advertisement

The Byrds - Complete Columbia Albums Collection

paul darwin

pfm Member
Just received the above from HMV for the princely sum of £28.68 for 13 cds an absolute bargain.

All 11 of their Columbia albums remastered with bonus tracks in vinyl replica sleeves which replicate the originals (so no mention of the extra material)

Also the legacy 2 disc set of Sweethearts of the Rodeo and 2 disc Untitled / Unissued.

A great 40 page booklet with all albums / tracks annotated by Byrds historian Johnny Rogan.

Whilst I know all Byrds fans like me will already have the albums on vinyl, cd, previous box set etc etc it is still an absolute steal for the asking price (which if you live in Newcastle you can get for £24.99 from Windows as I saw last week after I had ordered it)

I was going to post that all you need is this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001DUKHYA/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

The first five albums are their best and I know about Sweetheart etc. but I just like the early ones best, so there! However I am a klutz and the aforementioned first five albums cost MORE than the complete Columbia set so I agree with the first poster. Go and buy, the Byrds are (were) great.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Just received the above from HMV for the princely sum of £28.68 for 13 cds an absolute bargain.

All 11 of their Columbia albums remastered with bonus tracks in vinyl replica sleeves which replicate the originals (so no mention of the extra material)

Also the legacy 2 disc set of Sweethearts of the Rodeo and 2 disc Untitled / Unissued.

A great 40 page booklet with all albums / tracks annotated by Byrds historian Johnny Rogan.

Whilst I know all Byrds fans like me will already have the albums on vinyl, cd, previous box set etc etc it is still an absolute steal for the asking price (which if you live in Newcastle you can get for £24.99 from Windows as I saw last week after I had ordered it)
Shame they omit the Fillmore '69 and Albert Hall '71 live albums. The latter is essential. Clarence White's finest 70 minutes. I'd far rather have that than the highly optional Byrdmaniax or the live sides of Untitled.

Untitled is great, if you ask me. If Albert Hall 71 is better then I have to get hold of it ASAP

And now I have it, I still think the live bits of Untitled are better, but it is pretty awesome nevertheless.

Untitled is great, if you ask me. If Albert Hall 71 is better then I have to get hold of it ASAP
It's Byrdmaniax I think is optional...that and the '73 reformation LP. No live recording of the Hairy Byrds is, strictly speaking, inessential, although the Fillmore one is bit ragged. Clarence White was one of the best electric guitar players ever. Live he could be transcendent. Wish I had been around to see him, he died before I was born.

Mine turned up yesterday. It's going to be winging its way back to Amazon though because Turn! Turn! Turn! has DRM which means I can't rip it.

One of the punter reviews mentions it, but having ripped more than 3000 CDs over the last year or so with no DRM problems at all, I'd assumed my set-up would just ignore it.

Mine turned up yesterday. It's going to be winging its way back to Amazon though because Turn! Turn! Turn! has DRM which means I can't rip it.

One of the punter reviews mentions it, but having ripped more than 3000 CDs over the last year or so with no DRM problems at all, I'd assumed my set-up would just ignore it.

There are many, many bits of software which will strip DRM out. Many of them freeware. Why do you think that it died? It was rendered pointless.

Chris

I've just bought a new PC with Windows 7 - apparently that can be a problem with DRM. In the past I've used EAC instead of my usual DBPoweramp with difficult CDs, but I can't get it to run on the new PC.

Yes, I know it can be stripped off, and if I was prepared to spend a lot of time on it, I'm sure I could do it. However after an hour I hadn't managed it and that's about as much time as I'm prepared to spend trying to deal with Sony's crap behaviour.

It's also not the point. They shouldn't be shipping shoddy CDs.

£23.40 post free at zoverstocks

advertisement

Back