advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

The 2032 series so far is very good listening.

Screenshot-2021-10-09-at-10-14-48.png

81JCcRYD9cL._SX425_.jpg

My first full-length disc of music solely by Wolfgang Rihm. In my experience, his music falls into the dense, modern category, and while this music does, too, it's fairly easy to get into, no doubt because it's for a duo. When young hot shot players like Yang and Rimmer play the notes, that helps, too. Some slow and quiet playing may erupt into forte outbursts, and some music may sound more tuneful and even emotive than expected, and all comes across pristinely, in SOTA sound. Neat.

This on Medici TV. The Mendelssohn is beautiful. I thought Pletnev sounded bored by the Schumann, though he came to life in his solo encore. For me he is one of the most spellbinding pianists alive. Much of his conducting I don’t get, not helped by the orchestra he has been given.

Gianandrea Noseda

Conductor

Mikhail Pletnev
Piano

Georgian Philarmonic Orchestra
Robert Schumann - Piano Concerto in A Minor, Op. 54
Felix Mendelssohn - Symphony No. 4 in A Major, Op. 90, “Italian”

Tsinandali Festival

2021 September 8-19
Third Edition

Free download with the Naxos monthly newsletter...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001LYNXH6/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Downloading this disc immediately doubled the size of my Saint Saens collection - the only other disc I have is the Levine/BPO recording of the 3rd "Organ" Symphony. So he's not a composer who figures much in my musical world..... but really enjoying this disc, the music is genial and witty with some depth of sentiment to it too. Nether concerto is going to replace Dvorak from the top of my Cello concerto list, but I definitely prefer the 2nd to Elgar's - which seems to have been very influenced by it.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Splendid sacred music from Haydn.
Only drawback is the boy sopranos of the Choir of Christ Church Oxford tend to be recorded harshly at times.
However the compensation is that there are countless wonderfully sung passages otherwise.
The standout for me is the sweet tenor voice of Martyn Hill performing the solo “Et incarnutus est”...simply gorgeous.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00000E37V/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

61vZjEDxT9L._AC_.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Chavez Sinfonia India, inspired by finding a nice Dorian CD conducted by the much missed Eduardo Mata in the Hereford Oxfam shop on a recent visit...

51T2zlgxwsL._SX466_.jpg

...accompanied by an artisanal mezcal (Pensador Espadin) which arrived yesterday.

An excellent combination :)

advertisement

Back