advertisement

The Coffee Thread

There are 3 others I think in the series. I’ve always been poor at latte art so I have reduced the Vesuvius pressure to 1.2 bar and fitted the 1-hole tip I have to follow those videos for a bit of fun in the next few weeks.

I sent my daughter on a three day barista course recently, so I have a great critic of my milk preparation (I drink only short blacks) and someone to compete with! Sometimes I manage to get perfect flat white consistency, sometimes very good on the cappuccino or hot chocolate style. Other times it still goes to s#it. Latte Art improving!

It would be like if one got into wine and then spent lots of time talking about different corkscrews and glasses but kept drinking the same generic "French Chardonnay". Which is, of course, fine if that's what you like but I can't help think of it as if not missing the point but certainly missing out.

(All of which I mean generically rather than you specifically and it was just your comment that prompted this post).

Let’s have a thread on corkscrews

latest LSOL sub arrived today. From the Obadiah roastery. Can't wait - will have to get through other supplies first.

Felicita Arc scales ordered. Picked up a couple of 250g bags of locally roasted beans yesterday; one's our regular (Havana 'Super Deluxe'), one we've not had for a while (though I usually have it when visiting the roaster's cafe - People's Coffee 'Don Wilfredo'). I need to find the recipe for Don Wilfredo - it was a tastebud disaster this morning! Changed over to Super Deluxe and a minor grind amendment to account for new batch.

Is there anything else going on other than the varying amount of caffeine that causes the size of buzz you get off a coffee?

I only ask because I have one or two most days in various places and made in various ways, but I had one this morning that I think came out of an illy machine or similar and Christ on a cross I was tripping balls for the best part of 3 hours, and I never get a reaction like that from a small coffee.

If it was just caffeine how bloody much was in it?

Caffeine level can vary, Honduran Becamo De Fleur was known as nature’s answer to decaffeinated so it figures that others are heavier. I haven’t particularly researched it though so will read up a bit.

50-60mg is what we expect from a single espresso shot. The FDA has said adult daily healthy limit (guideline) is around 400mg per day.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-...healthy-eating/in-depth/caffeine/art-20045678

Hard to find good info on what to expect in a single shot espresso. Variables appear to be the standard shot (7g Italian standard shot, 9g standard NZ/Aus/USA shot)... we typically do 2:1 shots so a double-shot 18d should yeild 36g out (around 30 ml) in ~27-30 seconds. Yet many report caffeine concentration of 60-odd mg in 1fl oz (100mls) of water... this is a huge shot....

https://www.caffeineinformer.com/caffeine-content/espresso

Thankfully Mr Hoffmann did caffeine analysis recently -EDIT: I'm getting in my single(9g) shot espresso ~51-63mg per 30 ml (1 fl oz). So my one or two singles and a couple of doubles gets me around 300-370mg/day.

We've been drinking a couple of bags from local roasters (beans - ignore the bags marked 'plunger & filter' below), kindly gifted to me .

200g of L'Affare Gusto (Intense & Chocolatey - tasting notes "Black Forest Chocolate") which I got dialled-in quickly, and found it consistent and enjoyable, though not as much fun as our mainstay, Havana Coffee Works 'Super Deluxe'. Quite the chocolate hit, decent body and mouth feel, though missing the complexity and character of Super Deluxe.

Laffare-Sachet-Gusto-1536x1536.jpg

Super_D.webp

I changed to the 26E basket from the 24E basket from IMS on Saturday morning. Same number of holes, deeper basket, so my tamped 18.0g shot is further away from the shower screen. Minor improvement noted.

I changed over at the end of the Gusto bag on Sunday arvo to 500g of L'Affare Primo (Big & Bold - tasting notes "Molasses, Marmalade, Shortbread'). Much bigger hit, I certainly get the marmalade (bitter citrus marmalade and smokey dark molasses), it was running about 32 seconds, made a mental note to grind looser.

Laffare-Sachet-Primo-1536x1536.jpg

On Monday morning (after our first morning coffee), I removed the shower screen and seal. The round ring end of a 12mm ring and open-ended spanner is *ideal* for removing an e61 Shower Screen, no sharp edges from picks or screwdrivers. Easy! The screen was very clean (weekly backflush with espresso salts working well). I replaced the screen with an IMS Precision Nano-Coated shower screen and 8mm silicone seal, applying a thin film of food-safe silicone grease. Easy to reinstall and seat with an empty portafilter. The silicone seal is a joy, softer and 'clocks' the portafilter into a 6pm position (it was 7pm before); nice! Less struggle than the rubber one, and less wear on the group head slots and nubs on the portafilter. It runs water much better-disributed water than the factory mesh. Pressure gauge the same - 9 bar smack in the centre of the green band on the gauge, no portafilter.

