advertisement

The Car cleaning section , Please join in

Slightly OT, but anyone here have any advice on what to use to stick a tailgate door seal back on to a freshly painted tailgate? The old sticky on there has lost it’s sticky. Should I mask it up and use contact adhesive?

cheers

Slightly OT, but anyone here have any advice on what to use to stick a tailgate door seal back on to a freshly painted tailgate? The old sticky on there has lost it’s sticky. Should I mask it up and use contact adhesive?
cheers
If you can find it - 3m adhesive promoter, and some 3m automotive double sided tape.
Contact adhesive will just strip your paintwork.

If you can find it - 3m adhesive promoter, and some 3m automotive double sided tape.
Contact adhesive will just strip your paintwork.

Agree, 3M double sided tape (you can get it in 5mm width etc) or you could use something like W4 mastic (via Amazon) and just peel small pieces off, roll it thin, press it into the cavity and then press the seal home (use a rubber mallet gently in places etc)…

Last edited:
I'd use something like black acrylic sealant, it's paint and rubber safe, easy to use and I have it in the garage. I've used it for a good number of repairs. The suggestions above are good though, it you are buying something you may as well buy the proper stuff.

Tried out Bilt Hambers Surefex HD APC at 5% as a pre wash over the weekend. Sprayed it on with a cheap Wilko’s 2L hand pump garden sprayer. Left it for a couple of minutes to dwell then power washed it off. Couldn’t believe how much dirt it removed. Used the car the next day so more road grime to try it again but just rinsing off with a garden hose to see if it was the pressure washer doing the work but no, very similar results.

I've got BH’s Snow foam to try out too as I’ve read & seen good results without having the excess levels of foam from AG’s Polar Blast/ABD Magifoam that I seem to I spend more time trying to rinse away off the drive than cleaning the car!

I’ve seen some spray the BH Surefex on first then the Auto Foam over that then power rinse the lot off. I think that would be nice quick winter cleaning method for this time of year.

So far, I’m seriously impressed with BH’s products.

Tried out Bilt Hambers Surefex HD APC at 5% as a pre wash over the weekend. Sprayed it on with a cheap Wilko’s 2L hand pump garden sprayer. Left it for a couple of minutes to dwell then power washed it off. Couldn’t believe how much dirt it removed. Used the car the next day so more road grime to try it again but just rinsing off with a garden hose to see if it was the pressure washer doing the work but no, very similar results.

I've got BH’s Snow foam to try out too as I’ve read & seen good results without having the excess levels of foam from AG’s Polar Blast/ABD Magifoam that I seem to I spend more time trying to rinse away off the drive than cleaning the car!

I’ve seen some spray the BH Surefex on first then the Auto Foam over that then power rinse the lot off. I think that would be nice quick winter cleaning method for this time of year.

So far, I’m seriously impressed with BH’s products.
5% addition rate? Wowsers. It wants to work. It's only removing a bit of road dirt. 5% is degreasing engine bays territory.

Similar to above, I put about 200 ml of this stuff https://www.jennychem.com/products/tfr-ultra-flagship-product
into a 2 litre garden pump sprayer and covered the Audi recently to see how effective it was with all the recent motorway grime I'd accumulated. Left it to dwell on bodywork and wheels for 5-10 mins as I emptied the sprayer... was amazed that the power washer turned down seemed to remove almost all the muck... this stuff is cheap too so good VFM

I’ll try that next. :D

I’ll try it at 3% next time & see how it does.
Most of the foam cleaners I've encountered in food factories, and we use them a fair bit, are 1% usage. Foam, soak, agitate, rinse off. Agitation is key, you need some physical action.

It was a pre wash or TFR that we're using at those increased concentrations, generally the snow-foam at 1-2% max dilution

Most of the foam cleaners I've encountered in food factories, and we use them a fair bit, are 1% usage. Foam, soak, agitate, rinse off. Agitation is key, you need some physical action.
I just wanted to try a quick 5 minute non contact spray & rinse wash job. I’ll give it a go at lower ratio though & see how it works out.

Cheers, Rack.

I just wanted to try a quick 5 minute non contact spray & rinse wash job. I’ll give it a go at lower ratio though & see how it works out.

Cheers, Rack.

