advertisement

The Breeders- new album

The Captain

~~~~~~~~~~
I'm enthused by this new release, & you can listen to the whole album (afaict) below. Bar songs 1 and 2 (v so-so) 3 onwards sounds great to me, some could even be straight off Pod- their finest album.

as Title TK was such a non-entity this is really good stuff Imo:

http://www.myspace.com/thebreeders

cpat

actually Im wondering about kelly deal's guitaring after a few listens now.. it's grating already; so amateur, I mean I'm NO fan of virtuosos (bar classical) but a modicum of talent seems a must- those solos are appalling (& not at all appealing) & the rhythm guitar's timing often school band std. Why cant they have got Tanya Donelly back? wtf is she doing anyway?

actually Im wondering about kelly deal's guitaring after a few listens now.. it's grating already; so amateur, I mean I'm NO fan of virtuosos (bar classical) but a modicum of talent seems a must- those solos are appalling (& not at all appealing) & the rhythm guitar's timing often school band std. Why cant they have got Tanya Donelly back? wtf is she doing anyway?

I was going to say... I've only given it a cursory listen so far but the chances of it reaching the greatness of Pod seem somewhat nil to me.

A few songs that do have the Pod (plod) tempo at least.. but yes without Brit Walford, Kelly Deal in for Tanja Donnely and poss without Steve Albini at the controls too(?) there seems little up there with Pod as a whole.

Should have realised; if I'm immediately taken by a 1st listen, chances are it'll wear thin- quickly.

Odd though; a Breeders gig in early 90's I saw had both Deals, a 'perfectly fine' drummer only (no BW or TD) & was possibly the very BEST gig I've ever been to: better than The Pixies who I saw around the same time'ish, who just churned out the whole Bossanova lp + few others in a godawful (albeit smallish) arena type venue.

At the risk of sounding a bit Max Mosley, Kim Deal singing in German is hot thoughbut?

A few songs that do have the Pod (plod) tempo at least.. but yes without Brit Walford, Kelly Deal in for Tanja Donnely and poss without Steve Albini at the controls too(?) there seems little up there with Pod as a whole.

Should have realised; if I'm immediately taken by a 1st listen, chances are it'll wear thin- quickly.

Odd though; a Breeders gig in early 90's I saw had both Deals, a 'perfectly fine' drummer only (no BW or TD) & was possibly the very BEST gig I've ever been to: better than The Pixies who I saw around the same time'ish, who just churned out the whole Bossanova lp + few others in a godawful (albeit smallish) arena type venue.

The gig they played in Blackheath town hall a fews ago featured every Breeders member past and present except Tanya. Best Breeders gig ever!

I'm glad it's not just me who suffers from this. I call it the 'Franz Ferdinand effect' as that's when I first noticed it. I got all excited about them for 2 weeks, bought the album, played it incessantly for those 2 weeks and haven't touched it since.

Here is the gig I saw in 1993- so good its centre stage on my ticket board whatnot:

Picture735-1.jpg

Capt

Here is the gig I saw in 1993- so good its centre stage on my ticket board whatnot:

Picture735-1.jpg

Capt

nice one...I keep all my used tickets inside of album covers (i.e. pixies, sonic youth etc) and newer ones inside of books... :)

think I've mentioned before - that I used to pinch the posters for gigs etc advertised at the old newcastle riverside (late 80's / early 90's) and had all the leaflets etc...I sold them all last year tho...but got 120 to some ebay seller...not a bad return ;)

being the saddo I am - I took photos of every poster.... :D

nice one...I keep all my used tickets inside of album covers (i.e. pixies, sonic youth etc) and newer ones inside of books... :)

I do the same! And being the saddo that I am this can also extend to flyers, press cuttings, posters/ads etc.

It's really nice though digging out a record you haven't played for years and finding some related ephemera hidden away in the sleeve :)

I do the same! And being the saddo that I am this can also extend to flyers, press cuttings, posters/ads etc.

It's really nice though digging out a record you haven't played for years and finding some related ephemera hidden away in the sleeve :)

yep....sadly, with my sale of the posters went all of my flyers..

but yeah, finding something like a ticket from 10-15 years ago is a lovely surprise..!

Rory how are you not deaf?!

Cheers

Rich

eh.. s'one say summink?

Those are probably only half the gigs I went to 'back then'. Either I was too drunk, stoned, or excited to remember to hang onto it after the usually sweaty (some disintegrated) gig. The one I do regret not keeping was Jimi Hendrix.. no I kid you.. Janes Addiction, at their prime. I saw a ticket on a fridge (dunno whose) months later, & from the same gig: this has been the only time in my life that I actively plotted thievery. No I didn't. F**K buggery I should have!

advertisement

Back