advertisement

The best songs named after girls/women... in the world!

Tim Buckley :- Martha
Nick Drake :- Hazy Jane
Nick Cave :- Deanna, Watching Alice, Christina the Astonishing

Peggy Sue - Buddy Holly
Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine - Country Joe & The Fish
Martha - Jeffeson Airplane
Mona - Quicksilver Messenger Service (better than the Bo Diddley original)
Jennifer - Loyd Cole & the Commotions
Chris

1. L7ShUddLnxI
    Dion and the Belmonts - Runaround Sue

Suzanne - Leonard Cohen (hasn’t been mentioned yet). Beautiful song.

Edit: droodzilla mentioned it. Sorry!

A quick search suggests no-one has mentioned Eloise yet - one of the greatest overblown, melodramatic pop songs. Search out some of Barry Ryan’s performances if you don’t believe me!

Reactions: BJP
A quick search suggests no-one has mentioned Eloise yet - one of the greatest overblown, melodramatic pop songs. Search out some of Barry Ryan’s performances if you don’t believe me!

I saw him perform that song at the Liverpool Empire many years ago. Dusty Springfield was top of the bill.

Planet Claire

(How could I forget her, many years ago she worked as progress chaser in our art department. Lovely girl, quite a lot of her...)

Which would bring us round to A Whole Lotta Rosie, but that's another story entirely.

When I started this thread I was thinking only about finding the best songs that had a girl/woman's name as the title, not as part of the title. But as FZ said at The Filmore East in '71: I know when I'm licked... all over!

Ok then, Phil Lynott wrote two different songs titled Sarah with Thin Lizzy, one earlier one for his grandmother and the better known later one for his daughter

I saw him perform that song at the Liverpool Empire many years ago. Dusty Springfield was top of the bill.

I cede the points to you there. The best I can offer is Frankie Vaughan topping a variety bill at the Bournemouth Winter Gardens and a vague recollection of seeing The Bachelors in panto. Perhaps they sang their chart-topper Diane, he said trying to bring his post back on-topic.

Planet Claire

(How could I forget her, many years ago she worked as progress chaser in our art department. Lovely girl, quite a lot of her...)

Which would bring us round to A Whole Lotta Rosie, but that's another story entirely.

Planet Claire (B52’s) is the first track that came to my mind.

And Ode to Joyce - HMHB.

The girl's name song to end all girl's names songs......

Hey Joyce
Rock and Roll never gave you a voice
It’s never given you so much as a lament
So I went to the store
And I bought a guitar
To bestow this accolade on you
Just you
Not Sally, Carrie-Anne or Peggy Sue
I’m going to spend my next half day with a girl called Joyce

advertisement

Back