advertisement

The Car cleaning section , Please join in

My Arteon is done but Sahara rain has visited! So here is my Z4 before that same rain hit.

Clean/Clay mitt/Clean/Decontaminated/DAS6 pro Polished/FK1000p sealant applied/Final Megs Carnuba wax to finish. Tyres dressed in Megs tyre spray (applied with a foam pad).

jIZ4HOs.jpg

21MqpfL.jpg

qCVXKsH.jpg

Missed a bit :D

Good tyres; I'm a big fan of the Vreds as you'll know ;)

It’s the missing dust cap that upsets me :p

No surprise, that will work. A friend who used to work in glue manufacturing tells me that there is a hierarchy of solvents, various alkanes and alkenes to start with, benzene, etc, then the big guns are xylene, toluene, one being marginally more aggressive than the other, then when you've lost patience and the bastard is really going to dissolve, you reach for acetone or MEK. MEK is so aggressive that car painters use it to remove runs. Get it on a rag, rub hard, it dissolves the run without you needing to sand. They have to take care, it will dissolve all the paint it you use enough.

Paint strippers traditionally used chlorinated solvents that attacked the resin base of most paints AIUI. Chloroform is vicious and obviously dangerous to health. Dicholoromethane was the standard material but no longer permitted.

Tl/dr, xylene will work fine. So will others, petrol being my favourite because I always have it.

Finally managed to actually get access to my car cleaning stuff and wash my new (to me) car.

And as it came up rather nicely, and this thread popped into my head, I thought a photo might be in order.

Aqua Wax might be less than a purist’s ideal, but it can look pretty nice if I do say so myself.

51098193755_fa12dfc786_k.jpg

2kRnALB

Finally managed to actually get access to my car cleaning stuff and wash my new (to me) car.

And as it came up rather nicely, and this thread popped into my head, I thought a photo might be in order.

Aqua Wax might be less than a purist’s ideal, but it can look pretty nice if I do say so myself.

51098193755_fa12dfc786_k.jpg

2kRnALB

That looks superb and IMO Aqua Wax is a bloody good product. As is their Polar Seal...

Unless you're prepared to go all out and do a full in-depth detail almost every time you wash your car; then Aqua Wax/Polar Seal do a good job of protecting the car for a good few weeks/months and over a number of washes etc...

That looks superb and IMO Aqua Wax is a bloody good product. As is their Polar Seal...

Unless you're prepared to go all out and do a full in-depth detail almost every time you wash your car; then Aqua Wax/Polar Seal do a good job of protecting the car for a good few weeks/months and over a number of washes etc...

Ha! Pun fully intended, I hope?

Yeah it’s definitely good stuff.

I need to decontaminate the wheels a bit, so I thought I’d try some Dodo Juice stuff (never used them before) and a tester pot of one of their hybrid waxes also fell into the digital basket. So I’ll try that at some point, but in the meantime, and afterwards to top up, AW is spot on.

Have to use commercial cleaning bays over here in Spain so it's a wash and rinse with the lance and then I use a detailer spray.

I do it once a month and the car is kept in an underground car park so doesn't get too dirty.

Ha! Pun fully intended, I hope?

Yeah it’s definitely good stuff.

I need to decontaminate the wheels a bit, so I thought I’d try some Dodo Juice stuff (never used them before) and a tester pot of one of their hybrid waxes also fell into the digital basket. So I’ll try that at some point, but in the meantime, and afterwards to top up, AW is spot on.

Erm, you've lost me :D

advertisement

Back