4493.Jpg
cafelat-e61-8mm-red-silicone-group-gasket-9808-p.jpg

Now the shots... I need to #grindcoarser! Same grind, same prep & tamp, shots run to 38 seconds for 36-37g out, and start running at 9 seconds compared with 5 sec to start and 30-32 sec to pull 36-37g with the original screen, same pump pressure on gauge. Tastes pretty good, very different to how it tasted on Sunday and Monday morning - more colour, more intensity. I've brewed seven times since then, and found it very consistent... so tomorrow I'll grind coarser and see where it takes me flavour-wise getting back to ~28 seconds. 500g bag gives plenty to play with, it'll probably last till Monday or Tuesday next week.

Very pleased with my new Niche Zero grinder, sat next to the dependable Classic, now almost 17 yrs old. Replaced a Baratza Vario which was getting tired. Had problems with the LCD panel, main issue though was grounds retention requiring regular burr removal to access all the nooks and crannies. Grind was inconsistent and sensitive to humidity requiring continual adjustments even throughout the course of a day.

I also wanted to get away from the hopper and onto a single dose machine. Results are very good, had it a week and after a few tweaks of the setting haven't touched it since. Consistent 35g shot in 30s.

All coffee is from Nigel at the Coffee Grind on Bolton Market, dark roast Roma presently.

y4mJNvDxZjHj59QXfT_RsitnZJrbsle3E-iMNiQnibIzRI9_Vv6pG7E6MRLqUpZF49tRo5B2XTbh6MDjIQh53CDCX0RGng8WJ0oJQGmYnkDp3CUHURiFmhVCDXXUhCTZCAxRh-1wRHa_GKSDwNq-6m2o82puc4lF059iXYChCj3iKHGOrVbN2GxFLoAlb0Ee5d1

Niche Zero grinder

we love ours - set for pourover in the morning, then we adjust for espresso based drinks for during the day.

Once you've dialled in a setting for a bean, it is very reproducible and consistent if you change yhe setting for a different bean or coffee production method

Very pleased with my new Niche Zero grinder, sat next to the dependable Classic, now almost 17 yrs old. Replaced a Baratza Vario which was getting tired. Had problems with the LCD panel, main issue though was grounds retention requiring regular burr removal to access all the nooks and crannies. Grind was inconsistent and sensitive to humidity requiring continual adjustments even throughout the course of a day.

I also wanted to get away from the hopper and onto a single dose machine. Results are very good, had it a week and after a few tweaks of the setting haven't touched it since. Consistent 35g shot in 30s.

All coffee is from Nigel at the Coffee Grind on Bolton Market, dark roast Roma presently.

y4mJNvDxZjHj59QXfT_RsitnZJrbsle3E-iMNiQnibIzRI9_Vv6pG7E6MRLqUpZF49tRo5B2XTbh6MDjIQh53CDCX0RGng8WJ0oJQGmYnkDp3CUHURiFmhVCDXXUhCTZCAxRh-1wRHa_GKSDwNq-6m2o82puc4lF059iXYChCj3iKHGOrVbN2GxFLoAlb0Ee5d1
That grinder is on my shortlist next time I have the funds. I've a friend with one and he raves. Engineered so well!

Hi chaps,

I have a dear old friend,95 whose nuts on coffee. Has monmouth posh beans beans delivered (& kindly to me to.. but they don't gel with my gaggia classic, but that's irrelevant).

He uses a simple cafetiere, push down glass typical job. And a krups "helicopter-blades" cheapish grinder, remarkably reliable yet noisy little thing.

He saw my set up, with my gaggia mdf burr grinder.. & now has his eyes on a burr grinder.

I say "don't bother, they're really only needed to grind it finer, for use in espresso machines. You'll buy a chinese one that'll last 6 months, & the taste won't be any different. Stick with yours".

Am I right? The only benefit he'd get is less noise afaict.

Hi,
I love coffee, always have.
However, my lovely wife has a profound allergy to coffee smell, unlike 99 % of humanity perhaps.
This is so strong that the slightest coffee smell has her seriously angry, and leaves her with a migraine so strong that she can only treat it with Ketoprofen.

This is a serious question.

Any advice?

I presume you don't drink coffee at home, and only outside the home when not with your wife? That's about the only practical solution I can think of, and you're probably already way ahead of me. Sorry.

I do, but I use small caps over my cups, and French press brews outside, etc.
Her allergy has developed over the years, but it’s been worse since she had chemo, oddly.

advertisement

Back