advertisement

The best Bond? Not sure I agree.

so what do people here consider the 'quintessential', purest bond film? for me it's maybe Dr No or Thunderball ...

Best to worst:

Craig-I think the best by far.Made him more human and believable with real grit ....and he gets hurt, a lot.The Bond franchise may not have survived without him really.And a ‘told you so to his early haters....Skyfall is the best Bond film ever.Stylish, emotional and exciting.
Connery-elegant, panther like Bond
Dalton-tried to do a Craig early on-nasty films though
Brosnan- Wooden and Moore-like
Moore-Moore-like-enough said
Lazenby-Worst by far- movie decent but for the cartoon-like editing
Niven-for completists but terrible film

I prefer Daniel Craig as I think he is the only actor that had portrayed Bonds cold & clinical demeanour, a bit closer in character to Flemmings Bond. Though I feel the Bond villians in his movies have been below par and no memorable henchmen or sidekick.
As for the rest, Connery was excellent in the older films, Moore was too hammy and corny, though as I boy I loved the 70's films, probably because of the gadgets, girls and cars, Brosnan was too preened and pouty and Dalton has little or no screen presence. I've only watched the Lazenby film once and can recall little of it, does his wife or girlfriend die at the end? I've never watched the film with Niven as Bond.

Said it before, but worth a re-run. 007 trivia and all that.

My wife had her bottom pinched by Sean Connery.

She regards him with disdain.

When I pinch my wife's bum, I am aware that Bond was there first...

so what do people here consider the 'quintessential', purest bond film? for me it's maybe Dr No or Thunderball ...

From Russia With Love. Not too much fantasy stuff and of course, the superb Robert Shaw. I also once worked for a lady who bore a startling resemblence to Rosa Klebb, not just in appearance. I was in a world of trouble when some insect reported her nickname to her.

It's non-canon because it wasn't produced by Cubby Broccoli. I wonder how they even got the rights?

AIUI, they didn't and based it only loosely on "Thunderball"; close enough but not so it would give Cubby's lawyers a fit of the vapours.

They should make all of the films (again) in book order.

certificate 15. Minimal humour, but in the vein of The Ipcress File.

A brutal Bond.

I can see them all being remade eventually. They probably won't go as far of the Ipcress File format though and I would have thought <15 Certs carry a bigger audience demographic for families etc. so that's a bummer. Your proposed format would be good though, I would like to see it!

Never liked Moore, too “Carry On 007” for my tastes. I grew up with Connery, which is probably why I’d put him at No 1, but I’ve enjoyed Craig’s films too.

The early films haven’t aged well, but that’s to be expected, and I don’t see Goldfinger style terry tooling romper suits making a comeback in the spy community any time soon.

I've only watched a few Bond films, but I. think the idea that the books could be filmed 'straight', as it were, ignores the way that society has moved away from the norms of the 50s/60s, particularly wrt women.

I get your gist, but I would still like them to be made 'harder' and not appeal to youngsters. I read all the Fleming books in order when I was young, and I liked the nasty edge. Bond (to me) is a nasty character who kills folk for a living. Not outwardly likeable.

There is no reason to stop all the films being remade with a female lead, and up to date from a current society point of view. I would watch those as well.

advertisement

Back