advertisement

The Beatles - New Remastered Vinyl Stereo Box Set

not me!

id rather find new influences rather than dry humping the same bloated relic/corpse!

Obviously it's perfectly possible to do both. And doing both gives you a depth of understanding of how different genres of music interlink and cross over, rather than only understanding of a narrow corner of what is out there.

Just picked up the beatles remastered box set for £70 at a charity shop,missing yellow submarine and the box a bit worn and no book,am I happy? yes!:) I really only wanted a few but at that price it was a no brainer,records all look mint,but lots of fingermarks.

Nice. I'm intrigued to know how someone managed to make such a (relative) mess of it in such a short time though.

Art Dudley's rather long review of this set in the latest Stereophile (March 2013) may put a lot of you off buying this. The quality of the vinyl is apparently wonderful, but he was pretty down on the SQ of this (24/44.1 sourced) set.

A snippet from a recent Stereophile article about 2013 records to die for —

Half the fun of anything to do with the Beatles is the inevitable arguing. Nothing in the world of music can whip up a howling cataclysm of controversy like the mention of the band and its remarkable universe of music, which to my ears gets more singular and more predominant with every passing year. After 2009's wonderful boxed set of original albums on CD, all re-remastered—not remixed, which would have provoked worldwide rioting—comes the mother of all provocations, the spark to the Liverpudlian powder, as it were: the Beatles' Stereo Vinyl Box Set. Months before it appeared, when it was still just a glint in the eye of the folks at EMI, the voices for and against began to chatter. There is no fanaticism like Beatle fanaticism, and everyone has now chosen a side and pitched in (for the full story, check out www.analogplanet.com). No, the LPs were not pressed at RTI or a similarly high-quality facility. Yes, there is a raging debate about the merits of the sound quality. Some of the new LPs do indeed sound better than others. No, the record sleeves were not laminated. No, nothing will ever top the original UK pressings—or will it? Some retailers shipped the sets to customers in oversized boxes that damaged them. Some devotees find the outer sleeve that slips down over the entire set annoying. Almost everyone except the purist contrarians agree that the 252-page book that comes with the set is the finest individual Beatle collectible yet devised. Whatever your convictions, this set is beyond essential. Gorgeously packaged and remastered with great care—don't be silly—this music is where the phrase "to die for" began!
First Ian and Anex, now Stereophile is wearing me down.

Joe

Well, I have the Blue Box, first press UK mono's from AHDN to a top loading White Album, a Horzu MMT, misprint Abbey Road, assorted UK and MFSL stereo's, the mono box, and the 24 bit FLAC files.

I think I have everything covered so I've been strong and haven't picked this up. I'm sure that strength will disappear as soon as the Mono LP Box comes out though. Sigh/

not me!

id rather find new influences rather than dry humping the same bloated relic/corpse!

Good point unless you're lacking good copies already. Exploring fresh new music, by that I mean music never heard before by myself, is where I'm putting my money and efforts lately. The ability to stream using Pandora is helping in that regard and is becoming quite costly.

I was in Edinburgh, on Cockburn Street I saw this shrine and thought of Teddy Ray, Teddy this one's for you pal

I am getting a bit itchy to maybe buy this new vinyl box set.... I already have the Blue Collection Box set. Has anyone else done any comparrisons between the two?

Yes, the blue one comes in a blue box and has fewer songs than the new one which comes in a black box. HTH :)

[rubs hands in expectation of lots of old and inferior box sets hitting the s/h market cheap]

(Well I don't have any Beatles LPs at all, whatsoever and I bet I'm too late to save the ones from Teddy Ray's private little Säuberung)
No Rolling Stones either which I really think may be an oversight in my life.

advertisement

Back