advertisement

The Best Audio Engineers

Sugano-San, Kondo-San, Peter Baxandall, D. T. N. Williamson, A. D. Blumlein, M. G. "Free Grid" Scroggie, Dudley Harwood, D. E. L. Shorter...

Interesting thread, started in Oct 2006 re-activated in July2008, Jan2010 and now Feb2011,
plus post#12 mentions the new turntables and tonearms from Avondale, which we may
see the first of this summer!

"The criteria could be those who have expanded the state of our art."
Then I can't comment. HiFi is a hobby, not an art, and I'm not an audio engineer.

Id pop up and say

The late Tom Fletcher of Notts Analogue dedicated and produced some fine TTs that have stood the test of time.

Tim de Pavaracini Inovative slightly mad imho but has produced some fantastic gear over the years.

Don't really think, as I hinted, that anyone is qualified to comment on this thread at all, since the criteria effectively prohibits such, and, anyway, how do we judge?

Although I think this is an exercise in futility, however, since every audio engineer under the sun probably deserves a nomination, then I'll go with the entire R&D departments of B&O, Philips and Sony.

We are all "qualified" by the fact we are blessed with freedom of speech!, its all just our opinions and its just a bit of fun, thats what forums are for so no need to get uptight about it, its not as though we are nominating people for a pulitzer award or somthing;):D

Alan

So it wasn't Ivor that suggested that 'speaker first' was a dubious theory?

So what do you think of my actual suggestions Lexi?

Your suggestions are always interesting my friend :)
The source thing first was obvious marketing as he produced a very profitable turntable. As were the Grace /Jelco arms and contracted cartridges. A great business man but in the same way as Thatcher was a great PM I suppose. Both leave a slight taste in the mouth :D

Rather than him being an innovator I see Hi-fi in UK still suffering from the overhang and dogma of that era........unlike other countries.

Transducers are far more important IMO and Linn/Naim never made any.

I.T. could market. His Dad and his Brother were probably better engineeers than him:D

As stated the unheralded research teams and developers must be up there.

for inventing multitrack recording and the electric guitar i vote for les paul.

also a great comedian and humanist.

prettiest audio engineer would have to be Linns Nina , i don't know If she still works there but she was GORGEOUS!!!!!

Heh - I wonder if she read that? I haven't seen Nina since Cambridge. If you see this I hope you're well old girl.

Edgar Vilchur for Acoustic research speakers early first - I have three pairs ARmst 1981- 1980
Tony Brady founder Onix and build the best shoe box amp 1981-1984
John Farlowe for the early Exposure Exposure IV/ VI/VII 1981
I do not know who build Dynavector 20a2 and Karat cartridges.
To me this is the best combination to get a great sound at a not high budget.
I could mention the creater of Naim, engineers for Thorens but ...

Dave Reich, founder of Classé Audio.

Ejvind Skaaning, AudioTechnology.

Billy Woodman, ATC.

Victor Sima, Simaudio.

Last edited:
A man whose time has not yet come, but sadly who died in 1996.

A brilliant mathematician and recording engineer.

The inventor of Ambisonics, a system for recording and re-playing full spherical surround sound, using only four channels in information.

Michael Gerzon History

Michael Gerzon Book

JC

I'm a big fan of Michael Gerzon. As you say, way ahead of his time and gone far too soon.

The British Library holds his tape archive - 1000+ recordings - but trying to access them is a nightmare...

advertisement

Back