advertisement

The Car cleaning section , Please join in

Quite a lot of work done to the car recently; just had the inside rear out too, to swap out the damaged rear-blind parcel shelf for a standard one (no rear blind); it's a fiddly/faffy job in an E39, not difficult, just lots of steps!

Grom audio BT3 Bluetooth (A2DP, hands-free) kit fitted also

Treated all the leather with Mega Leather Conditioner; comes up superb and dries satin

You seem to spend a lot of time effort and money tarting up a car and then sell it, are you going to keep this one a bit?

You seem to spend a lot of time effort and money tarting up a car and then sell it, are you going to keep this one a bit?

What an absolute smart arsed comment...

There really are some gobshites in this forum..

The **** has it got to do with you what I do with my cars / money / time?

Nothing.. Exactly!

Oh dear , I take it you are not a car enthusiast . Not a petrol head , Not proud of the vehicle you drive ( if you have one ) A lot of members on PF are . And are prepared to pass on info on products that bring the best results . I think it's called being proud of your vehicle and why not . As said Oh dear :(

Oh dear , I take it you are not a car enthusiast . Not a petrol head , Not proud of the vehicle you drive ( if you have one ) A lot of members on PF are . And are prepared to pass on info on products that bring the best results . I think it's called being proud of your vehicle and why not . As said Oh dear :(

Are you kidding?! I'm a massive petrol head. It was a fairly innocuous question I thought, maybe enjoy it a bit before getting rid is all.

Come on lads, I didn’t see Matt’s question as snide, it came across as a simple question as you’d say to any mate, Matt wasn’t taking a swipe.

Come on lads, I didn’t see Matt’s question as snide, it came across as a simple question as you’d say to any mate, Matt wasn’t taking a swipe.

No; it's a gobshite question!

If it was a genuine question; it wouldn't have used 'tarting' in it...

As blunt as I am; I'd never ask someone who I do not know a question like that!

Are you kidding?! I'm a massive petrol head. It was a fairly innocuous question I thought, maybe enjoy it a bit before getting rid is all.

Using the wrong words pal; it's as simple as that!

My previous touring was with me nearly 3 years; sold because someone offered me the right money!

The F01 went because I now work for Meta and from home, Monday to Friday & not for myself. So having a big diesel on the drive, not getting used for weeks at a time isn't good for the car; so it went

However, that's naff all to do with you or anyone else; as I previously stated!

I am a massive petrol head, love my car, am proud of it......but I have no interest whatsoever in spending hours cleaning it, detailing it........etc...I just don't care. Mine gets washed by the nice men at Tesco

Nevertheless the effort people go are impressive and the outcomes look nice

No; it's a gobshite question!

If it was a genuine question; it wouldn't have used 'tarting' in it...

As blunt as I am; I'd never ask someone who I do not know a question like that!

I'd say tarting it up for anything, I'm currently tarting up my LP12, after which I'll go and tart up the work van as that GTechniq w6 stuff you suggested has just turned up for the wheels.

I wasn't having a go, it just seemed that you get rid of them just as you have them spot on and someone else then gets the benefit of your hard work!

So back on topic...

I need new snowfoam as I'm on my last dregs of KKD and it's been ok, but not great...

Usual suspects are BH Autofoam (it's been great TBH) and then AG Polar Blast; does a great job but lingers, for ages!!!

Anyone used BH Touchless, any good? What about Autobrite Magifoam?

Or do I just ease the pain and stick with BH Autofoam?!

I've used a combination of products successfully for a number of years:

Ultimate Snow Foam (@ hifilover1979)
Chemical Guys - Citrus Wash & Gloss Concentrated Car Wash
P222 wax
P40 Detailer spray
(wash, wax and detailing spray all chosen because they contain Carnauba)

Only woks on a non-ceramic coated car - I've just bought an ex-dem which has been Glasscoated so I asked my supplier what would happen if I used my regular products - 'no harm but you'd end up with a waxy not a glossy finish and waste time and effort waxing a car that didn't need it'. So I've stuck with the Sno Foam and chosen the matching pH neutral shampoo and substituted GTechniq Quick Detailer. First wash next week...DGP

A lengthy read ->

After many months of waiting, the new car finally made it to me.
Months of prep time and buying 'stuff' ready for its' arrival.
Not a fan of 20" ( & pretty naff IMO) and 'runflats' I had ready a new set of 'staggered' 19" with Conti 7 non run flats (the car comes with no jack either - thats another story)
They were treated to a full once over with CarPro 'ReTyre' and the tyres treated with Dr Beasley tyre cream.

