advertisement

The best of Rotel amplifiers

I had my Primare back briefly (before it failed again!) and there was no “Wow!” moment after three weeks with the Rotel. A bit of an eye (ear?) opener.

I think amplifiers are one of the least critical parts of the chain. Well, they are important but not necessarily for the reasons people think.

Amplifiers can muck up the sound. An amp you don't like the sound of can't be fixed but if you have one that gives the kind of sound you want, and it can drive your chosen speakers properly, you'll almost certainly get bigger gains by upgrading something else.

Not saying a better amp can't sound..better but the differences are often small for the amount of money they cost.

I think amplifiers are one of the least critical parts of the chain. Well, they are important but not necessarily for the reasons people think.

Amplifiers can muck up the sound. An amp you don't like the sound of can't be fixed but if you have one that gives the kind of sound you want, and it can drive your chosen speakers properly, you'll almost certainly get bigger gains by upgrading something else.

Not saying a better amp can't sound..better but the differences are often small for the amount of money they cost.
I’ve come to agree. Recent ‘playing around’ has left me more convinced that Source and ‘Speakers are the biggest areas of gain. Any half decent amp won’t get in the way.

I’ve come to agree. Recent ‘playing around’ has left me more convinced that Source and ‘Speakers are the biggest areas of gain. Any half decent amp won’t get in the way.

Hang on. I've spent how much on this new Naim amplifier box and the difference is how small? And I've substituted a cheap Rotel and at low levels..I'm forgetting I've done it??

I bought Meridian pre-power amps years ago and since then I've never thought about upgrading the amplifier. Not once. I will admit I have toyed with the idea of swapping it for an integrated amp but to free up shelf space, not to improve the sound. Been wondering if one of the current Regas could match the Meridian but in one box instead of three.

Funnily enough I’ve been toying with separating out into Pre/power combo. Once the Primare returns and I’m happy that it’s working perfectly, I’ll look at moving it on and exploring pre/power. An itch to scratch maybe?
The Primare is lovely, in fairness. As an object and as a device, but having had to live without it for a time has certainly opened me up to redistributing the Hi-Fi pennies.

Once the Primare returns and I’m happy that it’s working perfectly, I’ll look at moving it on and exploring pre/power. An itch to scratch maybe?

To be honest, I don't think the number of boxes an amplifier comes in has much to do with how good it sounds. I understand the theoretical benefits of separating noisy bits from quiet bits but in practice lots of manufacturers seem to get around that obstacle perfectly well. And of course introducing multiple unnecessary cables and plugs into the signal chain is not ideal either.

I'm not saying you won't find a pre-power that you prefer to the Primare but the fact that an amp is a pre-power certainly isn't any sort of indication that it'll be better.

I'm not saying you won't find a pre-power that you prefer to the Primare but the fact that an amp is a pre-power certainly isn't any sort of indication that it'll be better.
I totally agree with you. my Primare has the additional MM30 DAC module, which I no longer need, so it’s over spec’ed for my needs. A fair chunk of its worth is tied into that DAC, so have been toying with liquidating it.
I’ll do a bit of research and see what becomes available. I’m in no rush and when I’m listening to music I don’t give it a second thought.
Part of this hobby is scratching those itches - even it it turns out to be a mistake lol.

My Primare has the additional MM30 DAC module, which I no longer need, so it’s over spec’ed for my needs. A fair chunk of its worth is tied into that DAC, so have been toying with liquidating it.

I've kinda got to a point in my life where I'm inclined to leave things alone if I'm happy with the way they sound. For example, I'm using a Rega Saturn-R as a CD transport. I could sell it for a grand and buy a dedicated transport but I like the music I get off CD so why risk messing with it? I periodically toy with the idea of buying an Isis but I like the music I get now, so do I really need one?

In the past I was much more likely to do as you say, scratch the itch, but now I'd rather be listening to music. Getting old maybe ;0)

What seems to be a reasonably well informed discussion here

https://cheaptubeaudio.blogspot.com/2011/08/review-rotel-rb-870bx-amplifier.html

Anyway, I've ordered a cheap and dirty example of an RB-870BX from ebay on the strength of it, and because I'm so impressed by the Rotel amp I have! I have a theory -- that the leanness of the sound, the wiryness, the litheness, comes from a deficiency in the preamp section, so it'll be interesting to hear a top of the range power amp.

So first impressions of the RB 870BX with Spendor SP1 and a Theta DAC, no pre.

1. The build quality is much more quality feeling than the Rotel integrated - everything feels top notch - the binding posts, switches. It is reassuringly heavy.

2. I’m going to steal an expression of Tony’s (I think it was him who used it) - it loses itself. It hides. It sort of vanishes, there’s no sense of it colouring the music.

3. The image has the stability in 2 dimensions at least which impressed me about the smaller Rotels. The same sense of air between the air. It is a detailed and transparent image.

