advertisement

The Blue Nile...................

I've got a good collection of the stuff that Paul did outside Blue Nile. This one is a favourite:

Easter Parade on the first album is another sublime tortured epic of emotion and just as good as Family Life.

How they make music so spine tingling using synthesizers, normally considered artificial and sterile is pretty amazing.

The piano playing on this track is so simple, yet aches with expression.

Its the silences between the notes that are just as important as the notes themselves (I think it was Eno that said something along these lines).

I have the first two albums on vinyl and also the original CDs.

BTW the original Linn Virgin CD of "Hats" sounds fantastic but it has pre-emphasis. So if you rip the CD it will not sound right unless you process it with something like Sox (to take account of the pre-emphasis)

I also bought the Deluxe 2 CD versions of the first 3 albums. I was not all that impressed with the new versions - the remastering made them sound worse than the original CDs. Also the Deluxe of "Peace At Last" had an audible glitch and Warners had to post a revised version of Disc 1 to those that complained.

I have all the band's CD Singles (some of which are quite rare). I can strongly recommend the two CD Singles issued for "Happiness" (one white and one red). On the white CD single is "Wish Me Well" (one of my all time favourite Blue Nile songs):-

...quite how that track never made Disc 2 of the Deluxe "Peace at Last" set I will never know.

Wish Me Well is a stunner. Thanks for posting.

For petes sake, no 'High' reissue and only/1000. Should be at least a 5000 release of each title and High has still never made it to vinyl.

A Walk Across the Rooftops and Peace At Last vinyl re-issues arrived yesterday they sound spot on to me, very pleased. I was expecting Hats but thats not going to arrive until just before Christmas.

That is very good news.

I ordered them through Amazon and all three are scheduled for delivery towards the end of next week according to my order details.

Amazon delivered Hats today, worse packaging I have ever received an LP in - basically a very thin plastic jiffy bag = no corner protection. Needless to say there a couple of big diagonal creases across top left corner of sleeve and I will be returning, what a waste.

My PAL came late last week, from Amazon, and the packaging was the standard LP mailer, so no damage to the cover.

Amazon - 2 LP's arrived - one in a mailer in a box - OK Other loose in a box arrived bent so going back. No consistency at all.

Have bought replacement and some Prefab from Germany jpc, hope they are well packed.

Paul Buchanan occasionally sang with the (smooth) jazz trumpeter Chris Botti, I saw them together years ago. Here’s a couple of tracks on YouTube, there may well be others. Not sure he quite hits the right note every time ..

Thank you for the heads up on this love the first track so have ordered the CD less so the second one will give that a miss .

Its the silences between the notes that are just as important as the notes themselves (I think it was Eno that said something along these lines).

Eno did say that.

Miles Davies, in similar vein, is also quoted, "it's not the notes that you play, it's the notes that you don't play"

All three LPs arrived yesterday. Half way through checking them...………………………..

11/10 so far on every single measurement possible. Superb. Incredible music so well mastered and pressed. Total magic.

If anyone gets wind of the High release, not so far announced in terms of date/availability so far as I can find, please let us all know here.

OK, I have played them though and my scores would be - Hats 9.99/10, WATR 9.5/10, PAL 9/10.

Hats is a total masterpiece in every sense.

Anyone compared these to UK 1st pressings? Curious as to what if any mastering decisions have changed. I’ve only got Walk and Hats on vinyl (got all albums on CD too), but both sound great to me.

advertisement

Back