advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

Playing this toe tapping happy music on and off all day.The fast movements are so light hearted,yet there’s great depth and beauty in the slow movements.
This is the last of my Albinoni discs...great pity.Time to go a hunting ...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000041NC/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

71DVF%2BrXpkL._SX522_PJautoripBadge,BottomRight,4,-40_OU11__.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Following on from seeing the Janet Baker documentary on BBC4 I'm catching up with some of her recordings I have not played for a while.
Janet Baker with (the late) Andre Previn: Brahms 'Four Serious Songs OP.121', 'Two Songs for Alto and Viola OP.91'. (Cecil Aronowitz, Viola).
Vinyl 1978 EMI LP.

Janet Baker, Sir John Barbirolli, New Philharmonia Orchestra. Berlioz, 'Les Nuits d'ete', Ravel 'Scheherazade'.
Vinyl 1968 EMI LP.

Edit: What I had forgotten was the accomplying translation booklet mixes up the side and track order!

Beethoven - Piano Concerto's 4 & 5, Till Fellner piano, Orchestra Symphonique de Montreal issued by ECM records. A great performance enhanced by a very good recording. It is one of several CD's I have from the same orchestra all of which are superbly recorded, and the performances are not bad either! Pure joy - to me.

Mahler 3 (Adam Fischer/Dusseldorf). Loads of energy, flexibility of tempo, and -- crucially for Mahler -- just the right degree of lunacy (i.e. quite a lot). Also excellent sound. The dynamics through my JBL 4429s are shockingly good.

If you fancy splashing out, so far all the Adam Fischer Mahlers are wonderful. I think he's done 1, 3, 4, 5 and 7, though I may have missed one out. I'd particularly recommend his 7th.

1533039873.jpg

Schumann Symphony No.3 then Mendelssohn No.5. Shockingly bad Karajan-BPO DG recordings from 72 and 73/ digital transfers.

Mahler 3 (Adam Fischer/Dusseldorf). Loads of energy, flexibility of tempo, and -- crucially for Mahler -- just the right degree of lunacy (i.e. quite a lot). Also excellent sound. The dynamics through my JBL 4429s are shockingly good.

If you fancy splashing out, so far all the Adam Fischer Mahlers are wonderful. I think he's done 1, 3, 4, 5 and 7, though I may have missed one out. I'd particularly recommend his 7th.

1533039873.jpg
On a tangent, the Edinburgh Festival technical director told me AF’s daughter does the translation supertitles at opera performances for her uncle, Ivan. I don’t think I’ve heard anything conducted by Adam.

Ivan Fischer seems to have stolen his brother's limelight and then some. I have Adam Fischer's recording of Duke Bluebeard's Castle from late 1980s. Sam Ramey does well but it has Eva Marton, and she was the kiss of death to any recording she made (mid 80s to mid 90s) no idea why the record companies held to her.

I saw Adam Fischer conduct the Scottish Chamber Orchestra in early 90s,they performed Schoenberg's reduction of Das Lied von der Erde - but all I can remember about it was that the Mezzo Soprano's voice could cut diamonds and the whole thing was painful as a result.

Svetlanov counducting Russian symphonic miniatures by Lyadov, Borodin, Mussorgsky, Glazunov et al. It’s an ancient live Melodya recording with the USSR Academic Symphony Orchestra. Dodgy SQ but bristling with atmosphere, reminiscent of some of the old EMI work under Legge with Adrian Boult/LSO- beautiful artistry.
The audience is better behaved than Mravinsky’s New Years Eve Leningrad live concert I have - there’s at least five lung cancers in that audience.

advertisement

Back