advertisement

The Chord DAC bandwagon

As AmberAudio said, the dCS Bartok (like the Rossini) includes the streamer. He forgot to mention that the ergonomics are in a different class with an informative screen instead of a set of refer-to-the-manual colours, none of the sockets are recessed into the case work so will take whatever choice of cable you like... Oh, and the internal firmware can be updated via internet.
It’s also a high quality Pre Amp, none of the other DACs with a volume control I’ve tried, not even the RME have made me want to use them direct to Power Amps, the Bartok is that good I’m looking at an ADC so I can use it with my Phono stage and remove an Integrated/Preamplifier from the system.

If I needed a dac and had the mula I’d go for the DCS too although it might be Ott for headphone use!

OK great info - with reference to stratospheric pricing like the Dave and the dCS.

I guess I would be more focused on the very well reviewed Chord Qutest comparing against DACs of similar price.

I read somewhere on the Naim forum where someone swapped across from an Audio Note 2 DAC to the Qutest which sound like an interesting change in direction. The AN DACs are known for their musical organic quality - so I guess the Chord has a little bit more of the same despite being at opposite end of the spectrum implementation wise compared to an AN.

If I needed a dac and had the mula I’d go for the DCS too although it might be Ott for headphone use!
Not a big ‘phones guy, suspect it would be very good, if I were to go down the headphone rabbit hole I’d want to check out a top Stax rig against it.

OK great info - with reference to stratospheric pricing like the Dave and the dCS.

I guess I would be more focused on the very well reviewed Chord Qutest comparing against DACs of similar price.

I read somewhere on the Naim forum where someone swapped across from an Audio Note 2 DAC to the Qutest which sound like an interesting change in direction. The AN DACs are known for their musical organic quality - so I guess the Chord has a little bit more of the same despite being at opposite end of the spectrum implementation wise compared to an AN.
I had the Qutest and RME ADI V1 and kept the RME, sound quality wise pretty much nothing in it, features and ergonomics the Qutest lost. They both have filters but subtle changes only.

Also have the D90MQA flavour of the month for measurists, up there as a DAC but found it lacking used as a Pre, preferred to SONCOZ based on ergo/build, nothing in it sound quality wise, SONCOZ better VFM than all above.

I rather think that Chord is best heard and not seen or operated. The TT2 is a partial exception in that it does have a very good volume control; much better for me than pressing buttons on a remote control. The trick is to place it on an 8 inch high stool alongside ones chair and just lower ones hand on to it to control volume precisely. This also has the advantage that the unit is out of sight, for whilst the volume ball is very pretty, it is a visual distraction from listening to the music. It’s good that one can dim the prettiness, but I think it would be better if they had a few extra degrees of dimming.

I really like the look of my DAC64 (admittedly the switches at the back can be frustrating) and could probably find a better sounding DAC from one of the more current offerings, but enjoying how a thing looks and feels is part of the fun for me and I applaud Chord for doing something a bit different with their designs. It's not everyone's taste, but fair play to them.

I went from a Hugo TT to a 300 quid SMSL Su 9 and there is an appreciable sound quality improvement.

Chord products are great, but there is much more competition now compared to 3-4 years ago.

I really like the look of my DAC64 (admittedly the switches at the back can be frustrating) and could probably find a better sounding DAC from one of the more current offerings, but enjoying how a thing looks and feels is part of the fun for me and I applaud Chord for doing something a bit different with their designs. It's not everyone's taste, but fair play to them.
I agree on both points.
For the price it fetches these days the DAC64 is hard to beat - that's why I kept mine so long before leaping up the ladder to some dCS. Those switches on the back are a real pain if you use the DAC64 with a CD player for music and a DVD/BD for films.

There absolutely is. And John Franks with his snobbish remarks recently towards using the Raspberry Pi as a streamer, and Rob Watts' assertions that even the Mojo is superior to a Bartok, I don't think are doing Chord any favours at present. Pride comes before a fall and all that!
I have a Bartok and a Mojo, even blind I guarantee I’ll pick the Bartok out every time - it is much bigger than the Mojo.

There’s no contest, the Mojo is fine for what it does, and yes I’ve had it in the big systems, the dCS is way more enjoyable spinning a tune.

There absolutely is. And John Franks with his snobbish remarks recently towards using the Raspberry Pi as a streamer, and Rob Watts' assertions that even the Mojo is superior to a Bartok, I don't think are doing Chord any favours at present. Pride comes before a fall and all that!

Incredible arrogance.

I have a Bartok and a Mojo, even blind I guarantee I’ll pick the Bartok out every time - it is much bigger than the Mojo.

There’s no contest, the Mojo is fine for what it does, and yes I’ve had it in the big systems, the dCS is way more enjoyable spinning a tune.

how does the mighty Bartok compare to the RME? I am quite tempted to get an RME to use for my office system, DAC + headphone amp in one - very neat.

Is it me, or are the Chord range of DACs just getting incredible respect from audiophiles everywhere? I can't find a bad word said against their products - only excellent reviews from magazines, YouTube videos, forums, they are very well liked!

I've been interested in some of the DACs overseas like Lampizator or from Mojo Audio (used examples mind you - they are quite expensive).

Should I just stick with home grown Chord, like, well most other audiophile nowadays it seems :p

I know - audition audition audition - it's a tad hard to audition some of these DACs - so your experiences would be interesting.
I rate them highly. I liked the Hugo so much I bought the mark 2 as well when it came out. Very high SQ. heard the Dave at a dealer show and if I had the wonga, I wouldn’t hesitate.

how does the mighty Bartok compare to the RME? I am quite tempted to get an RME to use for my office system, DAC + headphone amp in one - very neat.
I prefer it, whether it’s worth the dosh and by how much better it sounds I can’t say, you might not rate it at all. Of all the sub £1k DACs I’ve tried the RME is the best value and right up there sound quality wise and ahead on feature set.

The Bartok makes me grin, widely, the RME made me smile.

I still have a DAC64 mk2 and it sounds completely lovely to my ears, not sure how far up the range I would have to go for a major improvement. Nice company to deal with too - I have the matching transport and the rubber 'O' ring that stops the lid from clanking down perished after 10 years. I emailed them for a price and received 3 of them foc. Nice touch that.

John Franks had an opinion did he? Outrageous, we never hear that from other captains of industry, no not at all. :)

Quite a bit of love here for Chord - affirming the fact the the SQ quality these produce throughout the range are excellent. Perhaps the Mojo isn't better than the Bartok - but there you go!

So does a Mojo give you a hi-end flavour of Chord, or should a Qutest be a minimum as reference?

So, any other DACs that might give the Chord a good beating (I guess it's down to taste)?

Any Audio Note vs Chord experiences here? Or even Mojo Audio and Lampizator DACs?

advertisement

Back