Exactly what I'll do sometimes with the citrus pre-cleaner I use. I use a 5l garden sprayer bottle, 250ml of the citrus pre cleaner from ValetPro and soak the car down; it works well, more so with the power washer, but it doesn't strip the dirt as well as a good snowfoam does

Agree too re the AG snowfoam; it does linger a LOT after it's been rinsed, but I found that 100-125ml of that with warm to hot water in my Autobrite snowfoam canon worked out to be the best dilution. I just drew a line on the bottle so I could see where to top up to and then add water. The BH snowfoam I've found ok; I've more or less used it all now and onto the KKD stuff which I think is even better

Exactly what I'll do sometimes with the citrus pre-cleaner I use. I use a 5l garden sprayer bottle, 250ml of the citrus pre cleaner from ValetPro and soak the car down; it works well, more so with the power washer, but it doesn't strip the dirt as well as a good snowfoam does

Agree too re the AG snowfoam; it does linger a LOT after it's been rinsed, but I found that 100-125ml of that with warm to hot water in my Autobrite snowfoam canon worked out to be the best dilution. I just drew a line on the bottle so I could see where to top up to and then add water. The BH snowfoam I've found ok; I've more or less used it all now and onto the KKD stuff which I think is even better

I've been getting through the AG snow foam lately and find it better at half the recommended dilution. Less foam and seemed to drag more dirt off. Interesting you've only found BH Ok, most reviews seem really positive. I need to find out the PIR amount with my set up first and go from there to get the 4% they advise.

I've been getting through the AG snow foam lately and find it better at half the recommended dilution. Less foam and seemed to drag more dirt off. Interesting you've only found BH Ok, most reviews seem really positive. I need to find out the PIR amount with my set up first and go from there to get the 4% they advise.

It's that bit that does my nut in; I'm a keen car washer, but faffing with percentages is just OTT

AG recommend 200ml, for me that was too much, tried half, wasn't enough and added a touch more and it was spot on for my preference, turned out to be 125ml; so marked the snowfoam bottle and that was it done...

With the BH foam; it's been hit n miss for me and I'm not the only one to say that. It has lots of fans and I'm not dissing it; I just don't think it's all that TBH

Cleaned the car inside thoroughly today in readiness for our jaunt up to the Highlands come Sunday

Contactless wash on the exterior; the alloys got fully hand-washed though as they were grey!

It's on/off hail & sleet here, so no point in doing a full wash as it'll be filthy 10mins after setting off on Sunday; but needs to spotless inside ;)

Used KKD snow foam and I'm really rating it; the pics are about 10mins of it dwelling and it strips a lot of crud off; lower quarters were coated in citrus pre-rinse first as the grime off the roads was baked on after all my chores this week:

https://thedetailingshack.co.uk/shop/kkd-blizzard-snow-foam-ph-neutral-tutti-frutti-1l/

Geyon tyre dressing to dress the tyres: https://thedetailingshack.co.uk/shop/gyeon-q²-tire-400-ml/

Tidy :)
I much prefer the 'inbuilt' screen on your dash comapred to the new G30's / i7 where it looks like a big iPad stuck there (if only it folded away)
The new i8 screens totally destroy the look of the car interior IMO, but hey - thats progress I guess.

Still got months to wait for mine (if it ever gets built at this rate) so Ill keep looking at yours and dreaming..

Tidy :)
I much prefer the 'inbuilt' screen on your dash comapred to the new G30's / i7 where it looks like a big iPad stuck there (if only it folded away)
The new i8 screens totally destroy the look of the car interior IMO, but hey - thats progress I guess.

Still got months to wait for mine (if it ever gets built at this rate) so Ill keep looking at yours and dreaming..

Agree; one thing that put my Dad off the G31 7'er; he's stuck with a new X3 3.0D M Sport for now until BMW make a decent EV that does the actual mileage they state and don't want £75k+ for the damn thing!

Blimey some prices are boggling , 1 ltr tutti fruity £8.50
Geyon tyre dressing £13.50 for 400 ml
Yikes :eek:

My Prado desperately needs a wash and brush up again , see what happens tomorrow weather wise

I gave mine a quick going over. Bucket and sponge, rinse, wheels got some of the red stuff and a scrub. Good enough, it's got to go to York tomorrow and it will be filthy again. At least the Welsh seagull droppings are off now, the jail and sleet before I started softened them up.

advertisement

Back