Rims were scrupiously cleaned and then treated with Qjutsu wheel ceramic (along with the calipers when new rims fitted)

Car was a lot of work, and needed to be kept dry and constant humidity if poss, so three days in the warehouse, once cleaned..

First De-contaminated all lower panels for tar and iron fall out (very little as only 33 miles)
Then a weak citrus pre soak.
Two snow foam with Auto Brite.
Dried..

All paintwork single corrected with CarPro Essence and 'orange' foam pad / D/A. Very easy!
Impressive results there.
Two coats of CQ30 quartz UK. Easy
Polished to a deep shine.
Left overnight then
2 coats of CarPro Gliss. Easy
Windscreen and rear screen Fly By Forte (2021 edition) treated- very hard work, hopefully worthwhile.

Swapped rims over and did the calipers with remaining Qjutsu.

Future snow foams will be with 'Re Set' and now looking for the De Ioniser unit and air blower so it never needs wiping down, well, hopefully.

Not something I would look to do as a job, or even yearly on this car being honest.
Never done this level before, but then, I never have had this sort of result before.
I now have that T shirt.

I've gone for BH Autofoam; forgot I had a £10 "Amazon voucher, so it's gone on that!

Ordered the Gtechniq W1 G Wash too; see how that goes. Ordered one of their wash mitts too as a few of mine are falling apart!

I parked my car near Weymouth beach for a couple of days and it ended up with a thin layer on sand all over it, with a smattering of seagull contents to bed it all in.
I will admit to getting the hose out to get the worst off, but that’s as good as it gets :)

Took advantage of the warm but dull weather here and gave the BMW rust bucket a wash; covered it crap from the roads after the torrential pourdowns here last week

Have to say; I'm really liking BH Autofoam; 150ml of it with warm to hot water in my Autobrite snowfoam canon works perfectly; it lifted all the sandy/country road shite off the rear quarters and sills of the car very well, all just ran off nicely when I rinsed the snowfoam off before hand washing...

The KKD snowfoam is good; but it's too myc like AG Polar Blast and lingers for absolutely ages; the BH Autofoam disappears within mins of being on the ground

Any thoughts about what to do with brake calipers? My Volvo V60CC has calipers which are a bit rusty externally. I'd like them to look clean and smarter. Coloured (red, yellow, blue, etc) calipers aren't really in keeping with the car. What can I do to spruce them up a bit? And if painting, I'd probably go with a silver or grey to keep them discreet, but do you need a high temperature paint?

Any thoughts about what to do with brake calipers? My Volvo V60CC has calipers which are a bit rusty externally. I'd like them to look clean and smarter. Coloured (red, yellow, blue, etc) calipers aren't really in keeping with the car. What can I do to spruce them up a bit? And if painting, I'd probably go with a silver or grey to keep them discreet, but do you need a high temperature paint?

Here we go; the PH thread on my previous F01 730D when I did the calipers; further down this page and onto the next, you'll see the paint I used and the applicators too:

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=47&t=1952011&i=160

Hope that helps :)

I've yet to do this on my E39 540i; it'll be done in the next week or so using the same wire brushes, paint & applicators etc

This is what I used (gloss silver):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MP-Essentials-Motorbike-T...

And used these to apply the paint:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Foam-Brushes-20-Pkg-1-Wid...

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Is there such a thing as a snow foam attachment for a regular garden hose on decent pressure mains water? I'm not looking to get a pressure washer (another thing to store in the garage) but would like the benefit of snowfoam to lift the dusty loose crap off the car before washing. If they are all crap i will not bother, but was just a thought.

advertisement

Back