advertisement

The best Live Album

Well, having come so late to this thread all my picks have been taken. However, one live set I have really enjoyed of late is...wait for it...Kim Wilde, Aliens Live. I kid you not. Since her return to music in about 2006 she has moved into 'Pat Benatar power-pop-rock' territory and with a couple of rock, as opposed to pop, albums behind her, this live set is a cracker. Her band (including brother Ricky on guitar and niece Scarlett, backing vox) is tight and well drilled and along with material from her recent past she revisits older stuff and reimagines them in a rock setting. No karaoke to backing tapes for Kim. Love it!

Since I first heard it in 1975 - Robin Trower Live (1975)

Radio Sweden Broadcast, and as a result has quite a different 'feel' to it as a result.
Like you I have loved this album since 1975, and was bummed to see the CD version is no longer available.

We were there, it was emotional. My favourite show / live experience by a long way.

R-9406091-1480004766-7635.jpeg.jpg

More Images

The KT Fellowship, Kate Bush ‎– Before The Dawn
Label:
Fish People ‎– 0190295920166, Concord Records ‎– CRE00303
Format:
4 × Vinyl, LP, Album
Box Set
UK, Europe & US
Released:
25 Nov 2016
Genre:
Electronic, Rock, Pop
Style:
Art Rock, Pop Rock

Well, lots of 'rawk' albums mentioned, but none by one band that have released 3 flawless live albums. The pick of which for me is probably AC/DC Live at the Atlantic Studios.

Japan - ‘Oil On Canvas’

not all live, but most of it is. (Hammersmith, London)

‘Sons Of Pioneers’ Tour
I saw Japan in Portsmouth, Guildhall, October 1982. We were at the front, leaning on the stage, smack in the middle.
Wife (#1) caught Steve Jansen’s drumstick when he threw it.

This album brings the evening back to life. I really could have done without Masami Tsuchiya giving the guitar action, but otherwise it was a cracker.

Bizarrely, David Rhodes (session guitarist who has played with many a good artist) was playing in the Japan concert and the Kate Bush show that I listed earlier :cool:

R-27722-1486586244-8258.jpeg.jpg

More Images

Japan ‎– Oil On Canvas
Label:
Virgin ‎– VD 2513, Virgin ‎– VD2513
Format:
2 × Vinyl, LP, Album, Stereo, Gatefold
UK
Released:
Jun 1983
Genre:
Electronic, Rock, Pop
Style:
Art Rock, New Wave,

I haven’t read back through ten pages of suggestions, but a bunch of live recordings I rate highly would include:

Curtis Mayfield, Curtis Live
Burning Spear, Live (1977)
Lucinda Williams, Live at the Fillmore
Sam Cooke, Live at Harlem Square Club 1963
Velvets, 1969
The Quintet, Live at Massey Hall
Karen Dalton, Cotton Eyed Joe

Deep Purple's Made in Japan;

Peter Frampton's Frampton Comes Alive;

Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous;

Free Live;

Uriah Heep's 1973 Live;

Yessongs;

Rory Gallagher's Irish Tour '74;

Tangerine Dream's Encore;

Mountain Live;

Dream Theater's Live Scenes from New York,

Rush's All the World's A Stage

I wondered if anyone would mention the Heep live album, Still got the double gate album. Remember being gutted to find Gary Thain was no longer with us.

Pleasant Street going into You Keep Me Hanging On off Dream Letter is a total goosebumps moment.

*clang* I was there at The Borderline when that Mark Eitzel was recorded (a friend was doing his press at the time, and got me in; knowing I was a big AMC fan).
I am absurdly impressed by that! What a record. Must have listened to it twice a day as a happy-go-lucky 17 year old. Was that you shouting "Animal Pen"?

I am absurdly impressed by that! What a record. Must have listened to it twice a day as a happy-go-lucky 17 year old. Was that you shouting "Animal Pen"?

Good lord no, I would never be that uncouth.
It's a great album. I was delighted to find the CD of it dirt cheap a few years, lest I ever wear the vinyl out.

The same friend got me into the REM/Bingo Hand Job gig there as well - gawd bless her.
I had to dash from seeing Kristin Hersh just up the road to make it.

..and the correct answer is of course "Sinatra at The Sands" live double album with Count Basie and Quincy Jones.
It swings!

Almost.

Sammy Davis Jr. did the club as well. Frank Sinatra is in the audience.

Sammy gets Buddy Rich on stage, just magic.

One of my favourite albums.

R-4813183-1376320563-1002.jpeg.jpg

More Images

Sammy Davis Jr. ‎– That's All! Recorded Live At The Sands Hotel, Las Vegas
Label:
Reprise Records ‎– RSLP 6237
Format:
2 × Vinyl, LP, Stereo
UK
Released:
Genre:
Jazz

On reflection, the most moving and dramatic concert recording I've heard is Leonard Cohen live at The Isle of Wight Festival.

advertisement

Back