advertisement

The best sounding piece of kit you've ever owned (or enjoyed the most)

QUAD ESL57s 1974 to 1988 in a perfect room. In some ways they were too revealing, squeaky drum pedals were the tip of the iceberg. Resonance between musical instruments on stage was obvious. I had to move so they went. They also showed up the limitations of the CD format far too much. After that I lost interest in HiFi and went flat earth which is a very different presentation.

Diapason Adamantes 3 - Pass Labs int 25, which also combines with Pass Aleph 0S + Aleph P. Superlative combination for me.
I also really enjoy an Exposure 2010S2 and Harbeth Hl5+

QUAD ESL57s 1974 to 1988 in a perfect room. In some ways they were too revealing, squeaky drum pedals were the tip of the iceberg. Resonance between musical instruments on stage was obvious. I had to move so they went. They also showed up the limitations of the CD format far too much. After that I lost interest in HiFi and went flat earth which is a very different presentation.

Oh yes , I agree

Probably the biggest enjoyment and sound quality from a product ive bought is a Sony Walkman WM-DC2 back in 1988, I saved up my summer holiday earnings from splitting wood in my wee argyll forestry village and ordered a DC2 and Koss Porta Pro's after seeing them on the cover of a hifi magazine in John Menzies (we used to bunk off from school in Oban all the time), it took weeks for the electrical store in Oban to get the unit in but it was worth the wait as I had been using a huge brick of an aiwa tape player, I absolutely loved that DC2 and the design/ergonomics were so far ahead of all the rest at the time and I can still remember the absolute joy I felt when my dad coming home from shopping with the two boxes. Best feeling ever.

That tape player is responsible for my current obsession with good sound.

https://walkmancentral.com/products/wm-dc2

TD150
SME3009imp
Grado FCE+
B&O 1700 tuner and amp
Acoustic Research AR7 loudspeaker
Bought 1974/75 as 21st Birthday presents and from a job in my last long Summer holiday as a student.

Townshend Rock mk 2
current Leben 600 valve amp and Hana ML cart, and my home made Tannoy 12" MG speakers
everything else, Id trade.

B+W DM 110s , designed as "digital monitors". A great pair of speakers. Had them for near 20 years. Still miss them (they died) :(

beolab-90-sound.jpg

https://www.stereophile.com/content/bang-olufsen-beolab-90-loudspeaker

Never heard piano, orchestras and dare I say it Dark Side sound so good. Heard DCS stacks, horns the size of a living room and valves costing £xxx,xxx and none came close.

Breathtaking.

LP12 with various upgrades always heard a difference may be subtle but for my ears an improvement. Also recently a Linn ASH and Exaktbox I Kat. Exakt for me is a step up from Aktiv, and suits my listening tastes very well.

Dan Clarke Ether2. Indifferent to headphones( tried both coil & electrostatic) until these.
Shahanian Arcs. Discreet, unfussy, no spikes, sublime sound.

I’d like to add the rather prosaic late 80’s combo of Quad 606 and Kef 104/2 to my earlier post. An amp/speaker combo capable of filling a large room with sublime music at both low and unbelievably staggering SPLs.

advertisement

Back