advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

Cédric Tiberghien's recording of Bartók's Mikrokosmos 5, Allegro barbaro, Bagatelles etc.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bartok-Mikrokosmos-Tiberghien-Hyperion-CDA68133/dp/B01JNP055W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1510004555&sr=8-3&keywords=tiberghien+bartok
Bought last night at Wigmore Hall, where he gave an interesting programme that started with Prokofiev's Visions Fugitives (20 miniatures I'd not heard yet) and continued with Philippe Hersant's In Black (written for him). Very enjoyable concert by a superb young(ish) pianist.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
51Jb0LGQayL._SS350.jpg

Bartok: Music for Strings, Percussion & Celesta - Seiji Ozawa & Saito Kinen Orchestra. I'd forgotten I had this SACD until Todd covered it in his Concerto for Orchestra survey.

next up - Martinu: Concerto for double string orchestra, piano & timpani. James Conlon/Orchestre National de France

Having a break from 'Great Works' this morning: Ibert, followed by some Alkan, maybe even some G & S later on. Sometimes, playful seems to suit the mood.

Heard this in a Remembrance Day service yesterday. New to me and very moving.
#

CD6 of Gulda's box of Beethoven piano sonatas, incl. the Waldstein (Brilliant Classics re-issue of the Amadeo).
41rxezrqg5L.jpg

Despite repeated attempts over the years, I still struggle with this set at times. I admire the energy and ease, but the dry sound and generally fast tempi are probably just not my thing. Some sonatas sound unrelenting, others a bit casual, while others are quite lovely.

Night Ride and Sunrise from this superb disc that's been played regularly since I obtained it 20 years ago.
R-4274580-1432635300-3001.jpeg.jpg

Today

Mozart Symphonies 24,25,29 and 31. The English Concert, Trevor Pinnock from the Archiv boxset.

Mike Westbrook Glad Day, Settings of William Blake, a sort of Jazz Cabaret octet.

advertisement

Back