advertisement

The best Live Album

2020 desperately needed a great live album.
Early indications are positive that Live Drugs is that album.
Talk about an appropriate title for the year !

That's bad, and also a surprise - I now may look out for a 2nd hand copy as a backup.
FYI, I just bought the Qobuz download of this for $9.99 US. One nice feature, the downloads are available in multiple formats. I thought I would have to download FLAC files and convert them to ALAC but Qobuz offers Apple Lossless as one of the download options, very handy.

Almost.

Sammy Davis Jr. did the club as well. Frank Sinatra is in the audience.

Sammy gets Buddy Rich on stage, just magic.

One of my favourite albums.

R-4813183-1376320563-1002.jpeg.jpg

More Images

Sammy Davis Jr. ‎– That's All! Recorded Live At The Sands Hotel, Las Vegas
Label:
Reprise Records ‎– RSLP 6237
Format:
2 × Vinyl, LP, Stereo
UK
Released:
Genre:
Jazz

Nah Sinatra was in a class of his own!

Nah Sinatra was in a class of his own!

I think the same of Sammy Davis Jr.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Frank Sinatra and have a few of his albums. Many are house favourites.
Frank has great story, I like the detail of him carrying money for the phone, related to the kidnapping of his son (this might well be boollocks, but I am well past caring (ref. Tipsy whatever)

I think Frank was an original. I would like to have been at his table for a few months.
(not to mention, the idea if getting trolleyed with Dean Martin :cool:)

edit: Sammy Davis Jr. wiped the floor, he was shat on from all sides, including his soo called mates. Agreed that he owed a lot to Frank, but Sammy would have been at the top of the pile in an equal scenario.

We will never know.

(except I do, and you don’t in this case...:(. )

Well I just had an experience of joyousness in reminding myself of just why I rate "Sinatra at the Sands" so highly....
A good loud one.. with the hi fi on top form, speakers well warmed up n all that.. CD version in stereo.

Wow. Literally spine tingling in places! To this geezers head/heart/taste/mojo interface anyhow:)

Oh, and as a recording... that's dynamics! If I hadn't measured the power output myself I'd have sworn they left a zero off the power rating of the Leak Stereo 20!

This is why we do it. I can truly say I was transported to a sonic cathedral of sound... 'N all that:):rolleyes:

What constitutes a live album?

an album of tunes recorded live over the course of a tour then played about with to get the “best” Outcome possible?

or

a recording of one show, start to finish, no edits over dubs just the raw recording?

I prefer the latter

I agree about "raw recording" being preferable.
Although as long as records are clearly labelled as "best of live", or the dubs are acknowledged then fair enough.

90% vinyl, i got carried away...

Bill Evans – Sunday at the Village Vanguard
Alison Krauss & Union Station – Live
Donny Hathaway – Live
Bill Withers Live – At Carnegie Hall
Misty River – Live at Backgate Stage
A. Jamal – Ahmad’s Blues: Live At The Spotlight
Leonard Cohen – Live in London
Chet Baker – Nightbird: Live At Ronnie Scotts
Clifford Jordan – Live at Ethell’s
Wynton Marsalis – Live at the house of Tribes
Miles Davis – Live around the world
Prince – One Night Alone…Live!
Frank Sinatra - Sinatra At The Sands
Harry Belafonte - At Carnegie Hall
The Weavers at Carnegie hall
Michel Jonasz – Fabuleuse
The Wailin’ Jennys – Live at the Mauch Chunck opera House
Rickie Lee Jones – Naked Songs Live and Acoustic
Melody Gardot – Live In Europe
Paolo Conte - Concerti
Linda Ronstadt – Live In Hollywood
Ryan Adams - 10 Songs from Live at Carnegie Hall
Ry Cooder – Live At The Bottom Line ’74
Herb Alpert & Hugh Maskela – Main Event Live
Hugh Masakela - Hope
John Prine – September ’78 Live
John Hammond – Live
Justin Townes Earle – Live At Grimley’s
Shelly Manne & His Men – At the Manne hole V1 & V2
Rodrigo Y Gabriela – Live in Japan
Chet Baker with Anke Johansson – Live in Sweden
Chick Corea and Gary Burton - Live in Zurich
Bill Henderson - Live At The Times
Neil Young - Live at The Cellar Door
Neil Young – Live at Massy hall
Hot Tuna - live at the New Orleans House
Deep Purple – Live on the BBC
The Allman Brothers – Live At The Fillmore east
Bob Dylan - Bootleg series vol. 4 live 1966 London
The Doors – live in New York
Lightnin Hopkins – Live in New York
Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus

Almost.

Sammy Davis Jr. did the club as well. Frank Sinatra is in the audience.

Sammy gets Buddy Rich on stage, just magic.

One of my favourite albums.

R-4813183-1376320563-1002.jpeg.jpg

More Images

Sammy Davis Jr. ‎– That's All! Recorded Live At The Sands Hotel, Las Vegas
Label:
Reprise Records ‎– RSLP 6237
Format:
2 × Vinyl, LP, Stereo
UK
Released:
Genre:
Jazz

Saw this LP in our local charity shop today for a quid. Worth having then? I came away with a no barcode 1985 Never Mind The Bollocks... CD for £1.50 that I was well pleased with. Maybe I should go back for this tomorrow if it’s still there.

Saw this LP in our local charity shop today for a quid. Worth having then? I came away with a no barcode 1985 Never Mind The Bollocks... CD for £1.50 that I was well pleased with. Maybe I should go back for this tomorrow if it’s still there.

I would weigh up the alternatives.

I really think the title of this thread is wrong. It ought to be “The second best live album” because there can only be one number one and that is simply Space Ritual.

I really think the title of this thread is wrong. It ought to be “The second best live album” because there can only be one number one and that is simply Space Ritual.

@MichaelC, I saw your name as the latest poster on this thread and just knew that you would mention Space Ritual.

..and the correct answer is of course "Sinatra at The Sands" live double album with Count Basie and Quincy Jones.
It swings!
Loved Sinatra since my 20s. Just bought this CD on your recommendation as I’ve never heard this concert. Jeez it’s good. Absolutely at his peak here and the band are on storming form too. It’s as close to being there as we’re going to get.

Well I just had an experience of joyousness in reminding myself of just why I rate "Sinatra at the Sands" so highly....
A good loud one.. with the hi fi on top form, speakers well warmed up n all that.. CD version in stereo.

Wow. Literally spine tingling in places! To this geezers head/heart/taste/mojo interface anyhow:)

Oh, and as a recording... that's dynamics! If I hadn't measured the power output myself I'd have sworn they left a zero off the power rating of the Leak Stereo 20!

This is why we do it. I can truly say I was transported to a sonic cathedral of sound... 'N all that:):rolleyes:

Ordered. Ta for posting the recommendation.

I’ve got Rat Pack Live & Swinging, and despite it not being perfect (and having some, er, dated sentiments on display) it’s great fun. So looking forward to hearing the Sinatra set.

I’m listening to the LP version of Shadows And Light by Joni Mitchell and it’s absolutely stunning on all levels.The band is exceptional and the recording is fantastic. I’d forgotten how good it is and can’t recommend it enough.

advertisement

Back