capable of producing shots just as good.

It's more of a learning curve and not as consistent but more rewarding when you get that perfect shot.

Terrible for entertaining as it's much slower and if you try to rush it you get rewarded with a face full of hot grounds, but perfect for making 1 or 2 cups.

DSC_6627.JPG

Lelit Mara X.
If you are considering going down the espresso route the grinder choice is critical. You’re in for a world of hurt if you don’t have a consistent fine repeatable grind. Yes PIDs and e61 group heads are nice but a solid grinder like a mazzer and a Silvia might yield better results than a cheap grinder and high end machine.

A lot of the grinders available on, say, Amazon (to pick a retailer at random) are Chinese. I'm dismayed to know that mine is one such. Given the present tensions, and overlapping concerns about a Russia-China axis I'm actively trying to reduce my consumption of Chinese-made goods, so it'd be good to learn of any reputable models made, ideally in the EU, but otherwise, outside China.

A lot of the grinders available on, say, Amazon (to pick a retailer at random) are Chinese. I'm dismayed to know that mine is one such. Given the present tensions, and overlapping concerns about a Russia-China axis I'm actively trying to reduce my consumption of Chinese-made goods, so it'd be good to learn of any reputable models made, ideally in the EU, but otherwise, outside China.

budget?

what sort of coffee - do you need it for espresso?

I use an Aeropress and make a sort of flat white using a standalone milk frother, so a fairly fine grind but not so fine as for a proper espresso machine. I'm not looking to replace it until it goes pop, that would be silly, but when it does, being aware of alternatives will be useful. Though at that point, I may look at a bean to cup machine anyway.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Wilfa Uniform - great for Pour over, french press and Aeropress. Wont go fine enough for espresso though. Made in Norway about £260
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0876RVJ9L/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

have a look here - they are an excellent outlet and offer great advice: https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/

here is what we use - good for pourover, espresso - everything apart from Turkish (although some claim it can do it) - https://www.nichecoffee.co.uk/ made in UK, and £499

I should add, we bought my SiL (an ex barista) a Wilfa Uniform - (she only makes pour over and french press) and she is very impressed by the grinder, in particular the uniformity of the grounds.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I use an Aeropress and make a sort of flat white using a standalone milk frother, so a fairly fine grind but not so fine as for a proper espresso machine. I'm not looking to replace it until it goes pop, that would be silly, but when it does, being aware of alternatives will be useful. Though at that point, I may look at a bean to cup machine anyway.

I bought an expensive grinder once, it was fine until it broke, and then repair was prohibitive. I replaced it with the cheapest on Amazon, a De Longhi, and as soon as I got it it was a major improvement on the expensive one because the burrs were clean and new. The moral is that if you care about these things, you need to look after the burrs. You won’t notice the deterioration because it is gradual, but it is really there and it is significant.

The De Longhi was a mistake, not because of the grinding, but because the plastic made coffee cling to it, resulting in a mess - it must have been static doing this. Also the hopper was small. It made me see that there’s more to a good grinder than how well it grinds.

I replaced it with a Dualit, which I think is the same as Cuisinart. It is absolutely good enough for me and I have no hesitation recommending it.

it must have been static doing this. Also the hopper was small. It made me see that there’s more to a good grinder than how well it grinds.

Dunno what you call expensive........

It would have been static. The better (not necessarily expensive) grinders mitigate against this in their mechanics. My grinder suffers from it minimally. It can also be completely dismantled for repair or overhaul or servicing - as incidentally could its predecessor. (Rancillio Rocky).

I also have a Wilfa Uniform and have been very happy with it. It's quite an expensive grinder for pour over, so you have to be very into your coffee, although they also make a cheaper model called the Svart for about 40% the price. That said if you are going to spend money on coffee then the thing you should spend money on is the grinder (and the coffee itself obvs) and it will be better money spend that on a bean to cup machine.

Wilfa are a Norwegian company although I don't know where they are actually made -- the economics of it mean that very often at least some of the parts will be made in China. The Baratza grinders are also worth looking at (canadian company, not sure where they are actually made).

Hoffman sells both Wilfa grinders here for the same price as the Amazon sellers and he has reviews of both on this youtube channel : https://shop.squaremilecoffee.com/collections/equipment

not because of the grinding, but because the plastic made coffee cling to it, resulting in a mess - it must have been static doing this.

Read up thread about a small drop of water added to the grinds will help and often eliminate static cling in the grinder bin. Although ultimately metal bins are just better.

For cleaning, you can buy things like these. Which always make me wince as I am effectively paying for something very close to sawdust. But you don't need to use them very often so they last forever.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0014J7FUY/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

advertisement

Back