4. Here’s the big difference: the attack of notes is really impressive. A very vigorous, realistic attack. I’ve been listening to voice and flute and string quartet (Sciarrino stuff with extended instrumental techniques), and the quartet especially was astonishing.

5. Too soon to comment on timbre. Ooooh - as I was typing this piano came into the music, and it was really impressive.

Way, way back I pitted an RA-820BX2 against an 840BX2 in a dealers room bout. In the context of the rest of the system, the 820 knocked the 840 out.

I picked up an RA-840BX3 recently. I rather like it, especially since I've sorted a nasty transformer hum (input voltage set too low). It has more precise imaging than my long-serving warhorse A&R A60 and a little more punch, although I reckon the A60 has an easier sense of dynamics. Performers, in good recordings, have their own acoustic spaces. It appears more detailed without sounding etched. Tonally neutral, it shows how coloured the A60's midrange is (much as I like its slightly forward nature). Into my Diamond 2s, I'm finding it just as engaging as the A60. Apples vs pears.

Its build quality is the only real negative. Here it's slayed by the A60. The Rotel has a typical tin box construction common to many Japanese amps in its price range. The board is full of good components - leaning in all directions.

My very first system was based around an RX-203. At the time I don’t think I knew what a Watt was. It only had 20 each side. It was fed by a slope topped, top loading Aiwa tape deck, and drove AR18s.

This was in my uni days, and was played for hours every evening where it was set up in the lounge of the house four of us shared. It was also the star of the show at many parties, and on one occasion we’d been playing it loud until the early hours - this in a terraced house - when finally two police officers arrived. I answered the door and luckily had been chatting to one of the prettiest girls on the planet (who I never did pluck up the courage to ask out!) and who was standing next to me. The two now completely disarmed officers asked ever-so-nicely if we’d turn it down just a little.

The next day I found we’d fried both the tweeters. Took the AR18s back under warranty and they were replaced FOC.

I was deplorable in 1982 it seems.

Rotel amps were a good match for Diamonds. Their lean, punchy sound complimented the Diamonds slightly soft sound and the results were really good.
Funny, I bought the Rotel to power some brand new speakers I had in mind. But the old Diamonds aren't going anywhere right now.

Funny, I bought the Rotel to power some brand new speakers I had in mind. But the old Diamonds aren't going anywhere right now.

The original and MkII Diamonds are special. Oddly, they don't sound it if you partner them with a lot of the budget kit that most people would use with them but with better kit I'm front of them they really come together. Particularly, they need more power than most budget amps at the time had. Run them at all loud with 20wpc and kiss goodbye to your drive units.

Get them on decent stands and well fed and it costs a lot more to better them. I still have a pair in the loft, just because.

I always feel Rotel don’t quite get the rewards or kudos for their line of Hugo. They have some gear and their history is impressive. They seem to be well made, no frills products in most cases and have reliability and longevity on their sides. I expect a historic Rotel integrated would pair well with some JPW minims. May save up for a second system.

The original and MkII Diamonds are special. Oddly, they don't sound it if you partner them with a lot of the budget kit that most people would use with them but with better kit I'm front of them they really come together. Particularly, they need more power than most budget amps at the time had. Run them at all loud with 20wpc and kiss goodbye to your drive units.

Get them on decent stands and well fed and it costs a lot more to better them. I still have a pair in the loft, just because.
Yes, I’ve felt so since a time long ago when I ran them with a Cyrus 2/PSX.

I always feel Rotel don’t quite get the rewards or kudos for their line of Hugo.

I don't know that range but even their budget amps are underrated in my opinion. I think they beat everything in their price range and you had to spend double or more to better them. I think of Rotel as like a cut price Naim. I played Rotel integrated amps against Naim amps and at lower volume they are scary similar.

I don't know that range but even their budget amps are underrated in my opinion. I think they beat everything in their price range and you had to spend double or more to better them. I think of Rotel as like a cut price Naim. I played Rotel integrated amps against Naim amps and at lower volume they are scary similar.
It meant to say products.Not wearing my glasses!

Funyy, discovering this revised thread. Since December, I've been covering Ebay offerings or Rotel power amps and Googling each that appeals. The reason was that I thought one of my EAR valved monos had gone down. I'm still looking, though, as it does seem to be a cheap way of getting an adequate, reliable power amp which would (just about?) power big Quad ESLs.

They weren't expensive when new and seem to fetch much the same amount as used now, which indicates an exc. depreciation aspect. (like much more expensive Naim). I'm limiting my search to the 70 w.p.c. models from the 80s, 90s and early noughties, and I have read that this period is the better one for Rotel power amplification.

I do do redundant kit, but could at least pair one of these up with my h/ph amp cum pre. to create a decent TV sound rather than rely on cans all the time. Hmmm!

advertisement

Back