advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

Just the delights of a little Mozart to lift the spirits on a miserable rainy day.I’m also helped by the big, bright faces of my red and yellow begonias smiling up at me from the bottom of the garden.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00002753R/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

51wEecNOefL.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Gerald Finzi - 'Intimations of Immortality'. Ian Partridge tenor, Guildford Philharmonic Choir & Orchestra conducted by Vernon Handley. Vinyl original pressing recorded in 1975. One of the wonderful analogue Lyrita recordings.

Very nice - all Lyrita vinyl very collectible these days. Anyway, to business: Geoffrey Bush’s Summer Serenade (before the weather becomes too autumnal).

61C13cYclZL._SY425_.jpg

Woo doggy! Sofya Melikyan is a name new to me, and on the evidence of this disc, she needs to record more post-haste. Her themed disc contains four works by four women, two from last century and two from this century. In the Gubaidulina sonata, Melikyan smokes Marcela Roggeri, herself quite good. Melikyan makes the most of the unabashedly modernist piece, displaying exceptional command and extracting every last musical morsel. Geghuni Chitchyan's Armenian Bas-Reliefs is a Bartokian smorgasbord; Kaija Saariaho's Prelude is a seven minute and change blend of Impressionism, spectral music, and a Ligetian style etude; and Raquel Quiaro's Cluster Suite opens very much living up to its title in the first piece and proceeds through a largely hard-hitting work, concluding with some bite and anger in the last piece.

I'd very much like to hear what Melikyan could do with Messiaen, or just about any core rep, or anything else she chooses to record. It'll be pretty much impossible for me to resist her Granados and Mompou disc.

The acronym SOTA does not do justice to the sound quality.

Amazon UK link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CX5G9LR/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
71MAfCA9liL._SY425_.jpg

Aleksandra Hortensja Dąbek is another whiz kid pianist. Her playing in the mixed core rep disc is basically beyond reproach. In Schumann, her execution is top notch, but she doesn't play up Schumann's contrasting musical personalities to an ideal degree, meaning merely that I wanted more contrast. Her Chopin is relatively better yet, with somewhat slow, rich, considered Nocturnes, and big, rich, somewhat dark Polonaises that, while lacking the last word in energy and pizzazz, nonetheless sound just swell. I look forward to hearing what else Ms Dąbek may do. Dux delivers SOTA sound, as per usual.

41WzFw4ef7L.jpg

Edna Stern and the teeny-tiny Orchestre d'Auvergne deliver some small-scaled, hyper-detailed, almost ridiculously intimate Mozart concertos. The sound is clean and dry and close, with the tiny string section bordering on the scratchy, though no one could possibly question the quality of the playing. The real draw is the pianist here, and the former Krystian Zimerman pupil demonstrates an almost obsessive attention to detail like her one time prof, except that rather than unleashing with absolute command, Stern largely goes for the opposite approach, playing with the lightest touch possible - and then playing lighter yet. She's one of those pianists who clearly relishes playing with unlimited variety between ppp and p because she does it everywhere. Occasionally, she plays with some oomph, primarily with the left hand, but most of the time she delivers an effortlessly flowing, beautiful - but not too beautiful or rarified - sound, with each note, chord, or arpeggio carefully calibrated to the surrounding music, never, ever letting anything sound disproportionate. When she plays at varying dynamic levels at once, it's most impressive. As one listens, it becomes apparent that the hyper-detailed approach means that the listener loses track of the big picture. Fortunately, when one comes around and thinks "Hey, let me listen to some of them Wolfie tunes", everything is A-OK. While it would be silly to claim that these are the best versions out there of the works on offer, they are all very fine, and Ms Stern's playing demands attention. Fortunately, she has a pretty nice discography, so I may be sampling some more of her stuff.

Amazon UK link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0044WU0BE/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Beautiful sunny day.The garden called to me repeatedly but
I still managed to spend some time with Michael Haydn.I’m very familiar with his wonderful requiem ,less so with his symphonies but they are very enjoyable. He’s too easily dismissed on account of his brother.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000001RTT/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

A1QrGtGBsLL._SX522_.jpg

I’m currently listening to Stravinsky and his magical Firebird Suite.
This would easily qualify for mandryka’s “Astonishingly holographic recordings” thread....wonderful sound quality with very noticeable front to back soundstage depth.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0007ORDX6/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

51HojJfCkoL._PJautoripBadge,BottomRight,4,-40_OU11__.jpg

71fdoKJKhcL._SY425_.jpg

Extremely impressive, full bore virtuosity. Arghamanyan, fresh off a contest win at the time, plays Rach and Liszt in a dazzling, gallery pleasing manner. The best playing - basically in the fastest, most challenging passages - thrills, there's no doubt. Beauty, introspection, poetry, poise, those all pretty much go missing, but for the type of interpretations these are, they are something. The Rach is really an anti-Pogo take, and the Liszt veers into Say territory, and nearly into Kamenz territory at times, though she lacks the coherent yet off-beat Faustian take of the Russian. She's only recorded a few other discs so far, but I may have to try her solo Rach. She's got the goods.

Amazon UK link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M7XHT3B/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Last edited:
51I5uf9O%2B3L._SX425_.jpg

Since Harriet Krijgh has signed with DG, I wanted to hear what the phenom sounds like, and since this even earlier career effort was available as an Amazon Add-on for a few bucks, I could do so on the cheap. Since it is exceedingly rare for majors (or erstwhile majors) to sign talentless artists, it is entirely unsurprising that Ms Krijgh has got the goods. Her tone is not as powerful and rich and fat as some others, which is fine, and she often sounds better higher up, which is also fine - and not unheard of. She makes her instrument sing at times, and her bowing sure sounds more than secure. She and pianist Magda Amara dispatch the Brahms sonatas with ease, and if their take is a bit lighter, a bit springier, a bit more classical than what I usually prefer, this is a fine disc, in fine sound, and now I kinda want to hear more from the cellist. Since she's not yet 30, I'm guessing I'll get to hear plenty, and I'll probably move on to her even earlier Haydn next. I also wouldn't mind hearing more from Ms Amara.

Amazon UK link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FPZKICU/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I’ve been listening to these eight works,on and off,for the past few days.They are very enjoyable.The fast outer movements of a few of the earlier symphonies are possibly a little on the noisy side ...lots of blaring horns.The mature works are naturally of a higher quality.
However, some of the slow movements are exceptionally good...moody and inward looking...really enjoyable.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000E9JB/?tag=pinkfishmedia-20
51kh5w6BouL.jpg

I have quite a few cds with the Bournemouth Sinfonietta.
For some reason I always feel a sense of regret when I see their name and realise that they are only a very pleasant memory now.
There’s something poignant about the loss of an orchestra...it’s unique and it’s loss is never really replaced.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bournemouth_Sinfonietta

Mozart Divertimenti played by the Weiner Oktett, in recordings from the early to mid 60's. Sublime. I love the Decca Eloquence re-releases from Australia...

What a miserable damp old day!
Time for a cheering up...time for a toe tapping,happy Vivaldi Concerto for oboe and violin op.7....I MUSICI and the great Heinz Holliger of course...one of my best buys.

81o19OFxOML._AC_SX679_.jpg

61qJU8It1EL._AC_.jpg

Of recordings made in last 10 years or so, this one is in my stand-out list. Its a wonderful performance, superb recording, great playing from an orchestra that can hardly ever have played this before yet sound to-the-manor-born - and Barenboim conducts it with absolute love for the music.
4786677.jpg

advertisement

Back