Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

Discussion in 'classical' started by TheDecameron, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Adiel

Adiel pfm Member

[​IMG]

Currentzis/Stravinsky

2. gingermrkettle

gingermrkettle Deep vein trombonist

[​IMG]
    Beautiful singing, very accomplished playing but pretty much entirely lacking in the fire that a piece written in 3 weeks of creative fury should have.

BrianPK likes this.
  3. kimmiles

kimmiles pfm Member

I agree!
    I’ve got five versions of the Messiah but always go back to the Hogwood/L’Oiseau Lyre version.
    It still ticks all of the boxes for me, even after all of these years (and versions!)

eisenach and omega3 like this.
  4. rough edges

rough edges Sapere Aude

Dvorak Symphony 9, Serenade Opus 44 / Weiner Philharmoniker / Kertesz - Absolutely stunning for it’s intensity, ethnicity, and visceral beauty. Bravo, and a heartfelt debt of gratitude to Decca and the Australian Eloquence label for releasing this gem…

windhoek likes this.
  5. BrianPK

BrianPK pfm Member

jandl100 likes this.
  6. BrianPK

BrianPK pfm Member

A real discovery.I bought this 10 years ago and for some reason listened to it just the once and then forgot all about it for some strange reason.I didn’t realise I had it in my collection ‘till yesterday .It’s wonderful lighthearted string music.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000H1QUQA/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

[​IMG]

7. MUTTY1

MUTTY1 Waste of bandwidth

8. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Alan Beeb’s recommendation:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000XJ1444/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

There’s nothing more uplifting in these grim times than this suite of concertos by one of the finest humans to have lived. I used to listen to them 40 years ago exactly as a student in a bow ended bedroom at night on the other side of Edinburgh’s New Town now I’m repeating it at the other end of the New Town with worse hearing but better taste ( first time was Karajan conducting the BPO on grim period multimiced DG vinyl).

9. BrianPK

BrianPK pfm Member

pjstarkey likes this.
  10. rough edges

rough edges Sapere Aude

Scarlatti Piano Sonatas / Sudbin / BIS - I really like this guy’s way with Scarlatti. He reminds me of Horowitz, which IMO is a very good thing, especially in this repertoire.

11. Adiel

Adiel pfm Member

[​IMG]

Nice new performance of pergolesi stabat mater.

12. Le Baron

Le Baron pfm Member

Ernest MacMillan: Quartet in Cm. I mostly like this because the Scherzo always reminds me that I should listen to the allegretto tranquillo from Othmar Schoeck's 2nd quartet (see below). Nonetheless the MacMillan is a great quartet by itself.

[​IMG]

narabdela likes this.
  13. omega3

omega3 pfm Member

Anyone else like Finzi?

14. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

15. herb

herb music live

I found that the acoustic was too wooden and echoey on that recording and am still searching for something I like. Great music though.

16. Colin123

Colin123 pfm Member

A favorite of mine as well, try...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000005GSD/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I have a quiet 23 minutes listening to Wilfred Brown singing Dies natalis whenever there is a birth in the family, it never fails to bring tears to my eyes.

omega3 and narabdela like this.
  17. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

18. Colin123

Colin123 pfm Member

omega3 likes this.
  19. eisenach

eisenach #JeSuisProf

omega3 likes this.
  20. eisenach

eisenach #JeSuisProf