advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

I was very recently given a copy of Murray Perahia’s Bach Partitas on Sony. It is stunning, so much so I immediately ordered the 8xCD box containing his Complete Sony Bach Recordings. I’ve listened to the first Keyboard Concertos disc, the aforementioned Partitas and I’m currently half way through the Goldberg disc. It is just wonderful, a stunning performance and recording. I don’t think I’ve heard a better recorded piano! I’m upstairs with the JR149 system and he’s just playing the thing right in front of me!

PS Can I please ask that folk drop links into their posts for the things they like, images are nice and very welcome, but they don’t generate any revenue at all.

Perahia’s record of the Goldberg Variations is one of most special experiences you can have. He plays them as one piece, a single conception. Amazing that he only got into Bach after injuring a finger - he thought he would never play again. I was lucky enough to hear him play them live, really wonderful. He has just released a set of the French Suites which probably aren’t in your set. Tremendous music.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Agreed, his Goldbergs is rather special. A nice counter to the Gould I'm more familiar with (I have this huge Complete Bach Collection box, but landed it when it was less than a third of the current price).

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Bach, Goldbergs: Murray Perahia. As Barenboim said, everything begins and ends with Bach -and this reading takes my breath away.

This is very spooky- I am listening at this moment then decided to post without having seen the posts above!

Brahms Violin Concerto in D (Op. 77); tracks 1-3 of this RCA Living Stereo release.

61Egw4wfA4L._AC_US160_.jpg

Kaija Saariaho spectral music from the Ondine 4 CD box Works for Orchestra.

As Barenboim said, everything begins and ends with Bach

I find it hard to argue this statement. Like most, I listen to a many, many composers and love many of them, but something about J.S. which touches me like no other. I don't like "favourite" or "best" lists because I could never decide for myself, but I can say that Johnny Sebastiano is truly special for me.

Bruckner - 4th Symphony: Günter Wand/Berlin PO - Disc 28 of this 50 Great Recording box set.

It's only the second time I've knowingly heard Bruckner: I've got his 5th Symphony somewhere but it's been so long since I've seen or heard it that it might, in fact, be his fourth and maybe my memory isn't as good as it once was!

advertisement

Back